Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171951 - 11/14/12 01:16 PM New home for two llamas
llamero Offline

Loc: western Oregon
Saturday was a bittersweet day. I parted with two of my four llamas, Jane and her three year old daughter Lucy went to live with a new family of humans, goats, dogs, chickens and one other female llama. It will be a wonderful long term home for them. They've been with all those animals and more, so they should all get along fine after introductions.

About 3 & 1/2 years ago I purchased Jane and Babe as experienced pack llamas from a family that were forced to relocate for a new job. It looked like a terrific situation for us both, they found a good home for their llamas and I got the second and third female pack llamas I wanted. Plus, Jane was pregnant with a cria from a well respected pack stud. She gave birth to Lucy a beautiful cream colored delight on August 29, 2009. Unfortunately I didn't get much use out of Jane for several years as she was nursing Lucy. We did a few trips with her, but did she did not perform well. I attributed her poor performance to being a new mom and she wasn't as well conditioned as the other packers. Since then I've decided it was something worse. Babe fit right in with my other girl and they have been rock solid for me.

We started Lucy on day hikes off the property the summer she turned two. By then she had learned to stand still for her saddle and panniers and how to walk into the trailer. Good start, very encouraging. She always did well on the hikes showing me that she was intelligent, curious and attentive to her surroundings although she wanted to go slow and check out every new thing. On every day hike she showed more confidence than the last. I beamed with pride and excitement, the little cria I had been handling since the day she was born was growing into a willing and capable packer. Finally, this spring Lucy was old enough to start training and conditioning as a full grown pack llama. That's as good as it was going to get.

Shortly into her first conditioning hike this spring, on a familiar trail, Lucy began to balk at going forward and became agitated. Then she began to breath heavily and make weird bugling noises. We turned around went back to the trailer. I was a bit alarmed, but she calmed down and acted normal within 5-10 minutes. It was a hot day and I hadn't sheared them yet so I thought that probably had something to with it. Two days later I took them out again much earlier in the morning on a shady trail. This time Lucy started having breathing difficulties almost immediately after we started, and her condition continued for about 15 minutes after we stopped walking. My vet examined her and treated her for allergies, but after several weeks we walked again and she was just as bad. I was able to get the vets at the Oregon State University Veterinary Hospital to see Lucy and they scoped her throat and determined she has a collapsing trachea, most likely a congenital condition. Lucy was not ever going to be a pack llama, but she would probably do okay just hanging in the pasture. I was devastated and it had an impact on the few trips I took this summer. This summer I kept an eye on her and you would not know anything was wrong, she ran and romped abound the pastures.

I put Jane back in the string this summer and because she was well conditioned with no baby to worry over I expected good things. Jane did pretty well on the first and second days, but then she would begin to balk, breath hard and eventually kush even on flat trail. Knowing what I know about Lucy I decided that Jane must have the same or similar condition to a lesser degree. Jane was never going to be a pack llama again either.

I pay rent for pasture so keeping non-pack llamas is not really an option. As much as I did not want to I placed an ad in Craigslist, with full disclosure of course, to find Lucy and Jane a new home, together. It took several weeks to weed out the spam, cons and poor choices, but I did find a nice couple that needed a companion for their one remaining female llama and host of other critters. Saturday Jane and Lucy left and I am still feeling really weird, remorseful. I get very attached to my animals. There is also a special place in my heart for the man that sold Jane to me and told me about her problems only after I asked specifically about her behavior. What kind of person would breed an animal suspected of being unhealthy and then sell that animal without full disclosure? Wait, I know.

My two remaining girls look for their pasture mates during the day, but at feeding time they don't miss them so much. Soon I'll start looking soon for that elusive third pack llama. Today I'm going mushroom hunting.

Edited by llamero (11/14/12 01:18 PM)

#171954 - 11/14/12 02:04 PM Re: New home for two llamas [Re: llamero]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
That's too bad. It is amazing they sold you an "experienced" pack animal that had a congenital problem preventing it from packing. If you want to go that route it sounds like you have a good case in small claims court. You might want to write a letter requesting reimbursement for some of your expenses.

#171964 - 11/14/12 08:12 PM Re: New home for two llamas [Re: BZH]
llamero Offline

Loc: western Oregon
It is a sad situation. Proving Jane's condition and proving that the previous owner knew would be very difficult. I'm not going there. Anyway, I'm not out a ton of money. I've moved on, looking forward, no regrets, headed for the silver lining...
Writing that piece about my experience helped clear my head and emotions and I found enough chanterelles today to fill a large shoe box. It has been a good day.

#171966 - 11/14/12 09:59 PM Re: New home for two llamas [Re: llamero]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Sorry to hear about your two llamas, but I'm glad you found a good home for them. I hope you worked out something with the new owners about never breeding them.

I'd love to learn more about llamas--all I know about them, really, is that they are native to the Andes, plus the Ogden Nash poem (quoted in hopes of cheering you up!):

Quote:
A one-l lama, he's a priest.
A two-l llama, he's a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn't any
Three-l lllama.*

*The author's attention has been called to a type of conflagration known
as a three-alarmer. Pooh.

Anyway, when you have leisure to post more about your llamas, I'd love to know more about them!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/14/12 10:02 PM)

#171967 - 11/14/12 10:01 PM Re: New home for two llamas [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I'm also very interested, thanks for sharing!

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum