Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172539 - 12/02/12 11:29 AM The Last Month
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
December marks the last month we can backpack for free in the GSMNP. The good ol' days are ending. It's time to get out and enjoy it one last time for free! cool

#172540 - 12/02/12 12:17 PM Re: The Last Month [Re: ETSU Pride]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
You might check with the park...most National Parks have a few days throughout the year that are free.

Right now in California it is raining cats and dogs. Not a lot of fun in the mountains until this thing settles down!

But we are grateful for the rain!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#172541 - 12/02/12 12:34 PM Re: The Last Month [Re: balzaccom]
lori Offline

I read it to mean that wilderness permits are no longer free.

I'm glad that Yosemite still has free walk in permits. Sequoia and Kings make you pay 15 per permit, no matter whether you make reservations or walk in for them.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#172542 - 12/02/12 12:51 PM Re: The Last Month [Re: lori]
ETSU Pride Offline

Sorry for the Confusion, Lori, the fees only apply to backpackers. There will be a $4 per night per person fee enacted for all backpackers staying at a backcountry site. It bites. I've been spoiled the last two years (my first trip was in 2010) by being able go to GSMNP and camp in the backcountry for free. Oh well.

#172543 - 12/02/12 01:22 PM Re: The Last Month [Re: balzaccom]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Right now in SoCal, it is just raining cats- but nice and steady. Definitely a day to stay indoors and polish gear....

#172546 - 12/02/12 05:41 PM Re: The Last Month [Re: ETSU Pride]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I think most national parks charge for backcountry camping permits. In Olympic National Park, it's $5 for the group plus $2 per person per night. Mt. Rainier NP charges $20 per party (up to 14 days). This is in addition to the $15 per car fee just to get into either park. Count your blessings!

#172550 - 12/02/12 07:04 PM Re: The Last Month [Re: OregonMouse]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I think most national parks charge for backcountry camping permits. In Olympic National Park, it's $5 for the group plus $2 per person per night. Mt. Rainier NP charges $20 per party (up to 14 days). This is in addition to the $15 per car fee just to get into either park. Count your blessings!

Dang. I knew a lot of national parks charge an entrance fee. I was at the GSMNP' headquarters, well main visitor center, the volunteer for park said reason GSMNP don't charge an entrance fee is primarily because the State of Tennessee built the roads and then turned it over to federal government with stipulation that they don't charge for entrance. State laws have to change to let National Park Service charge a fee.

Edited by ETSU Pride (12/02/12 07:05 PM)

#172553 - 12/03/12 02:12 AM Re: The Last Month [Re: ETSU Pride]
lori Offline

Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon charge $20 (though the latter two will charge you one time for both parks since they are neighbors and if you visit one, you'll visit the other) to enter the park. Yosemite charges 5 per person with a $5 administrative fee to reserve wilderness permits, and walk up permits are free. SEKI charges $15 for a permit regardless of whether you have one or fifteen people.

Point Reyes charges $20 per campsite per night, for backpackers (no car camping). Unless you have a group larger than six, then it's doubled, unless you have more than 15, then it's tripled. (group size can be up to 25 in PR unlike most wilderness areas, which limit you to 15) There is no entry fee for the monument itself.

Pinnacles National Monument charges 5/car, unless you reserve a campsite in the only campground. There is no backpacking in Pinnacles, so no wilderness permits.

National parks have variable fees for various things... so not surprised at all that GSMNP is different.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#172558 - 12/03/12 10:54 AM Re: The Last Month [Re: lori]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By lori
Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon charge $20 (though the latter two will charge you one time for both parks since they are neighbors and if you visit one, you'll visit the other) to enter the park. Yosemite charges 5 per person with a $5 administrative fee to reserve wilderness permits, and walk up permits are free. SEKI charges $15 for a permit regardless of whether you have one or fifteen people.

Point Reyes charges $20 per campsite per night, for backpackers (no car camping). Unless you have a group larger than six, then it's doubled, unless you have more than 15, then it's tripled. (group size can be up to 25 in PR unlike most wilderness areas, which limit you to 15) There is no entry fee for the monument itself.

Pinnacles National Monument charges 5/car, unless you reserve a campsite in the only campground. There is no backpacking in Pinnacles, so no wilderness permits.

National parks have variable fees for various things... so not surprised at all that GSMNP is different.

That's crazy. GSMNP is the only national park I have been too. The only fee I'm accustom to is developed campgrounds. All the state parks and national forests in the area are the same way. I really want to venture out west on a journey and the fees you mentioned will be an eye opener for me! lol.

Edited by ETSU Pride (12/03/12 10:58 AM)

#172560 - 12/03/12 11:35 AM Re: The Last Month [Re: ETSU Pride]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
December marks the last month we can backpack for free in the GSMNP. The good ol' days are ending. It's time to get out and enjoy it one last time for free! cool

to many free places to go instead of the Smokies..explore what is around you

#172567 - 12/03/12 01:35 PM Re: The Last Month [Re: Ewker]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I rarely backpack in national parks. I backpack in national forests instead. Less bureaucracy, I can take my beloved backpacking buddy Hysson (see my avatar), equally beautiful scenery, far fewer people! It isn't free any more, thanks to the almost universal requirement of parking passes ($30/year here in the NW). Of course I have the interagency senior pass, one time charge of $10, so even the parking pass isn't an issue for me (gotta be some advantage to being old!).

#172583 - 12/03/12 07:59 PM Re: The Last Month [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I agree with OM on the less bureaucracy and hassle in NFs compared to NPs- and remember, I did ny career in the National Park Service! The key to the whole thing is the smaller visitor loads in the National Forests and the greater emphasis on preservation and conservation in the Parks.

When you kids get old enough, run, do not walk to the nearest source for the senior pass (age 62). It will pay off enormously - no entrance fees and half off all other fees. It has paid extremely well for me. And, yes, NPS employees pay fees just like everyone else when visiting parks...

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum