Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170890 - 10/24/12 11:11 AM Smart Phone Apps
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I just got a smart phone and have thought about carrying it on my hikes now. Normally I don't but since I have misplaced my camera I will be using it as my camera now. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 3III

I’m wondering what other apps would be useful to install on the phone? Any thoughts?

Oh BTW I do not want to turn this into a discussion about whether electronics are good or bad on the trail.

Just the Apps ma'am, just the Apps

thanks

Eddy

#170900 - 10/24/12 03:14 PM Re: Smart Phone Apps [Re: Ewker]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Got a smart phone this summer after nothing but dumb phones, so am still trying to learn the thing (Android). GPS receives everywhere whereas the phone is out of service most places I hike; so, to use Google maps you need to download and save the basemap for your intended hike while still in civilization. Otherwise your location is just a dot on a murky field of nothing. With the preloaded map, you have your location and a decently detailed basemap. I'm sure USGS topo downloads are available somewhere, but I've not figured that bit out, yet. I also don't know how to field-recharge, but with my phone a micro-USB external charger or auxiliary battery should do the trick.

I'll add that my phone's AMOLED display is vastly better and larger than any of my GPS displays, so I think this form factor indicates the future of electronic navigation.

Cheers,

#170907 - 10/24/12 05:34 PM Re: Smart Phone Apps [Re: Rick_D]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Yep--this is very definitely on my list for my next phone. And it seems like a really good solution.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#170908 - 10/24/12 05:58 PM Re: Smart Phone Apps [Re: Ewker]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
This has come up before, at least on other forums. One example, at least, is this BPL thread.

#170920 - 10/25/12 12:30 AM Re: Smart Phone Apps [Re: Ewker]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Google Sky Map is really cool, so be sure to get it.

I like "Swiss Army Knife", it has a compass and a flashlight and a couple other cool tools.

I made an app you can play with. It's a "Web App" so you need an internet connection to use it. It shows the latest NOAA radar map images for the area you select, and it will put an icon on your location on the map. You can also get the latest weather forecast with it.

It also has a "SPOT" like feature that will let you send an email that either says "I'm OK" or send "Send Help". You can enter you own message too and the email will include your Lat/Long as provided by your phone.

You can find it at www.navigraphic.com

You're welcome to play with it all you want. It's not very polished, and I haven't messed with it for awhile, and NOAA has recently updated their mobile weather app and it's pretty nice now, so be sure to take a look at it too. You can get it at their site.

When using a "Web App", like mine or the NOAA app, you use your web browser. After you've loaded the mobile site select your "Add Bookmark" option and bookmark the website.

On an iPhone or iPad you then select the "Add to Home Screen" option.

On an Android device you then go to your Bookmarks screen and long press the bookmark and select "Add to Home Screen".

After that, you can just tap the App's icon on your home screen and you'll be taken directly to the web app.

"You want to go where?"

#170927 - 10/25/12 12:01 PM Re: Smart Phone Apps [Re: Rick_D]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By Rick_D
GPS receives everywhere whereas the phone is out of service most places I hike; so, to use Google maps you need to download and save the basemap for your intended hike while still in civilization. Otherwise your location is just a dot on a murky field of nothing. With the preloaded map, you have your location and a decently detailed basemap. I'm sure USGS topo downloads are available somewhere, but I've not figured that bit out, yet.

where do I go to get the basecamp you mentioned so I can download it?

#170932 - 10/25/12 01:30 PM Re: Smart Phone Apps [Re: Ewker]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
In Google Map, go to your desired location and zoom in or out until the needed area is on screen. From the menu, select "Make Available Offline." A selection square is displayed and once you have everything you need inside the square, save the map.

You can then load the map any time, regardless of whether you have a cell signal, and the phone's GPS will show your location. I've not fiddled with offline navigation, but assume that's possible too. (Still a noob.)

Cheers,

#170935 - 10/25/12 04:19 PM Re: Smart Phone Apps [Re: Rick_D]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I use backcountry navigator! For topo and gps uses its avail in Google's play store! You can make topo available offline! Pro addition is $9.99USD if I remember correctly!

On trips I want to journal I use Catch Notes! Which was free and will tag the location of your entries which is nice with photo notes!

I use Google maps usually to make it to the trailhead!

The kindle app and free books for restless night entertainment!

I always use my phone as a camera! ,

The flashlight app comes in handy all to often! Uses the led ment for camera flash!

Edited by Samoset (10/25/12 04:21 PM)

#172335 - 11/25/12 01:29 PM Re: Smart Phone Apps [Re: Samoset]
rivermobster Offline

Saving maps in Google maps works real good, but I found you can only save 6 map tiles. frown

For local hikes (with cell service), I'm real happy with an app called My Tracks. Gives you pretty decent stats when your done, you can upload the hike to Google and view it in other apps. Easy to put that link on Facebook as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.maps.mytracks&hl=en

But...

If you dont have cell service, you really don't know where you are.

I found another app called Trimble Outdoors navagator, that has no limit on the map tiles you can save. I'm still playing with it, and haven't had the oppertunity to use it out of cell range, but if I put the phone in airplane mode, it seems to pull up the saved maps nicely. It does not have the stats that My Tracks does, but it does have the off-line maps deal figured out.

http://get.it/trimbleoutdoors/8p1x#

Still learning...

#172338 - 11/25/12 02:34 PM Re: Smart Phone Apps [Re: Samoset]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I also use backcountry nav. It is a great app for downloading topo maps for use offline (read: no cell service). I use it mark up the maps with waypoints for neat things I find. I usually don't even turn on the gps to do it, I just center the map on my location and mark it and leave myself a note.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum