Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171051 - 10/29/12 09:48 AM ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam?
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Ok I "LOVE" food. I've choked back a few dehydrated creations sold at the box stores and have found only a handful of them actually enjoyable! And ill still pack these on longer trips!

But for the mostpart that's not my cup of tea. My wife says that I don't eat to live. I live to eat. Which usually results in my food bag being a pound or two heavier than most people I hike with. But they don't complain and neither do I!

Anyways there are plenty of great liteweight food blogs And Websites with great recipes.

Ive been toying around with making a series of youtube videos. Sharing some of my not so liteweight, gourmet cooking if you will!

Eventually I'd like to cover things like omlets,and trout on alcohol stoves.

Id like to demonstrate uses of different stoves and pots. For some solo and some group cooking.

Overall id really just like to help people realize they could eat good and relatively light. With trip to there local market "Not OutFitter" Without having to dehydrate or really prep anything at home!

I'm really just curios if anyone would be interested as I'd probably post them here!

Would you be interested?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 10/29/12 09:24 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Edited by Samoset (10/29/12 09:51 AM)

#171052 - 10/29/12 10:12 AM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Samoset]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I don't also backpack when I camp, and I also overnight frequently. So, post away, looking forward to what you have to say.

#171063 - 10/29/12 12:46 PM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Samoset]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Honestly? If you have something to share, share away. If I had waited to have a following I'd never have gotten started ;-)
There is always room for new ideas!!

#171065 - 10/29/12 01:06 PM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Samoset]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
post away! I'd love to hear what you have to say. I am particularly interested in trout preparations without a campfire.

#171090 - 10/29/12 10:38 PM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: BZH]
Samoset Offline

Well I'm working on assembling some materials now. Ie esbit,alcohol, canisters and of course some ingredients.

If I do any trout it will be have to be store bought. As the closest stream or river. That I care to fish. Is about a hundred miles away.

I'll probably start with a few simple dishes. While I work out how I'm going to record the videos. As I've never recorded myself doing anything. Muchless cooking outdoors!

To be fair ill shoot all my videos outside in the elements.

It will probably be a week or so before I can get anything up! As i did a few test videos and I'm kind of camera shy!

Edited by Samoset (10/29/12 10:43 PM)

#171091 - 10/29/12 11:00 PM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Samoset]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Ok who voted no???? mad

#171096 - 10/30/12 12:18 AM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: rockchucker22]
Sciurious Offline

Loc: Ohio (currently)
I feel like everyone should be entitled a little luxury even while on trail, a little something to keep your food exciting...for me, it's cheese - a little bit of good cheddar goes a long way, and no matter how much I pair down the rest of my victuals, it seems I won't give that up. Do other people do this too, or am I just ridiculous in my refusal to give up something like that?

p.s. - this is not a response to the question of who voted no, it wasn't me smile I'd be really excited to see cooking ideas Sam has to share!

#171106 - 10/30/12 10:51 AM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Sciurious]
BZH Offline

I definitely bring cheese with me, but I wouldn't call it a lightweight backpacking luxury item. Cheese is a calorie dense easy to pack food. It is right in the mindset of backpacking light.

Now... if you bring a frying pan and fresh eggs to make a nice omelet with that cheese, then your talking luxury!

#171123 - 10/30/12 04:02 PM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Sciurious]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
You need to try gouda. Get it in the special cheese section. They usually have a small chunk wrapped in wax, which makes it perfect for backpacking. Man, I love gouda.

#171138 - 10/30/12 09:12 PM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: BZH]
Samoset Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
I definitely bring cheese with me, but I wouldn't call it a lightweight backpacking luxury item. Cheese is a calorie dense easy to pack food. It is right in the mindset of backpacking light.

Now... if you bring a frying pan and fresh eggs to make a nice omelet with that cheese, then your talking luxury!

That's exactly what I'm talking about!

And yes I love both cheddar and gouda! The cheese talk is actually making me hungry so I'm making some Bacon wrapd, cheddar stuffed jalopenos .

I've been trying to find a decent video editing app? To alow me to use my phone to record and edit. These videos

Edited by Samoset (10/30/12 09:49 PM)

#171144 - 10/30/12 10:53 PM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Samoset]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By Samoset
Originally Posted By BZH

That's exactly what I'm talking about!

And yes I love both cheddar and gouda! The cheese talk is actually making me hungry so I'm making some Bacon wrapd, cheddar stuffed jalopenos .

I've been trying to find a decent video editing app? To alow me to use my phone to record and edit. These videos

Oh how I love cheese! 2 year cheddar! Smoked gouda! I always bring cheese. Another couple of ounces I like on short trips is a good rye whisky, 1-2 oz max.Per night.

#171300 - 11/02/12 10:21 AM Re: ?Heavy Weight Cooking With Sam? [Re: Samoset]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Most of my backpacking food, and even car camping because I don't want a lot of cleanup, is boil-water-and-dump. That said, I tested for BGT for several years. I think it was a Brasslite stove that I was testing when my mother needed some long-term help, so I had hubby mail the stove and a couple of pots to me so that I could do some testing in local FL parks,and even on a picnic table in front of the hospital.

Fresh fish, although not caught by me, did well poached over an alcohol stove. I saw an article in BPL.com that included one of their main contributors poaching wild-caught fish in his cup, so this is entirely do-able. Esbit runs to the espensive, so I will likely stick with boiling, maybe just heating, water with them, but alcohol, sometimes trioxane (old-style mil heat tabs), and, ovf course, fire are not as pricey to use. Beef stew from fresh ingredients worked well, by using hamburger and vegetables cut small. Stew beef would have taken a lot longer to cook to tenderness. Of course, any kebobs are tasty over a fire, as are most foil pouch meals. Think beyond a basic fire to steam, and not just hamburger patties, but other boneless meats/fish, vegetables, etc. If you can find Reynolds foil baking cups (like paper cupcake liners, but foil and in large or small), you will be able to steam-bake eggs, cupcakes/muffins, and maybe other foods in the foil cup. If I'm using a cup-sized pot, I just make one at a time and a coiled strip of soda can wall, but with a larger pot, make a steamer from something like a cut-down pie plate. The sides bent down or more soda can strips can support the steamer platform for a cheap, light, and custom-sized platform for your pot. Hubby and I have fond memories of breakfasting on poached eggs and strawberry (mix) muffins cooked this way in Yellowstone years ago. Part of the memory was an Italian woman running into out site asking us about our gear, cooking, and if we were comfortable She was in a pop-up tent-trailer and cooking over a campfire with her son and grandchildren (American), while we were in hammocks and using alcohol stoves. We did a fly-drive-camp vacation, utilizing my backpacking gear to make travel manageable.

Another idea-I was hiking when I was a kid and saw a couple of boys coat some creek fish with clay muc from the bank, build a fire and cook the fish. Supposedly, the scales and skin would stick to the baked mud while the fish steamed perfectly, insulated from the fire by the drying clay. There are some clay pots that modern cooks soak in water before baking food in an oven. Same "technology."

Mud might be fun to play with. I imagine a foil packet or any pot could be coated with mud and set directly onto coals. The soot should stick to the mud and the mud should protect the food from contact burns. I think I'd try it with cheap ingredients and foil or an old coffee can before my nice pots and pans...

Lightweight freaks (including myself) and car-campers can easily share ideas for cross-over areas. Why not?

CamperMom

#171381 - 11/03/12 09:56 PM Solo Cooking with ESBIT! [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Yes CM I agree that esbit is a bit pricey! But it does have its following and because id like to give anybody the opportunity to use the same stove and fuel. I picked up one of these!

http://www.campmor.com/ags-labs-esbit-emergency-stove.shtml

My intentions are to have up a video of a solo a breakast and dinner. By the end of the week!

Im thinking green eggs and spam! With Sam
Complete with a cup of Joe.

And could maybe use some suggestions on dinner. I'm thinking chicken tacos with sauted veggies. I have a confession to make I eat 90% of my backcountry meals on tortillas usually whole wheat.

Its been along time sense I've done any cooking on esbit! But I'm really anxious to see if I can pull both meals off with this stove and three tabs.

Edited by Samoset (11/03/12 10:22 PM)

#171435 - 11/04/12 07:36 PM Re: Solo Cooking with ESBIT! [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

So I got a chance to test out the little folding ESBIT stove thIs afternoon! And I'm fairly impressed.

For less than $5 with three fuel tabs this is a nice little stove.

I folded the corners around and put a little arch to the pot supporting walls to add a little rigidity. I have no intention on ever unfolding the stove it packs small enough!

On one ESBIT tab I was able to boil 8oz of water and fry a single serve spam packet and an egg.

I made a video but am having a real hard time editing it. With the software avail for my phone.

#171443 - 11/04/12 10:32 PM Re: Solo Cooking with ESBIT! [Re: Samoset]
rockchucker22 Offline

Very interested in your results!

#171487 - 11/05/12 04:36 PM Coffee, Spam and Eggs on one Esbit Tab !VIDEO! [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Ok bare with me this is my first YouTube video ever. As well as the firstime I've ever really tried to record myself doing anything! I also had a real hard time editing the video. But I mainly shot this one for some practice. And to test this little stove out! Hope yoou enjoy!

I really wish I had had a fresh avacodo but my egg, spam burritos were delicious none the less!

Edited by Samoset (11/05/12 05:58 PM)

#171493 - 11/05/12 05:42 PM Re: Coffee, Spam and Eggs on one Esbit Tab !VIDEO! [Re: Samoset]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Enjoyed watching =)

Thanks

#171497 - 11/05/12 06:39 PM Re: Coffee, Spam and Eggs on one Esbit Tab !VIDEO! [Re: Samoset]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Nice job for your 1st video

#171499 - 11/05/12 07:10 PM Re: Coffee, Spam and Eggs on one Esbit Tab !VIDEO! [Re: Samoset]
BZH Offline

Very nice video! Definitely looking forward to more.

Some constructive criticism:

I liked how you framed your shot. It had a very backcountry feel to it. I thought at first you should have framed the stove into the picture, but I don't think it would have added much. Swinging the camera around for the top view showed what needed to be shown. I would think with practice, moving the camera would be a bit smoother.

I wish you would have actually made your coffee. Its a minor thing, but I think it adds to the completeness of the video. I am not a big fan of cooking shows that use "the magic of TV." For that reason, I didn't mind the bad avocado. It shows how you adapt (sometimes bad avocados happen in the backcountry)

I couldn't hear what kind of knife you were using. I've seen other DIY videos that will splash details on the video. Might be something to think about... but you did mention trouble editing your video.

Lastly... holy salt batman. You used a whole package of spam which as you noted has 990 mg of sodium, but then you dumped the seasoning salt on it.

Edited by BZH (11/05/12 07:11 PM)

#171502 - 11/05/12 07:54 PM Re: Coffee, Spam and Eggs on one Esbit Tab !VIDEO! [Re: BZH]
Samoset Offline

Thanks guys! I originally had no intentions of posting this video. But I was curious of how hard it would be to post and if I'd have any problems while doing so.

I learned a lot while shooting and trying to edit it.

The knife is a made by kbar its a Becker necker bk11

As far salt goes the onion powder and garlic powder both being white and the sun at my face made it show really well. But the dish its self was not salty to the taste! But yes no doubt high in overall sodium content!

Yes I really wish I had made some coffee aswell. I really just never intended on posting the video!

I hadn't cooked on ESBIT in along time much less on that stove. So I figured I give a practice video a shot and well you see what I came up with!

Thanks again everyone!
5AM05ET

Edited by Samoset (11/05/12 08:01 PM)

#171509 - 11/05/12 08:58 PM Re: Coffee, Spam and Eggs on one Esbit Tab !VIDEO! [Re: Samoset]
rockchucker22 Offline

Awesome vid! I love it, and must admit never thought of spam. I raise chickens and love eggs when camping. Great job Sam, even though we are across the country we need to camp sometime!

#171624 - 11/07/12 03:31 PM Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Hello eveyone,
Despite the sputtering on and off again rain and wind today. I headed outside pitchd a tarp and settled in to cook some Delicious chicken and rice tacos on the ESBIT folding emergency stove!

I have to say the more I use this stove the more impressed I am with it. It's amazing to me how something so simple can work so well! I highly recommend one to anyone thinking of giving ESBIT a shot!

With two additional tortillas this dish could probably feed two people. I had some extra tomato and avavodo left over. It was also all I could do to finish it.

I had just eaten breakfast an hour before though. Had it been after along day hiking I'm sure I'd of made short work of all of it even the avacodo and tomato!

As far as this video goes I didn't bother trying to edit it. I also left it in its original format as it seems to be of better picture and sound quality this way. It is a much larger file though so if you find that it lags a lot please let me know. And ill upload a different format.

As always I really hope you enjoy!
Samoset

Ps. I didn't forget the cheese. I just had my fill of it an hour beforehand. On my scrambled eggs and my hashbrowns.

Edited by Samoset (11/08/12 02:54 AM)

#171625 - 11/07/12 07:18 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Ok sorry if anyone is or was actually waiting for this video. But I uploaded it the second time for YouTube to reject it do to its length.

Apparently you have to verify your account before you upload videos over 15min.

Ive verified it. And now its uploading for the third time! I don't have the greatest service here so it takes about 2-3 hours to upload!

Hopefully ill have it up by the end of the night!

#171626 - 11/07/12 07:36 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: Samoset]
BZH Offline

I was wondering what happened. Can't wait to catch it tomorrow.

#171627 - 11/07/12 07:55 PM Re: Chicken&Rice Tacos with sauteed veggie on ESBIT [Re: BZH]
rockchucker22 Offline

My popcorn got cold, I'll pop another batch tomorrow!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum