Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172078 - 11/18/12 10:18 PM Glucosamine Sulfate?
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Years of abuse and getting older, have taken a toll on my knees. I've started taking Glucosamine Sulfate supplemments at the recommendation of a good friend.

I've heard other's swear by it also, but it's my understanding that it can take 3 to 4 weeks for the effects to be felt, or in my case, soreness in the knees.

Just wondering if any others here might take these, and have experienced any benefit from it, or is it all just snake oil?

Thanks ahead for any help,
J.

#172079 - 11/18/12 10:33 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: jbylake]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I'm not a huge fan of any extra pills but working construction my joints are shot. Glucosamine seems alleviate pain I get in my knees and elbows. My biggest problem is so much comes from shark cartilage which I don't support. So you have to be careful of the source! Otherwise I feel it's really benificial to the old ball and sockets.

#172082 - 11/18/12 11:13 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: rockchucker22]
jbylake Offline

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
I'm not a huge fan of any extra pills but working construction my joints are shot. Glucosamine seems alleviate pain I get in my knees and elbows. My biggest problem is so much comes from shark cartilage which I don't support. So you have to be careful of the source! Otherwise I feel it's really benificial to the old ball and sockets.

Hey RC,
I didn't know about the shark, but I read the lable, and it states that the "glucosamine is derived from shrimp and crab shell". So I guess I'm good to go as far as the shark aspect is concerned.

Do you remember how long you had to take it before you noticed any affect in your joints?

Thanks,

J.

#172084 - 11/18/12 11:27 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: jbylake]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
1-3 months depends on the potency. I have tendinitis in both elbows and gsm has made a definite difference.

Edited by rockchucker22 (11/18/12 11:28 PM)

#172110 - 11/19/12 12:31 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: jbylake]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You might want to try a tablespoon of raw honey every morning. You'll know in just a few days if it's working.

"You want to go where?"

#172116 - 11/19/12 01:46 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: jbylake]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Have taken it daily for several years, "in case" it has a benefit. I can't ascribe any specific relief to it and wonder whether it's just superstitious behavior on my part. My mother had rather severe arthritis, beginning at a younger age than my current tally, and my father developed it later in life as well, so I'm willing to continue with my supersition, at least until somebody completes a study concluding it makes one's toenails drop off or somesuch.

[This would be a great time for my standard rant on how the "supplement" industry remains basically unregulated and under studied, so they're free to make wild claims with abandon, but I'm an adult so no rant.]

I know this much: I have plenty of body parts that hurt from time to time for no good reason, other than harvesting the mistakes of my impetuous youth (yut).

Cheers,

#172125 - 11/19/12 04:21 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: jbylake]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
My father is a primary care physician and definitely recommends it. He has bad knees and for a time would eat chicken knuckles for the glucosamine.

#172128 - 11/19/12 04:51 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: jbylake]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Latest medical research (I don't know if it's definitive) suggests that glucosamine/chondroitin supplements don't do much, if any, good. I looked for a reference to this study (came out some time this year) but didn't find it.

I unfortunately took the stuff for several months before reading the fine print on the label that it's derived from shellfish. I of course did read the fine print after I broke out in a horrible rash. Whether it's from shellfish itself or from my old allergy to iodine (from using it to disinfect water back in the 1980's), I don't know, but I tossed the rest of the glucosamine bottle and have avoided it since. Anything from the ocean contains iodine, and I should have known better! So should the physician who suggested I take it.

Anecdotally, there was no change to my joints either from taking the stuff or discontinuing it--for whatever that's worth. All I can say is that if you have an iodine or shellfish allergy, avoid it!

Relatively gentle exercise seems to be the best therapy for my arthritic joints. Swimming, walking and strength training with small weights seem to work the best. Keeping up motion and keeping the muscles strong around the joints has worked fine to date.

Have you tried physical therapy for your knees? Do you use trekking poles when you walk or hike?

#172134 - 11/19/12 06:19 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

I never bought into the chondroitin thing, so avoided the combination tablets as I didn't like the idea of eating shell extract (which, I'm guessing would be worse than sausage-making to actually observe the making thereof). Seeing a lot less of them these days, FWIW.

Cheers,

#172227 - 11/21/12 09:55 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: Rick_D]
jbylake Offline

Wow, one primary care physician say's yes, other's site work that say no, then there is the issue of iodine. (Believe me, I swallowed my share of Iodine in the military, especially in the 80's) so I know three things now, some say yes, some say no,and I've probably gotten enough iodine built up in my system to last me a life time, or what's left of it.

Now I'm paying for the folly of my youth...I used to long for Frank Zappa and Led Zepplin, now I long for one pain free day.. without Aleve...go figure.

J. cry

#172230 - 11/21/12 11:11 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
According to my friend who more or less runs all med statistics for Kaiser Permanente, you have to check carefully that your supplement contains glucosamine sulfate and NOT glucosamine hydrochloride (aka glucosamine HCL), because studies show the HCL formulation is not effective, while the sulfate formulation does have benefits.

#172231 - 11/21/12 11:29 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: aimless]
jbylake Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
According to my friend who more or less runs all med statistics for Kaiser Permanente, you have to check carefully that your supplement contains glucosamine sulfate and NOT glucosamine hydrochloride (aka glucosamine HCL), because studies show the HCL formulation is not effective, while the sulfate formulation does have benefits.

Aimless, the bottle says 1000mg glucosamine sulfate. There is no mention of HCL. However, in my ignornace of the subject, I'm suspect of supplements in general. Not known to be helpful stuff, like vitamin supplements, but things like this.

Reason being, you get so much differing information, even from people who should know, such as your friend, or one other, I forget who, who's father is a physician. I guess the only real way to know, if it's going to work for ME, is to just keep taking it. Maybe it's effective for some and not for others? I know that can be the case for traditional medicines, as I've had MD's, try different courses of treatment for the same ailment, until they found something that works.

The problem is, that I'm not sure how long I'll have to take it to find out. If I quit too early, it may have worked, and I not know it. If it's not going to work at all, I don't want to take it any longer than necessary to find out. And therein lies the problem. crazy

J.

#172232 - 11/21/12 11:42 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: jbylake]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It's true that statistical success says nothing about the outcome of individual cases, only about the odds of an individual case being successful prior to your doing anything. The outcome you get is the outcome you get, regardless of studies or odds.

#172245 - 11/22/12 01:47 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: aimless]
Rick_D Offline

Interesting. Mine's hydrochloride. [shrug] Have also heard it's more effective with pets (dogs) than humans.

Cheers,

#172293 - 11/23/12 05:08 PM Re: Glucosamine Sulfate? [Re: aimless]
jbylake Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
It's true that statistical success says nothing about the outcome of individual cases, only about the odds of an individual case being successful prior to your doing anything. The outcome you get is the outcome you get, regardless of studies or odds.

Well, I guess that's mostly true. Now I have to go and hate Joe Montana, who hawks this stuff on TV for money... mad

J. laugh

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum