Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168746 - 08/25/12 09:10 PM Paleo FBC Meals
Hawke Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Hey all. I just thought I'd post this up for anyone who is interested. I started eating Paleo about 6 months ago, and I've been on a mission to create FBC meals that conform to my admittedly odd diet. I am about to embark on a couple of endeavors the next few weeks that required me to come up with 7 breakfasts & 7 dinners, so I figured it was as good a time as any to experiment with Paleo FBC meals. So without further ado:

Dinners:
Panang Curry Pork w/sweet potato
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti w/sausage, ground beef, chantrelles, and parmesan cheese
Mashed sweet potatoes with either ground beef or white meat chicken, chantrelles, and butter

Breakfasts:
OvaEasy egg omelets w/mixed bell peppers, onions, garlic, pequins, and either bacon or sausage.

Not too shabby! Hopefully they're edible. I'm happy to give out the recipes if anyone is interested. I'll give some feedback after I see how they turn out.

#168826 - 08/28/12 06:33 PM Re: Paleo FBC Meals [Re: Hawke]
Abnrml1 Offline

Loc: IL
Thanks for this. I started the Paleo 2 weeks ago. Not easy with the rest of the family eating all of the stuff that you can't.

You mentioned breakfast and dinners. What do you plan for lunches and snacks along the trail?

#168827 - 08/28/12 08:03 PM Re: Paleo FBC Meals [Re: Abnrml1]
Hawke Offline

I've been eating paleo long enough that if I have two big meals a day, that's about all I need. I'm taking plenty of jerky, roasted almonds, some pemmican, fruit & nut bars (not totally paleo I know, depending, but I will likely need the change), mixed dried fruit.... This is a trial run for planning backpacking food down the road, so now is the time for me to work out the bugs, rather than doing it on the trail. smile

#168840 - 08/29/12 09:08 AM Re: Paleo FBC Meals [Re: Hawke]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
we are doing Paleo also but what makes it hard to follow what you can eat and not eat. Some folks say you can eat this while others say you can't.

In your dinner meal I notice there are certain items that are not considered Paleo like the butter and sweet potatoes (again it depends what some people say)

Edited by Ewker (08/29/12 09:08 AM)

#168842 - 08/29/12 10:49 AM Re: Paleo FBC Meals [Re: Ewker]
Hawke Offline

Yup. Paleo is all about how you personalize it. I'm not lactose intolerant, so I eat dairy. I'm a female, and so need more low GI carbs, like sweet potatoes.

#169099 - 09/06/12 06:31 PM Re: Paleo FBC Meals [Re: Hawke]
kenp Offline

I'd be interested in the recipes if you find that they come out decent.

#169610 - 09/20/12 03:21 PM Re: Paleo FBC Meals [Re: kenp]
Hawke Offline

They all came out well, but I made all of them on a stove top. I have a second set of the meals that I'm going to try simply with boiling water & see how they come out. Kenp, do you want the recipes before or after I do that?

#170684 - 10/17/12 07:40 PM Re: Paleo FBC Meals [Re: Hawke]
hercdiver Offline

Loc: Maryland
Been eating Paleo for over a year now. Would love your recipes. I have been finding it hard to eat Paleo while on the trail.
The breakfast are pretty easy with dehydrated eggs and sausage. Lunch is pretty simple also with almonds and jerky. Dinner can be something else though. Thanks

#170688 - 10/17/12 09:14 PM Re: Paleo FBC Meals [Re: hercdiver]
Hawke Offline

For the curry, I peeled, cubed, and boiled enough sweet potatoes for 3 servings (I can't tell you how much this is-how much sweet potato do you eat in one sitting?), mashed them in my KitchenAid, using some of the leftover pot liquor to thin them a bit for good mashing. Then I divided it in thirds, and spread it on parchment paper about 1/8" thick. Then dehydrated it at 135 until it was crackly. Mine took about 10 hrs (I just left it go overnight. I bought Thai Red Curry Paste (I prefer Mae Plong brand), spread it out on parchment, and dehydrated it at the same time as the potatoes. When the paste was done, I ground it in my food processor. In a quart ziplock, I put one of the servings of potatoes, about 2T of the dried curry paste, about 1/4 c of coconut cream powder, and about 1/2 c of freeze dried pork sausage (from Honeyville).

For the mashed sweet potatoes, I did the same potato prep, put it in the quart bags with 1/2 c of either FD ground beef or chicken, 2T of butter powder, and some dried chantrelle mushrooms I got at Whole Foods. This one definitely needs at least salt/pepper to zest it up a bit.

For spaghetti, I baked a spaghetti squash whole, let it cool a bit, cut it in half, cleaned out the seeds, and spread the pulp on two dehydrator trays (I figured 1 serving for each half). I also dehydrated a jar of my favorite no meat spaghetti sauce (I find the serving ratio works best at about 1/3 jar a serving, but do what works) for about 10 hrs, until it's leathery. Put the squash & the sauce-leather in a ziplock along with 1/4C ea. of FD hamburger & sausage, & some more of the chantrelle mushrooms. Separately package some grated parmesan (I use little teeny ziplocks like you can get at a craft store), and voila!

I know these aren't very exact, but I hope it gives you some ideas. The freeze dried meats are expensive, but they are so easy and tasty, and have made more than enough servings to pay for themselves.

#170697 - 10/18/12 08:33 AM Re: Paleo FBC Meals [Re: Hawke]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Some more ideas that might fit into your diet-

"Chips" made from seedless cucumbers or zucchini. I put dehydrated zucchini (and/or spinach) into my spaghetti mixtures, but might eat cuke or zucchini "chips" with lunch. Sun dried tomatoes can be cut up and added to many meals or eaten with those cuke chips. To me, they round out beef or pepperoni and cheese sticks.

One of the backpacker cookbooks features my recipe for a “walking salad.” It is basically carrots, raisins, and applesauce, mixed together and dried in “patties” or small sheets. It can also be done with celery and even cabbage. Walnuts or almonds are a good addition. Pumpkin leather, canned pumpkin mixed 1:1 with applesauce and sweetened to taste, with or without nuts or pumpkin pie spice is a nutritious change of pace. Lately, I’ve been tossing chia seeds into many concoctions. If I want the leather to be more of a meal, I blend in silky tofu or yogurt for more protein. The latter may not cut it for a Paleo diet. Maybe cooked edamame would work for a vegetarian who wanted to move towards Paleo.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum