Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173100 - 12/16/12 03:06 AM Large packs, what's best?
Deepwoods15 Offline

So, I've done a few pack trips with my grandfather and well, my ancient pack is givin up the ghost.

Now, I live in Oregon, close to the table rock wilderness. So, wet, steep, fun stuff.

I've been looking for a pack that is A: big, B: comfy, in all respects, C: water-proofable, D: lots of pockets.
So, my price range is $300-$500. I'm looking at a 70L or bigger, 85-100 is right about that.
With that said what's the "best pack" (I put "" due to it being of some opinion)?
I've been looking t osprey

#173101 - 12/16/12 07:39 AM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: Deepwoods15]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
The best pack is the one that fits. Everything else (size, number of pockets, etc.) you can adapt to.

When I read your list of criteria, the first thought that jumped into my mind was "Osprey Aether 70 or 85 " - but I checked their website, and I think the Argon series might also meet your criteria. I used the Aether 60 briefly, just before I began seriously lightening my load about 6 or 7 years ago, and really liked it (I was carrying about 30 pounds for a typical weekend then.)

Which brings up another point: how heavy is the load you usually carry? If it's under 30 pounds, I'd suggest you also look at the Osprey Kestrel series. The Kestrel 68 might work just as well as the Aether 70, and would weigh a pound less. I use a Kestrel 58 for my current 20 pound load, and really like it.

#173102 - 12/16/12 09:57 AM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: Deepwoods15]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I'm looking for a new winter pack myself. I thought I needed a 75-80L pack too, but I need to put my winter gear in a box and measure it to get the true amount. I thought my old and current winter pack was around 5500 ci which is a panel loader. The zipper on one side has a tooth missing now after I tried to pull in open, I had worked over the slider, but that wasn't enough, so that side is no longer working. I could have it sewn shut, right now I have a few safety pins holding it. I was looking at the Aether, but I want a top loader, I can see why pro's go for the top loader, no major zipper failures. I can wait, I'm getting my dual sport motorcycle set up for camping at the moment, so new bp gear and old stove acquisition is on hold or scaled back.
Duane

#173104 - 12/16/12 10:34 AM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By hikerduane
I'm looking for a new winter pack myself. I thought I needed a 75-80L pack too, but I need to put my winter gear in a box and measure it to get the true amount. I thought my old and current winter pack was around 5500 ci which is a panel loader. The zipper on one side has a tooth missing now after I tried to pull in open, I had worked over the slider, but that wasn't enough, so that side is no longer working. I could have it sewn shut, right now I have a few safety pins holding it. I was looking at the Aether, but I want a top loader, I can see why pro's go for the top loader, no major zipper failures. I can wait, I'm getting my dual sport motorcycle set up for camping at the moment, so new bp gear and old stove acquisition is on hold or scaled back.
Duane
what kind of dual sport? I ride a Husky 610 and found saddle bags very useful in bike camping. That and a promoto billet rack I can strap all my gear on the bike and just wear a day pack with hydration bladder. I found wearing my backpacking pack put the weight too high and made the ride a bit sketchy on the technical stuff.

As to the original question, 100 l is an awful big pack. Even for extended trips. Unless your hauling some else gear I would venture that your bringing way too much stuff.I fit everything I need for 5-7 day trip in a 60 l pack.

#173106 - 12/16/12 12:02 PM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: rockchucker22]
Deepwoods15 Offline

Well, since its a fishing and gold panning trip, and with what we have to deal with based on our location, it has to be big, I've simply found no ways to lighten it. Where the pack I rented, (outer frame pack) I asked for some advice and I had it as light as I could. Which is 45-70lbs.

Now, it has one other requirement, that's book carrier. For school, now there are two other students who have packs, and it isn't an uncommon sight to see one. And when there's on +-850 students, nobody cares. And during school, 5 books, 10x10x2" or so. And 3 binders. Typically lunch placement divides that up. So...

My other question is how can I make my pack water proof or is there a cover for it? None say if they are...

#173108 - 12/16/12 12:34 PM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: Deepwoods15]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Sounds like, in the Osprey line, the Aether or Argon would be what you need. (I just realized that I leaped to the conclusion that you are male. If you are female, their Xenon and Ariel series packs are the equivalent.)

Being many years removed from school myself, I can't imagine needing anything that big for books. I'd suggest you get something specifically designed for that, in the 25 - 40 liter range. (Frankly, with technology being what it is, and e-reader software so proliferous, I was a bit surprised you're still carrying books.)

Actually, I just noticed on Osprey's web site that the Argon and Aether series packs are "Add-on Compatible," which as I understand it means you might be able to buy a pack on the low end of your capacity range, buy a separate day pack/book bag, and lash the separate pack to the large pack for the extra capacity you specify. That way, if you do take trips where you don't need the extra capacity, you can leave the smaller pack behind and not have to worry about how to compress the larger pack. Just one more thing to think about.

As far as waterproofing, I doubt you'll find one that is truly waterproof. Better options are a waterproof liner bag or a pack cover. (A liner is just a pack cover that goes inside the pack, into which you load all your gear. Some people use heavy duty garbage bags, and carry a spare or two in case of tears.) Osprey sells pack liners separately in different sizes to fit their various packs.

#173110 - 12/16/12 01:49 PM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
rockchucker, I picked up a '09, 680 mile, Kawasaki KLR650 in late Sept, two days later sold my '92 CBR600. I installed a DirtRacks side rack and top rack a couple weeks ago, last weekend a Wolfman Beta Plus rear bag. Will add a little bit more as winter progress'. I found a couple stuff sacks I was going to give away that I can use on the side racks, strapping them on I think. We'll see. May use small panniers. Need to get more tools, pump, tube, jack/center stand?.
Duane

#173113 - 12/16/12 03:52 PM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: hikerduane]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I would look at the lighter Arc'teryx packs. I had a Bora 80 and it was too heavy and didn't fit me right, so I got rid of it. I have tried on this one -
http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Packs/Altra-75#Over_60L
and it fit me better and was quite a bit lighter.
For what you want to spend, you may be able to get a basic custom McHale.
http://www.mchalepacks.com/
Cilogear also makes big packs-
www.cilogear.com
Some of these packs run $1500 at the top end, but start in the range you are talking about.
Another solution is to look for a used Kelty Cloud (out of production for years, made from Kevlar, expensive, even used) Don't get confused by the Red Cloud or similar names. The Cloud comes in two sizes, the big one is around 5000 c.i. if I remember right. Jim Shaw has one.

I don't think most packs are really waterprood. I'd just use a pack cover or put my stuff in light plastic bags if that is an issue.

Edited by TomD (12/16/12 03:54 PM)

#173119 - 12/16/12 10:47 PM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Deepwoods15 Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Sounds like, in the Osprey line, the Aether or Argon would be what you need. (I just realized that I leaped to the conclusion that you are male. If you are female, their Xenon and Ariel series packs are the equivalent.)

Being many years removed from school myself, I can't imagine needing anything that big for books. I'd suggest you get something specifically designed for that, in the 25 - 40 liter range. (Frankly, with technology being what it is, and e-reader software so proliferous, I was a bit surprised you're still carrying books.).

Haha, I'm a guy, 6'1" and 240 lbs, till it hits 100lbs I don't really care much as it doesn't bother me, sometime going straight up a hill for 3 miles to get to the next camp 50+lbs gets to me.

Now, for books, a small town, nope. My SMALLEST book is 10"x10"x2ish"
Largest is 13"x11"x3.25" LxWxD.

Each is about 7-11lbs, plus binders and yadda yadda. I'm. An honors student (basically harder courses that if you carry on with a higher/better diploma, also allows for up too 5.0 GPA rather than 4.0) so that doesn't help.

#173126 - 12/17/12 09:48 AM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: Deepwoods15]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
First, I would suggest getting a pack for school, and a different one for backpacking. Your price range is high enough that you can easily do it. For carrying a lot of books, you want a pack that is made from heavy materials. Most of the Osprey packs won't take the abuse of heavy books being set down on concrete (which is what you will do with your school pack). In college, I had to take a laptop, and all my engineering books around. I used a really heavy duty, large day pack that I bought while in the Army. I ended up destroying it. It was made of 1000D cordura and built tough. It even had an internal frame.

For your large pack, and based on what you think you want, I would suggest an external frame. Look at the Kelty Yukon, or something similar. It will be more flexible, have more pockets, and weigh less/cost less than another
really large, heavy internal pack.

#173128 - 12/17/12 01:19 PM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: Deepwoods15]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
The ArcTeryx Naos85 is the only seam-sealed large backpack I know of. It's heavy as heck, but a lot of big packs are.

Naos85

I'm sure there are WP portage packs but they're probably not suited for long-term carry. Packs are pretty complex and most designs are impossible to seam tape or seal.

Cheers,

#173129 - 12/17/12 01:36 PM Re: Large packs, what's best? [Re: Deepwoods15]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Your pack must be large enough for a winter sleeping bag and real insulation under you, camp clothes and a tent. I have a 6500 cubic inch pack and my winter sleeping bag fills half or more of it when stuffed in, making very little room for down bibs and down winter coat. You almost cannot have too large of winter pack, but as TomD says - it still has to fit you.
Jim grin

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum