Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173865 - 01/15/13 05:22 AM ifrst backpack, light and durable
spigonico Offline

Hi all,
I'm new here so I'm going to introduce myself. I'm a guy from Italy that is going to do the first backpacking in his life. I'm going to do a backpacker in Australia for 2 weeks (40°C ...)so I'm looking for a backpack. I would like to have something lightweight but really durable in order to have a lifepartner.
I like Granite Gear blaze A.C. 60 style but I think it's not so durable.
Thanks to everyone for any answer
Best,
Nicola

#173866 - 01/15/13 06:10 AM Re: ifrst backpack, light and durable [Re: spigonico]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Hi, Nicola - welcome. I've not hiked in Australia, but we've got several persons here who have (Franco pops to mind immediately.)

To get better answers to the question "which pack?" it would help to know what the rest of your load looks like, perhaps by giving us your gear list. If you know, it would also help to know how much capacity the load takes up and how much it weighs.(Will the Blaze be too large? too small? or do you know?) It might also lead to suggestions on what not to take, which would affect the type of pack you'll want.

#173867 - 01/15/13 06:54 AM Re: ifrst backpack, light and durable [Re: Glenn Roberts]
spigonico Offline

Thank you Roberts!
I was thinking in a 40liters pack. Considering that I'll carry of 5 t-shirts, 2 pants, a pair of shoes, a sweatshirt and not more. I don't know about size and weight but I was thinking to UL pack looking forward for my mountain trekking. But I'm worry about the resistance of the materials that I don't know anything about this matter.
I don't know if I answered correctly to your questions. If not please tell me wink
Nicola

#173871 - 01/15/13 07:49 AM Re: ifrst backpack, light and durable [Re: spigonico]

Hi, Nicola. Now I'm confused. I read (and perhaps misunderstood) your first post as looking for a pack to hold a load that you were taking wilderness camping. You specifically mention a 60 liter pack (the Blaze AC 60.)

In this post, it now appears that all you're carrying is clothing, which implies this is more "adventure travel," where you'll be utilizing some form of lodging each night (perhaps a hostel or a hotel?) and relying on restaurants or other eating arrangements that do not require you to carry a stove or cooking gear.

If you are looking for advice on "wilderness" travel, please give us a more complete list of gear (tent, stove, how many days' food you'll carry, etc.), and you'll probably get a lot of good advice.

If you're seeking "adventure travel" tips, you will get some general advice here, but most of it will end by directing you to websites and forums (like Lonely Planet) that deal with that type of travel.

As far as durability of materials, the only way to judge that is to actually look at a pack. Often, it's not just the material itself that you need to be concerned with, but also the way the pieces are joined. If the seams are not well-sewn, the pack material may resist wear quite well - but the pack will fall apart at the seams.

For whatever it's worth, I'm currently using a Deuter pack; I've also used Osprey and Gregory packs, as well as Granite Gear packs, in the past. I've found all of them to be quite well-made and durable in the woods of the eastern United States. All 4 manufacturers make packs of various sizes. The best pack for you is the one that fits. (Check out the manufacturers' websites, which all have instructions for how their pack should fit.)

#173873 - 01/15/13 11:24 AM Re: ifrst backpack, light and durable [Re: spigonico]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By spigonico
Hi all,
I like Granite Gear blaze A.C. 60 style but I think it's not so durable.

Trust me, it's durable. At least to this point!!! Here is my review of the pack: http://mtmusings.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/gear-review-granite-gear-blaze-60l-backpack/

Let me know if you got any specific questions about it.

#173883 - 01/15/13 01:29 PM Re: ifrst backpack, light and durable [Re: ETSU Pride]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
This site is about backpacking in terms of wilderness trekking. You want a budget travel website. Lonely Planet seems to be dying, but Let's Go and Rough Guide are good sources. Rick Steves has excellent info on packing light, although I've found a lot of his other travel info to be inaccurate.

A pack that will hold up to airline baggage handlers (ever see them at work? It's horrifying!) is going to have to be a bomber style pack, not lightweight. If you want to travel light, take a pack that is small enough to use as a carry-on. Take lightweight clothing of synthetic fabrics that can easily be washed in sink or shower and dries rapidly. That way you need only one change of clothing and don't need a big pack. I've traveled for three months at a time that way.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/15/13 01:43 PM)

#173900 - 01/16/13 04:17 AM Re: ifrst backpack, light and durable [Re: OregonMouse]
spigonico Offline

thanks to your advise guys I'm orientating to buy a Deuter backpack or similar. But as you all already understood I don't know almost anything about backpacking. So I would like to know what brand is the best one regarding quality and price. I would like to keep the pack with me as longer as possible.
Thank you again to all of you
Best from Italy
Nicola

#173901 - 01/16/13 07:24 AM Re: ifrst backpack, light and durable [Re: spigonico]

What is the best pack? The one that fits.

Nowadays, it's hard to buy junk if you stay with proven brands, like Deuter, Osprey, Granite Gear, Kelty, Gregory, and others (which other members here will name; those are the names that came quickly to mind.) In terms of price and quality, all of these are top-notch.

But, within that group, the only thing that matters is fit. The pack must be comfortable, period.

You'll probably end up trying a number of packs on to find the one that's best for you. Ideally, you'll be able to take your typical load of gear to the dealer, pack it in the pack, and try it on that way. (Loading sandbags into the pack, which is how most stores do it, doesn't give you an accurate idea of how the pack carries, because the weight isn't distributed the same as it will be when you pack it. If you can't load your gear into it in the store, the next best thing is to deal with an online dealer who will let you return it for a full refund (assuming you haven't actually taken it out on a trip.) This lets you order several, load them up and try them on a walk around the block at home, and return the ones you don't like.

#173903 - 01/16/13 09:45 AM Re: ifrst backpack, light and durable [Re: spigonico]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Alpina is a durable brand, as well as Deuter. Both should be available in Italy.

#174169 - 01/22/13 02:49 PM Re: ifrst backpack, light and durable [Re: spigonico]
tds1195 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By spigonico
thanks to your advise guys I'm orientating to buy a Deuter backpack or similar.

I have a Deuter Futura Pr 38L that I like very much - it's a good durable pack. I use it for weekend/day trips, though. I would go 50+ for week trips if you can pack light.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum