Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170833 - 10/23/12 09:23 AM Enlightened Equipment.
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Doing a bit of research and I really like these quilts. Any body have much experience with Tim Marshal and his quilts? What other brands should I look at? Thanks in advance for the responses!

#170837 - 10/23/12 11:28 AM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I have an EE Revelation X quilt. I am very happy with it. You do have to wait for them to make it, but he beat his promised time. The construction quality is excellent. I had a difficult time finding the cosmetic flaws in the fabric he uses for Rev X. It is really an amazing price for what you get. I chose it over a WM bag that costs twice as much. I think the EE quilt is just as warm, lighter, and more flexible (plus half the cost!).

I posted a review with pictures somewhere. Since I can never figure out how to get pictures up here it is probably over on backpackinglight.com

Also, Tim has started building up a small inventory that he posts on bpl. If he has what you want in stock you won't have to wait. Here's the link: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...thread_id=66499

Though the forum is currently closed to non-member posting. I am guessing you could email him if you want one of the posted quilts.

Edited by BZH (10/23/12 11:28 AM)

#170838 - 10/23/12 11:39 AM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: BZH]
rockchucker22 Offline

Thanks BZH! I have contacted Tim, seems to me the way to go!

#170840 - 10/23/12 12:20 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
It really is the way to go. Honestly I don't see the advantage of a sleeping bag over a quilt except if you sleep somewhere where bugs or critters would be an issue. But in those cases bugs and critters could stil crawl in the top opening of a sleeping bag...so again I don't see any advantage. I challenge anyone to try a quilt and explain how it's not at least equal if not superior to a sleeping bag. The only reason I feel this way is because my quilt is so freakin comfortable and I would never have known except I got a good used quilt for cheap which allowed me to try it out on a trip.

Oh yeah, here's the review of my quilt: http://www.backpacking.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=169922#Post169922

Edited by Cranman (10/23/12 12:22 PM)
Edit Reason: added hyperlink of review

#170845 - 10/23/12 01:39 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: Cranman]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Some of us do a lot of tossing and turning at night and can't stand cold drafts down the neck. Give me a sleeping bag with a good draft collar any day! Sleep styles are very individual. Whether to use a quilt or sleeping bag is something that each person has to try and decide for him/her self.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/23/12 01:40 PM)

#170846 - 10/23/12 01:43 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

Thanks Oregon Mouse! I too toss and turn, one of the reservations I have.

#170848 - 10/23/12 02:11 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I have never bought from Tim. However, I have only seen positive comments about his quality and service.

#170853 - 10/23/12 03:18 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I also toss and turn and was a bit concerned before I ordered a quilt. I found that when I closed the top snap on the EE quilt, the whole pulled in around me, just like a sleeping bag. Plus, if I get to warm, I just have to stick out a leg or an arm, or unbutton the top snap and let the draft in. Try to do that in a half-zip sleeping bag.

It is true though that not everyone who has tried a quilt has loved them. They do tend to be more drafty than a sleeping bag with a draft collar. I think they tend to put more insulation in to compensate, but if you get annoyed by drafts, a quilt probably won't work for you.

#170855 - 10/23/12 04:59 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

I toss, turn and roll in my sleep. Won't do sleeping bags - one incident with a stuck zipper and a full bladder, and a claustrophobic panic attack, was enough to say NEEEVVVVVVVER AGAIN. Quilts rule!

I have a winter bag - it has to truly be winter to get me to use it. And it is roomier than Most 3 season mummy bags.

Edited by lori (10/23/12 05:00 PM)

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#170856 - 10/23/12 05:41 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: lori]
Cranman Offline

Most of us (myself included) that toss and turn also do that in beds at home, but manage to keep covered and sleep well enough smile I have only spent one night in below 40F with my quilt and it worked great. I also prefer to sleep in underwear only so for me the only downside is either sleeping directly on my air matteress or having to bring a sheet of some sort. But for sure "to each his own" and if you don't plan your sleeping gear well and sleep comfortably trips jus aren't as fun. On this subject I have also learned a heavier but more comfortabe mattress is worth the extra weight!

#170857 - 10/23/12 06:40 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: lori]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By lori
I toss, turn and roll in my sleep. Won't do sleeping bags - one incident with a stuck zipper and a full bladder, and a claustrophobic panic attack, was enough to say NEEEVVVVVVVER AGAIN. Quilts rule!

I have a winter bag - it has to truly be winter to get me to use it. And it is roomier than Most 3 season mummy bags.
I've had a similar experience at 13000 feet, so I was already lacking o2, I almost never zip my bag up all the way.

What is it like sleeping on the straps?

Thanks everyone for the usefull information.

#170859 - 10/23/12 06:46 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
Weldman Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, Ca
I purchased one back in March, Revelation X- 6' reg with the 30% overfill for the 30 degree ( 20 oz) and used a silk liner to keep the inside clean.
I used a 8L WP bag to stuff mine in worked perfect.

Tried it out on 2 trips this season.

Wore a light fabric Balacava, T-shirt & hiking pants & use a 3/4 Z-lite pad. One trip was just 40 degrees and the other was down to 24 degrees. Note : I use a Tarptent Squall 2

Determine if you are a cold or warm sleeper when choosing!

Will not got back to a bag again for 3 season camping smile

Mike

#170860 - 10/23/12 07:18 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
lori Offline

my quilts don't have straps.

I don't have too many issues with draftiness, either. I seem to have practiced enough with a 20" mattress and a quilt that I sleep quite warmly, into the low 20F range with appropriate base layer and a warm beanie hat.

I sleep directly on the pad - NeoAir or Big Agnes Q Core - and the base layer does the job nicely of limiting the issue of skin-on-nylon.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#170862 - 10/23/12 07:56 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: lori]
Cranman Offline

As for the straps w/snaps, I never use them. I cinch down the bottom end and zip it up to create the "foot box" and once my feet are in there the rest of the quilt drapes over me like a bed quilt. I think the foot box does two things, it keeps the feet warmer becasue they are surrounded by down and also as you move around it keeps your feet contained and also keeps the quilt mostly centered. You could use the quilt unzipped and lying flat like a normal blanket but I don't think it would work well at all like that. So I guess really it's a hybrid, 1/2 quilt 1/2 sleping bag.

#170863 - 10/23/12 08:08 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
A lot of sleeping bags can be used as a quilt if desired. I have a WM Summerlite that I mostly use as a quilt but it has the advantage of being zip-upable if drafts become a problem. I have a homemade down quilt I used until I got the Summerlite that is warm to the mid-20°'s unless it or I get out of position. Then, drafts and cold air will wake me up and make me adjust me and the quilt. Then it is back to sleep until the next cold spot comes along. It does not have straps but does have "draft stopper" fabric strips along the sides. For temperatures to around 28°F, I like the Summerlite; it can be used as either a sleeping bag or quilt depending on conditions and it only weighs 19 oz. I can extend it's useability to near 20°F by wearing my clothes to bed. My purpose-made quilt weighs 18 oz. The quilt does have a head hole so I can use it as an insulated jacket but I can accomplish pretty much the same thing by wrapping my sleeping bag around me in cold weather.

#170864 - 10/23/12 08:20 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: Pika]
rockchucker22 Offline

I was just looking at a WM bag, very nice! But at 435$ I could get 2 of Tim's quilts!

#170865 - 10/23/12 08:54 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
rockchucker22 Offline

Oh man you guys suck, I just placed my order! Tim has my size and temp ready to stuff. Grey/lime

#170866 - 10/23/12 09:18 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Great. Now I'm considering one. Need a 3 season quilt or bag. My 15 degree Mountain Hardwear bag has quarter zip. Impossible to vent and easy to get hot in it. Therefore, it be reserve for cold, cold nights in this area.

#170867 - 10/23/12 09:27 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: ETSU Pride]
rockchucker22 Offline

190$ 20 deg overstuffed, basicly the same as the 10 deg quilt, really not bad at all.I just ordered it and Tim instantly emailed me and said it would be stuffed and shipped by Thursday! That's impressive.

#170868 - 10/23/12 09:27 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
rockchucker22 Offline

Oh and 1.5 lbs!!! Half the weight of my current bag.

Edited by rockchucker22 (10/23/12 09:28 PM)

#170872 - 10/23/12 09:58 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I noticed he has a synthetic version, anyone know the stuff size? Sorry for mildly derailing the thread.

#170875 - 10/23/12 10:14 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: ETSU Pride]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
I noticed he has a synthetic version, anyone know the stuff size? Sorry for mildly derailing the thread.
Derail away! It still is very pertinent to the conversation. I too are courious about this.

On a side note funny how no matter where we are technologically we still find the basics the best. Wool, down, skin... Anyone see the nat geo a few months ago, the last inset has a picture of a Eskimo with a walrus gut coat. I swear it looks as modern as any high end parka produced today. So it makes sinse that a blanket format is more comfortable in general. It's what we are use to and use everyday.

Talk about derail......

#171013 - 10/28/12 10:38 AM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
rockchucker22 Offline

Got my quilt yesterday! It's so nice great craftsmanship. Can't wait to try it.

#171125 - 10/30/12 05:23 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: rockchucker22]
Hermes (Nick G) Offline

You will not find anyone complaining about Tim's quilts, even if you look hard. Certainly nobody will have anything ill to say about his customer service.

The one thing is, though, you have to like quilts. If you don't like quilts, there's nothing in particular that EE can do to change that.

#171129 - 10/30/12 07:07 PM Re: Enlightened Equipment. [Re: Hermes (Nick G)]
rockchucker22 Offline

What stuff sacks are people using for thier quilts? I was thinking z packs cuben fiber sack looks good for $13.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum