Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175039 - 02/13/13 04:28 PM Nearing the end of the trail
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I wasn't too sure whether to put this post in "Off Topic" or here, but since this situation comes to all owners of 4-pawed hiking buddies, I decided to put it here.

Late last week, my dog Hysson, whom a few of you have met, was diagnosed with lymphoma. This a fast-spreading cancer of the lymph nodes, and its first symptoms are swollen lymph glands. It seems to hit Golden Retrievers especially hard, and Hysson is 1/4 Golden. I just found out that both his grandmother (pure Golden) and his mother (half Golden) died of this disease.

There is no cure for lymphoma, but chemotherapy can delay the end for 12-15 months. I really didn't want to put Hysson through that just to have him for an extra year, especially since he's already feeling the effects of age. The chemo also costs $6500, which to my mind, since it's not a cure but only a prolongation of life, is not worth it. After discussing the alternatives with a canine oncologist yesterday, I made the decision simply to put Hysson on prednisone, which will give him a good month or two before the symptoms return. Without the prednisone, especially since he was already starting to feel sick, he would go steadily downhill and be dead in a few weeks.

So I'm going to be spending the next month or two, depending on how long the prednisone continues to work, giving Hysson everything he wants (well, within reason) and doing the activities he's always loved. For starters we will be spending 5 days at the beach with the grandkids (who have next week off from school). Lots of brushing, lots of treats, lots of nice walks and short hikes, especially in places where he can be off leash.

When the lymphoma starts to return, I hope I have the strength of will to let him go right away, before he starts feeling sick. He has given me over 10 1/2 years of unconditional love, and I feel that being with him through the end and keeping him from suffering is the least I can do for him.

Kipling wrote a lovely poem about "giving your heart to a dog to tear." Well, mine is tearing. It's the inevitable downside of being the "parent" of a wonderful animal whose lifespan is shorter than our own.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/13/13 04:40 PM)

#175040 - 02/13/13 04:37 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
So sad for Hysson and you. The pain you are feeling is a reflection of how great a dog he is. I will be thinking about the two of you. Best of luck!

#175046 - 02/13/13 06:52 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
My condolences...I agree with your decisions and will probably follow a similar path with Mary, my Lab mix (and the best hiking partner ever). She is fifteen now and really getting feeble.

#175053 - 02/13/13 09:56 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I'm so sorry. Words can't describe the place a dog fills in a persons life. A dogs lifespan should more closely match ours. My heart goes out to you and Hysson.

#175055 - 02/13/13 11:02 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
Having been in a similar situation I understand how you feel. Feed him well,love him and when it's time sit with him as he goes so that he knows he is loved as unconditionally as he loved. It will be hard but he deserve to die with a friend not alone and scared.

#175057 - 02/14/13 01:44 AM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I've read about Hysson for years now and always you've expressed the greatest love and admiration for him as a hiking partner and companion. Additionally, you've always shown yourself to be a caring and responsible owner and I am sure Hysson appreciates all you've done for him.

Nothing I can say will reduce the ache of knowing Hysson's time left is short, but perhaps it will help a bit to say that through your posting, I know what a great dog he is and what a big place he has in your heart. I send you both my best prayers and wishes for a few more happy weeks together.

#175065 - 02/14/13 09:12 AM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
OregonMouse,

Count me with with all the others here who wish you the best through this difficult time. Hysson has become a mascot for all of us. He's earned our respect and we'll miss him. You have my prayers for strength and peace in these bittersweet last weeks. best, jcp

#175071 - 02/14/13 10:19 AM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
OregonMouse,

You have my greatest symphathy at this time. Time flies by much too fast with a dog, and the next thing you know its time to say goodby to a trusted friend and constant (and I mean constant smile ) companion.

Your plans with Hysson sound wonderful. I hope you enjoy these times together and revel in what sounded like Hysson's full life with you.

Chris

#175076 - 02/14/13 12:10 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
So sorry to hear this sad news OM. I think we all know how much you two love each other and what great and loyal companions you've been.

We are lucky to have such dogs in our lives. They are a constant standard of unwavering love and devotion that we should all allow to inspire us. None more so than Hysson.

"You want to go where?"

#175077 - 02/14/13 01:07 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
So sorry to hear about Hysson. Loosing a loved dog is almost as heartbreaking as I imagine would be loosing a child; my heart goes out to you. But, it is said that Heaven is the place where, when you get there, all the dogs you have loved come running up to greet you. Nice to think so.

#175081 - 02/14/13 06:06 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: Pika]

Thank you all for the wonderful sentiments! I really wasn't asking for sympathy but trying to describe the inevitable downside of owning a dog. It's the other end of life from of the cute puppy and the hiking buddy keeping your feet warm in the tent.
thanks

Hysson has really perked up after 2 1/2 days on prednisone. The swelling in his lymph nodes is almost gone, he's bouncy instead of lethargic and his appetite has come back. This is temporary, of course, but means that he should really enjoy our 5 days on the beach coming up. In the meantime, what he wants are lots of DOG BISCUITS! Which, of course, he's getting!
lol

Prescription from the vet:
Quote:
Regarding Hysson's remaining time - he is now fitting into the category of "whatever makes him happy". This means he gets to eat whatever food he wants to (within reason - no bacon grease, etc as we don't want to give him pancreatitis, but he doesn't have to eat kidney food or anything else that's not to his liking).

#175092 - 02/14/13 10:38 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

I know it's no consolation but I've been giving my best friend Mina, ( my mutt hiking buddy) a ton of extra love and attention and appreciation realizing how fleeting time is.

#175124 - 02/15/13 09:26 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
mccallum Offline

Loc: Kansas
Been there; except I let it go way to long; ended with me looking at her in the backyard, after having to clean her up after a bowel issue, and asking "is it time?" She looked at me as if to say "Finally; you got the idea." We were at the vet the next day. So sorry that you will need to do so in the future. Have the best last days you can have with Hysson.

#175189 - 02/19/13 06:38 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: mccallum]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Oh dear. I am sorry, OM. But I also think that you are absolutely right in the way you are approaching this. Hysson has a great owner.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#175197 - 02/19/13 09:47 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

Hysson has been a most fortunate dog - there's nothing quite like a dog's devotion, is there? and so many people don't appreciate it. I'm glad he had such a good owner for so long, and that you're doing it right despite the tears you're probably shedding all the while.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175300 - 02/23/13 09:19 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
mouse,

I'm sitting here crying over Hyson and i'vr only spent an hour with him. Hes beyond great. I don't know what you did to deserve such a great dog, but the other side of the coin is losing such a special dog is hard and you will need to be taken care of also, especially after losing him.
I know a tear will come to your eye for years after Hyson is gone - seriously consider the depressing part - get another dog. You can scatter Hysons ashes somewhere nice that he liked.

My special dog died of a heart attack in my arms, on the lawn in front of my vets office.

My thoughts are with you and Hyson. He doesn't know - its a toss up whether to put him down on a good day or a bad day. You will want to remember him from a good day and know that just because he was having a good day doesn't mean his life was cut short. If you put him down on a bad day you may be saddened when you remember him.

He can play with Roxie... grin
Jim

#175303 - 02/24/13 02:03 AM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: Jimshaw]

Thank you so much, Jim, for your kind words! I remember your sad PM when Roxie passed away and trying to find words of comfort for you. They do tear our hearts, don't they?

I want to put Hysson down on a good day, before he starts suffering, far better too soon than too late. With lymphoma, once a dog starts going downhill he goes really fast, often within a few days. Hysson's breeder was in denial over his grandmother a few years ago and kept hoping for some kind of miracle even though the poor dog was staggering around aimlessly in circles, obviously because the cancer had spread to her brain. The breeder finally ended up taking Hysson's grandma to an emergency clinic at 2 am and she died on the table before the vet could put her down. None of that here!

Yes, I will be looking for another dog afterwards, although probably not for a few months.

We had a great 5 days at the beach. Hysson loved it (one of the few places he gets to run loose and explore) and enjoyed all the fussing from my grandkids. They said tearful goodbyes when they left. Of course, depending on how long the prednisone works, they may be doing this several times! I told them that, and they said that was fine!

The prednisone does have its side effects, but they don't seem to bother him. It causes a big thirst which means I have to put him outside frequently (including at least once during the night) because he drinks so much water. It certainly has increased his appetite, too! As my vet said, all diets are off now; he can have anything he wants!

#175316 - 02/24/13 09:17 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
We had a great 5 days at the beach. Hysson loved it (one of the few places he gets to run loose and explore) and enjoyed all the fussing from my grandkids.

That's about as fine as I can imagine OM. Thank you for the update, and stay strong...

"You want to go where?"

#175343 - 02/25/13 09:32 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi mouse, hi Hyson,

A 5 pound dog is easy to pick up and hold. Our new chijuajua is an incredibly sweet little thing and it doesn't hurt my back to bend over and pick her up. A 10 pound dog is verging on being a bit heavy to pick up and a 15 pound dog somehow weighs at least twice as much as a fifteen pound UL pack... You'll want a dog with enough fur to keep it warm in the winter. One thing though - Daisy can run through my 8 foot high field wire fence so I had to add 200' of 39" high fence with smaller holes to the bottom.

So does Hyson get ice cream now? grin Maybe McDonalds cheese burgers, hold the pickle and onion?

Yep we're gettin some snow over here.
Jim

#175720 - 03/12/13 04:37 AM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
As my vet said, all diets are off now; he can have anything he wants.

OM --

So sad to read this all. There have been a few "group hikes" on this forum over the years, although I haven't been able to attend one. And I always imagined that if I had been able to go that you and Hysson would be there. You two, together.

What a great dog you have had that has logged so many miles with u. But when Hysson has gone, you have to consider getting another, to continue the tradition. U know he'd want that.

A few years ago, I had a most unusual woman come into the store (I work at Whole Foods), and for several weeks buy carne asada. One day she off-handedly said not to worry about the cut, it was for her dog (at $24/pd.!) I thought, 'how strange,' til I pried and she told me that it was for one of her Bernese Mountain dogs. That breed has a short life span due to cancer and other problems.

I befriended her, as much as one can while serving her in a natural food store, and vicariously came to love her dogs (six then), and realized that the carne asada was only for the current dog of hers that had been diagnosed as terminally ill. (By then I had learned that her husband had driven from Denver to North Carolina to rescue an abused BMD puppy and spend a fortune on several operations once here.)

And I thought to myself, why not?

I actually packed a quart of gelato for her recently for another of her BMDs also diagonosed as terminally ill.

Point is, whatever feelings we express as we grieve the coming loss of a canine companion is deserved, for they have devoted so much of their lives to us, to make us happy being with them.

A little carne asada for Hysson might be in order.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#175721 - 03/12/13 02:08 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: kevonionia]

Just a note that Hysson, at his oncologist visit yesterday, was doing great. He has responded just fine to the prednisone and is probably good for another month if not two.

He continues to be spoiled rotten! His latest tactic is to sprawl out on the floor right where I either have to stop to pet him or else trip over him!

I thank you all for your sympathy and understanding! It's hard to be sad when he's currently so bouncy! He, of course, lives for the moment (MORE DOG BISCUITS NOW!!!) and knows nothing of his impending short future.

#175728 - 03/13/13 02:14 AM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
OM -- I think u once posted it some time ago, but how did Hysson get his name?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#175730 - 03/13/13 03:33 AM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: kevonionia]

Hysson was bred by Canine Companions for Independence and was supposed to become an assistance dog. He was part of that year's "H" litter and one of the prescribed names for boys in the "H" litter that year was Hyson. When my daughter told me about him, she sent me pictures and spelled the name with a double "ss." I've spelled it that way ever since. I liked his litter name and never felt the need to change it.

The breeder-caretaker of Hysson's mother was the secretary at the first veterinary practice my daughter worked for after graduating with her DVM. My daughter started work September 1 and called me about October 1 with "Mom, I have a puppy for you!" I drove down to Santa Rosa, CA the very next week and fell in love at first sight. Hysson had been rejected at puppy turn-in time because of an overbite (undershot lower jaw). Not a good thing in a dog that is supposed to pick up dropped items and telephones and bring them to the wheelchair-bound client. CCI's loss has been my gain!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/13/13 03:36 AM)

#176529 - 04/16/13 05:08 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]

2 month anniversary and still doing fine. I've noticed the last week that Hysson is definitely sleeping a lot more, but if I mention the word "dog biscuits" even in a whisper, he's alert and jumping up and down! Of course I check his lymph glands several times a day (under the guise of lots of scratching) and wake up and listen to his breathing in the middle of the night--nothing yet. In the meantime, he's getting more and more spoiled!

#176533 - 04/16/13 06:27 PM Re: Nearing the end of the trail [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

So good the hear he's do ok. Believe it or not I've wondered often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum