Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173341 - 12/29/12 01:29 PM Ultralight Multitool?
oracle5 Offline

Hey Guys,

I need help finding an alternative to my multitool situation. I use to carry a Victorinox Swiss Champ at around 6.5oz and the last time I posted a gear list I was convinced to ditch that for something lighter. Right now I've moved to a combination of a Leatherman Style PS(I already had for travelling via airplane-has no knife) and a Victorinox Camper(also already had) at 4.2oz all together. I really don't like having 2 tool since there are duplicates.

I've been pretty unsuccessful at finding everything in one tool or even a combination of tools that weighs less. I'd checked out fishing forceps but they are all too heavy to replace the pliers.

The tools I want:
-pliers(for fishing)
-wood saw
-tweezers(for splinters)
-scissors

Things that would be nice to have:
-awl
-small flathead screwdriver

The tools I don't need on the tools I have:
-knife(already carrying an ESEE 4)
-pin(fishing pole is held onto my pack with a safety pin that can do this function)
-corkscrew
-bottle opener
-can opener
-nail file

Thanks.

Check out my hiking videos on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/c/arkansasredneck

#173344 - 12/29/12 07:29 PM Re: Ultralight Multitool? [Re: oracle5]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Have you considered simply carrying your knife and the separate tools? Although I now carry a Leatherman Juice S2 multitool, I previously carried individual tools. I found a small pair of Husky brand pliers at Home Depot (or Lowe's?) in a 3-pack: needlenose pliers, regular pliers, and wire cutter. You could also carry a small saw, tweezers, and some folding scissors (Fiskars makes a really nice pair of folding scissors.)

For a screwdriver, I selected a small offset screwdriver with a slotted bit on one end and a phillips bit on the other.

All together, including the Gerber LST knife, they only weighed an ounce or two more than the Juice.

#173346 - 12/29/12 10:41 PM Re: Ultralight Multitool? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Not to rain on the parade, but I've stopped carrying a multi-tool because I realized that my gear doesn't neet it. I don't have a single screw anywhere, so no screwdriver. Pliers? Mainly I find that it's easier to fix things with a needle and thread. I do carry a knife, mainly for cleaning fish and cutting salami. Weighs a lot less than a multi-tool

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#173348 - 12/30/12 06:47 AM Re: Ultralight Multitool? [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I know what you mean. If I'm going solo, I only carry the knife, scissors, and tweezers. (and usually don't use the tweezers or knife.) However, when I'm helping lead a group (particularly new backpackers) I'll take the multi-tool. It seems like there's always someone who needs the flick-locks on his/her poles tightened or loosened (screwdriver), or needs something bent or unbent, or brought a pot but no pot lifter.

#173349 - 12/30/12 10:11 AM Re: Ultralight Multitool? [Re: balzaccom]
oracle5 Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
Not to rain on the parade, but I've stopped carrying a multi-tool because I realized that my gear doesn't neet it. I don't have a single screw anywhere, so no screwdriver. Pliers? Mainly I find that it's easier to fix things with a needle and thread. I do carry a knife, mainly for cleaning fish and cutting salami. Weighs a lot less than a multi-tool

I could go without the screwdriver too. Biggest thing is having the realivety lightweight saw the swiss army knife has. Could always carry seperate tweezers and sewing kit sized scissors. Just about need my pliers for fishing(I straighten out too many hooks).

I use my knife every time but I'm also a knife nut and can't skip on the chance to practice working with wood while I'm out there.

Check out my hiking videos on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/c/arkansasredneck

#173350 - 12/30/12 01:35 PM Re: Ultralight Multitool? [Re: oracle5]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
The Wenger Evolution S52 Swiss Army Knife has all the features you want and a few you don't want at 4.1 ounces.

#173351 - 12/30/12 02:11 PM Re: Ultralight Multitool? [Re: oracle5]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
My last few hikes were with a Swiss Army Classic...tiny little sub-ounce sucker with all the tools you seek except pliers and saw. If I'm doing the remote ham radio thing, I'll bring a Leatherman Squirt P1 (the old version).
Found if I really need a tiny but effective saw, a Sawzall blade (endless tooth pattern choices!) with a simple wood handle made from an old piece of broom stick gets the job done but I've never actually had to use one, so those stay home too.
The little SA Classic has blade, scissors, file, screwdriver, tweezers, and toothpick.

#173357 - 12/31/12 01:17 PM Re: Ultralight Multitool? [Re: oracle5]
Cal_Hawkeye Offline

I have been doing a similar search, although I am not so concerned with weight. I would recommend one of the leatherman juice models (you can pick which one), but I think they are going to be too heavy for you.

I have mostly been looking at leatherman models, but I can tell you that one of the complicating factors in what you are looking for is the saw. I know this because I also want a wood saw (for making dust to use with my fire steel), and it disqualifies a lot of candidates. The problem is that it only seems to come on bigger (i.e. heavier) models.

An idea: get a very small multi tool (I would say a leatherman squirt with pliers) and try to meet the saw criteria with a separate piece of equipment. I'm kind of looking into this myself. One idea that I have had so far is to try to buy a replacement multi tool saw blade. Since I only really want it for making saw dust, I figure I can do that okay by holding the little blade in my fingers. Of course, you lose a lot of leverage for actual sawing, but given how light you want the tool to be in the first place, you aren't going to get a great sawing tool anyway.

Hope that helps.

#173358 - 12/31/12 01:18 PM Re: Ultralight Multitool? [Re: Dryer]
Cal_Hawkeye Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
My last few hikes were with a Swiss Army Classic...tiny little sub-ounce sucker with all the tools you seek except pliers and saw. If I'm doing the remote ham radio thing, I'll bring a Leatherman Squirt P1 (the old version).
Found if I really need a tiny but effective saw, a Sawzall blade (endless tooth pattern choices!) with a simple wood handle made from an old piece of broom stick gets the job done but I've never actually had to use one, so those stay home too.
The little SA Classic has blade, scissors, file, screwdriver, tweezers, and toothpick.

The saws all blade with an improvised handle is a great idea. Probably cheaper and better than trying to buy one of those replacement multi tool saw blades I might have to try that.

Edited by Cal_Hawkeye (12/31/12 01:19 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 225 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum