Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171132 - 10/30/12 07:50 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
I use an 11 liter REI brand compression sack. It could fit in something a bit smaller but I don't feel right compressing it too much. Also mine is a long/wide version, if you have a regular length/width you could probably fit in something smaller.

#171990 - 11/15/12 07:26 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: Cranman]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I'm a sick sick puppy! I just ordered a quilt sized for my son (9 yo)I love my quilt so much! Thanks everyone!

#171991 - 11/15/12 07:54 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
llamero Offline

Loc: western Oregon
Congrats. Hope your 9yo gets many trail nights with it.

#171994 - 11/15/12 11:23 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: llamero]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I've come close twice this week on ordering one of these. Tonight, looking at the fabric options, I think I'll go with the more water/wind resistant outer material in the regular Revelation quilt, hoping the regular width for my 165 lbs., 6' height will work. It will still be lighter by over 6 oz. than my WM Caribou bag. As soon as I sell another motorcycle, I'll be set.
Duane

#172003 - 11/16/12 09:03 AM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: hikerduane]
Cranman Offline

This weekend my new EE quilt will get the 30F temp ratings tested, we're headed up to the mountains for two nights and the lows are forcasted at or around 30f both nights. I'm pretty sure I'll need to sleep in my long johns and LS base layer shirt, socks and balaclava, and worst case I can put my jacket on or *worst worst* case I have a SOL emergency blanket. I'll report back!

#172006 - 11/16/12 10:37 AM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: Cranman]
rockchucker22 Offline

Let's us know how it goes! I had one cold night with mine and it worked flawless! As a side sleeper I was concerned but the concerns where unfounded.

#172022 - 11/16/12 01:27 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

What width did you get? If I sell my motorcycle, I may order a quilt in the regular width. I'm a side sleeper, 6', 160-165 lbs. I placed a tape measure over myself last weekend while laying on my side, seems plenty of "drape" on each side of me, even in the fetal position. Let me know y'alls take. I'm not sure if I meet Tim's example of a slim side sleeper.
Duane

#172024 - 11/16/12 01:42 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

I went with a wide as per Tim's recommendation. I'm 5'8" 165 lbs so I went with a 5'6" quilt wide and it has more than enough material to keep you covered, or completely closed like a standard bag.

#172032 - 11/16/12 03:53 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Well, since I'm taller, maybe a regular would work if there is plenty of material. I'd also use my down liner jacket if needed to cover me up. Thank you. I wish the wind/water resistant outer shell material had more colors.
Duane

#172033 - 11/16/12 04:34 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

I was concerned with moisture build up in a bag with cuben fiber outer shell. Plus twice as much!

#172062 - 11/18/12 05:28 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
Cranman Offline

Duane, I'd suggest the wide width since it adds minimal weight and would be more comfortable. I am 6'1 and 170lbs and a side sleeper and the only thng I wish was that it was a bit longer. I have the long/wide 30F

This weekend my 30F Relevation X left me very cold on a upper 20's to low 30's night. It was the worst night's sleep I ever remember. The following night it was a few degrees warmer and I added a layer on top of all my base layers and I slept much better. Wish I had spent a few more $ ($10?) to go with the 20F version. Honestly I wish I had brought my Kelty 20F mummy bag, the extra 13oz of pack weight would have been well worth it after the very unfcofortable night. Nothing against the quilt at all, I still love it, but I guess I pushed my luck on the temp rating.

Also on the 2nd night I wrapped my quilt in a light tarp to help stay warmer and there was quite a bit of moisture on the tarp in the morning. So the quilt itself breathes well, I noticed zero moisture build up the previous night.

#172065 - 11/18/12 08:10 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: Cranman]
hikerduane Offline

Hmm, that's interesting that you were cold, Tim says they are already over stuffed, so his 30 quilt should be good into the 20's I would think. I usually hit some 28-30 degree nights in August in the Sierra during my week long vacation trips. Sleep comfort can vary from trip to trip. I was out bping Saturday night, checked temps for where I was going that AM. Low was supposed to be around 32, so I took my summer bag, a WM Caribou 35 degree bag. I figured if I added my wool underwear to compensate for any snow or freezing temps, I would be fine or get by. I also wanted to recheck my theory that when it rains, you are colder. I was correct, I was colder. One of my worse nights I think I have ever had and may have been part of the BD Hlight tents drawbacks. It is not waterproof, but almost water resistant. A few tiny pools of water this AM. More experience under my old belt.
It was 27-28F this AM.
Duane

Edited by hikerduane (11/18/12 08:11 PM)

#172066 - 11/18/12 08:24 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

I got a 20 deg with overstuff, glad I did, I save all my ounces so I can add a few for comfort! I figure my 20 deg quilt is my 3 season bag while my mountian hardware 0 deg bag for winter and colder temps.

Did you sleep wrapped up or strapped onto the pad? I actually got a 1/8" ccf I put inside then sleep on a seperate pad, pretty bomber setup.

#172081 - 11/18/12 11:03 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: Cranman]
llamero Offline

Cranman,
I had a similar experience with my 20* Rev X quilt as I discussed in more detail on another thread. Tim's open baffle design is flawed, it allows the down to settle at the edges of the quilt, which it does. I've never had that problem with a closed baffle bag. Tim said the over-stuff might help the down stay in place. Another flaw. I should not have to pay for more insulation to get the quilt to perform at it's rated temp. I understand that many people do not have this problem with the EE quilts, but like your experience, the 7 nights I spent in my Rev X quilt were the most miserable camping nights I've have in decades.

#172085 - 11/18/12 11:37 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: llamero]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By llamero
Cranman,
I had a similar experience with my 20* Rev X quilt as I discussed in more detail on another thread. Tim's open baffle design is flawed, it allows the down to settle at the edges of the quilt, which it does. I've never had that problem with a closed baffle bag. Tim said the over-stuff might help the down stay in place. Another flaw. I should not have to pay for more insulation to get the quilt to perform at it's rated temp. I understand that many people do not have this problem with the EE quilts, but like your experience, the 7 nights I spent in my Rev X quilt were the most miserable camping nights I've have in decades.
I respect what you say for sure! I plan on pushing my quilt to the 10 deg mark but hate to be uncomforatable so I must ask what size did you get and what size are you? Type of sleeper... I'm trying to see why and to whom quilts work well for.

#172089 - 11/19/12 06:28 AM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
Cranman Offline

Llamero-when I got home yesterday I laid out my quilt flat on my bed and there were several sections with minimal down, and also some areas on the edges with too much. I was able to manipulate it from area to area pretty well, but I see what you are saying about the open baffle design. One note though, I have used this quilt several times and never checked the down distribution, so it didn't happen overnight. I feel like this could probably be corrected by a good sewer, but I would have to agree this design is not ideal.

#172090 - 11/19/12 08:44 AM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

I thought I might be camping on snow, so I did bring my old ccf pad and used my short NeoAir also. My bag gained 2 oz. of weight was all.
Duane

#172111 - 11/19/12 12:31 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: Cranman]
llamero Offline

Cranman,
EE told me to lightly brush the down and redistribute it throughout the quilt. I did and it worked, but then I laid under my quilt for about 10 minutes and repeatedly changed positions like I would during the course of a night. Within those 10 minutes the down had settled to the edges again. Same poor results on my next camping trip. I felt like the sewer was indeed the best place for this quilt frown , but I returned it. In my opinion it is a bad baffle design, not the fault of the seamstress. Maybe the new design will correct this problem. The light weight, compactness and freedom to move are great qualities of a quilt, but not at the expense of being cold.

#172115 - 11/19/12 01:03 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: llamero]
Cranman Offline

I feel like it would be easy to repair by evening out the down and the carefully having the open part of the baffles sewed. I even considered just stictching a small spot in the center of the open part to restrict free movement of the down.

I know...you shouldn't have to do this. I have to believe the open baffle design isn't unique to EE quilts, maybe the lesser amounts of down in the 30 and 40F quilts just allows too much room for the down to move about.

#172117 - 11/19/12 02:03 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: Cranman]
rockchucker22 Offline

I guess with the overstuff the down has a tough time migrating. Cranman is yours overstuffed? If not send it back and have him add more down.

#172122 - 11/19/12 03:58 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

I posted a question/comment over where Tim frequents, maybe he or someone else there can help. If I gotta spend some money, I want to save some weight too. My Caribou bag is 1.5 lbs.
Duane

#172130 - 11/19/12 05:18 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I posted a question/comment over where Tim frequents, maybe he or someone else there can help. If I gotta spend some money, I want to save some weight too. My Caribou bag is 1.5 lbs.
Duane
What temp rating are you looking for? What rating is your caribou bag?

#172136 - 11/19/12 07:29 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

My WM Caribou is 35, I'm looking for 30 now. I'm seeing that as I get older, I need something a little warmer.
Duane

#172157 - 11/20/12 08:52 AM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

Tim posted this on another site I frequent.

"New baffles Jan1 with less gaps.

Anything over 30* seems fine with no overstuff but the 30 and 40 benefit very much from it.

Trying to have one baffle size for all lofts is tough and the only way to do it right is make the baffle smaller. We're not making all the boxes smaller but are making the walls bigger to reduce the size of the gap from 8" to 5". It's like the difference between an 8" or 5" continuous baffle. At 20-0* they work the same but at 40* the 8" allows too much shift. In our quilts it seems not everyone experiences migration the same so I assume sleeping style is somewhat part of the equation.

If you are having issues contact me and we can stick a little more down in there for you.

All quilts benefit from shaking down to the center though so dont every expect to never move the down before bed on any thing rated 30* or warmer."

-Tim

#172172 - 11/20/12 01:37 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: hikerduane]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I often use my WM bags as quilts (as a "throw" really - I unzip the bag and use it as a blanket). The lighter weight bags (Summerlite, Megalite) don't have enough down to fill out the bag to use as a quilt. So, I have mine overstuffed by WM ($10/once). I added 3 oz to each. The extra weight is worth it for me to have the added ability to use it as a quilt (which broadens the temperature range for which I can use the bag). When not overstuffed (and used as a throw) they have the same problem you described - migrating down.

Just to be clear - when used as a sleeping bag: when the down is shaken to the top of the bag it has a tendency to stay on top because it has no where to go as you are sleeping on the other half of the bag. So, the lighter bags work well as sleeping bags, but not as a blanket (Unless fill is added).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum