Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172320 - 11/24/12 11:27 PM Down, I love it!
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Well last year I was in love with wool, this year it's down. My jacket is western mountaineering flight. Pants are montbell ul underpants. Now I want some booties and a hood. So far I've narrowed it down to feathered friend or goose feet. As far as a hood I like z packs. Any other good options out there? Or personal favorites? Thanks!

#172323 - 11/25/12 12:31 AM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: rockchucker22]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've got the WM Flash jacket, pants, vest and booties. I like the booties a lot. They don't have a stiff sole, so they're not the best for walking around a campsite, but they're great for sleeping in.

I've also tried Sierra Designs down booties and down mittens. The mittens work great (again mostly for sitting around camp), and the booties come with or without a closed cell foam sole (fairly stiff.) They also work well.

#172326 - 11/25/12 01:02 AM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I've never seen one of these but supposedly they work pretty well-
Finnbar hood

JacksRbetter, the quilt company makes something similar, plus I have read that the CF (Canadian Forces) has one for their bag system.

I have a pair of SD booties. They keep slipping off my feet while walking, so aren't all that useful. For mitts, I bought a pair of big mitts made by Grandhoe that have a fleece liner and are big enough to wear with fleece gloves. I got them from STP on sale.

Edited by TomD (11/25/12 01:04 AM)

#172333 - 11/25/12 11:08 AM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: rockchucker22]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
No experience with a separate down hood; I like a down hood that's part of a parka --- having these all one integral piece makes for a pretty warm experience. Or rather, it seems to me that at one point I read some analysis about how much additional warmth a down hood added vs. a hoodless parka and it was quite favorable.

Anyway, for booties, I'm a fan of Feathered Friends brand insofar as they come as separable inners and outers. On trips where I might have to walk about in camp, the outers are great, and on trips where I just want the warmest "sleeping socks" I can get, I can carry just the inners. I've done both, and been quite happy.

I cut up part of an old blue foam ccf pad to add a layer of ccf that way to the (inside) soles of the outers to make the "walking around camp" experience warmer. Of course, that too I can add or subtract on a given trip depending on anticipated conditions.

#172337 - 11/25/12 02:17 PM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: BrianLe]
TomD Offline

I think an insulated hood adds a lot. As you can see, my big parka has one and it's pretty warm, plus it really blocks any wind, which also helps. My hood can be almost completely closed up if the weather is really bad.

#172341 - 11/25/12 02:44 PM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: TomD]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By TomD
I think an insulated hood adds a lot. As you can see, my big parka has one and it's pretty warm, plus it really blocks any wind, which also helps. My hood can be almost completely closed up if the weather is really bad.
I would get lost in that hood. I bet it has more down in it than my whole set up!

Seriously thanks for all the replys. I normally don't like hoods unless it's raining/ sleeting otherwise I'm usually a beenie guy. I'm thinking of the seperate hood for quilt sleeping.

#172352 - 11/25/12 06:27 PM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: rockchucker22]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
you can freeze just as easily in too little down as in too little wool. goodjob If you intend to go up into the sierras this winter - get a real coat with an attached hood and some warm insulated pants to go over your "underwear".
Jim

#172353 - 11/25/12 06:29 PM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: rockchucker22]
TomD Offline

It is pretty big. I also have a Nuptse, which just has a fabric hood; no comparison. My parka weighs as much as some bags (about 40+ oz.) and takes up about as much space. The newer version of it has 800 down. Mine has 700.

Jim has seen it in person. smile

Edited by TomD (11/25/12 06:30 PM)

#172354 - 11/25/12 06:32 PM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: TomD]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
TomD
wouldn't you agree that the Nuptse would be too light as your major coat in Yosemite in the winter? I know thats why you have the big coat. Many people think a UL summer down jacket is gonna make a difference in cold weather - it will not unless its part of a heavy layering system
Jim grin

#172360 - 11/25/12 09:39 PM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: Jimshaw]
TomD Offline

The Nuptse might work if you were heavily layered and the temps were moderate, but on the other hand, I wore it for a short walk to the beach tonight and it's 60, but that's just me. You would also need a fleece under it, a heavy base layer, and of course mitts or gloves (not just liner-style gloves), a balaclava and insulated or fleece pants, too. For just sitting around, if the temps are below freezing, even with the fleece and all the rest, I think the Nuptse or anything like it would be inadequate unless you have the body type of a polar bear.

The Nuptse is nowhere near the parka my Baltoro (predecessor of the Himalayan) is, so using one as your primary winter insulation would be a big mistake if the weather turns for the worst. One more thing I thought of-the Nuptse is ripstop nylon, the Baltoro is Goretex Dryloft and the new Himalayan is Windstopper, big difference there as well. Big difference in price, too. The Himalayan retails for $600. I paid nowhere near that for mine on eBay, so if you are contemplating getting something like it, look around first.

Here's a photo of me wearing it in Yosemite on my trip with Jim and Steve-

Edited by TomD (11/25/12 09:44 PM)

#172362 - 11/25/12 10:15 PM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: TomD]
rockchucker22 Offline

Great picture! I grew up in Gunnison Co. And currently reside in the sierras, the value of proper insulation according to condition is of utmost importance. I layer properly, just looking to gain a bit of camp comfort!

#172712 - 12/05/12 10:14 PM Re: Down, I love it! [Re: rockchucker22]
rockchucker22 Offline

I just got my feathered friends booties in, very nice. Not that I'm looking foward to it but can't wait for the trial cold night run.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum