Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169915 - 09/28/12 07:44 PM Sleeping pad advice needed!
Yummy sardine Offline

I'm hoping for some suggestions on non-inflatable pads. I use and love the BA dual core air pad. It's heavy of course, but for 3-6 day trips the comfort/weight trade off is acceptable. But I've got a multi month hike in the spring and need to both cut weight and gain the security a foam pad will give me as I'm bound to pop an air pad on such a long hike . I'm also cursed with a lousy lower back and really need the extra cushion....

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

#169916 - 09/28/12 08:02 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: Yummy sardine]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Yummy sardine
I'm hoping for some suggestions on non-inflatable pads. I use and love the BA dual core air pad. It's heavy of course, but for 3-6 day trips the comfort/weight trade off is acceptable. But I've got a multi month hike in the spring and need to both cut weight and gain the security a foam pad will give me as I'm bound to pop an air pad on such a long hike . I'm also cursed with a lousy lower back and really need the extra cushion....

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Good luck with that.

Foam in the comfortable cushion density will be bulkier and heavier than anything out there. There are no non-inflatable pads that I've seen.

If you want something that's a good balance of comfy, light and packable, the NeoAir is going to be it - I've been using mine for years now, all the while helping people patch their "durable" self inflating pads and other pads/mattresses. Don't inflate the thing to capacity, don't bounce on it, don't put it on bare ground, pick your campsites carefully, don't leave it fully inflated in the tent in the sun... If you're really nervous about it take a torso length foam pad just in case.

I don't do anything but inflating pads, I go all the time, I took one out for nine days this summer, and I have no issues. Which is not to say that no one will have issues - just that rumors of the fragility of inflatable pads is exaggerated and I think that often there are other factors at play. I have never seen a BA inflatable POP. They develop leaks sometimes, and the patch kits will address those. Sometimes they have manufacturing defects, but this is why trying them out at home or car camping is a good thing.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#169917 - 09/28/12 08:25 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: lori]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
not an easy one..
If you really are worried about deflation you could do a dual system.
Your BA I think is 30 oz.
If you get a Neo Air XLite (72") and a Z Lite (solid foam) and cut this down to torso length (say 51") the combined weight is about 22.5 oz
That will give you more than enough warmth and comfort and a back up if the Neo Air goes flat.
my 3 season mat is a Neo Air (the original) ,never had problems with that but some don't like it ...

#169921 - 09/28/12 08:49 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: lori]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Another vote for NeoAir - the all-season is a higher R-factor (I've used it around thirty degrees, and could feel warmth radiating back up to me) and seems quite sturdy. I'm trying out the XTherm this year, but haven't used it yet. (Tomorrow, yes.)

#169968 - 09/29/12 11:30 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Another vote for NeoAir - the all-season is a higher R-factor (I've used it around thirty degrees, and could feel warmth radiating back up to me) and seems quite sturdy. I'm trying out the XTherm this year, but haven't used it yet. (Tomorrow, yes.)

Glen, I just tried my new Thermorest Trail Lite, and it was a complete bust. I wrote about it in a short gear review, but basically it was just $80.00 right down the drain, in my opinion. I was looking at the Neo Air 72 in inflatible, and it looks pretty comfortable. I think I read where a long time member here, Lori, I think, uses inflatibles, and hasn't had much problems with leaking. I see them priced all over the place from $139 to $160. I wanted to get your thoughts on their durability. Some reviews I read using various search engines were all over the place. Most said they were very comfortable, but there was quite a bit of disparity when it came to them leaking air.

Can you elaborate on your experience with them a little more? I really don't want to throw another 130 dollars or more away.

Thanks ahead,
J.

#169969 - 09/29/12 11:45 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: jbylake]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have a thermorest luxury map xl. It is a wonderful pad (no bleed off and insulates from ground well)but can be rough to carry due to its width. I use an external frame pack so I've tied it along one side of the frame. I offset the weight by packing opposite side a little heavier.

#169971 - 09/30/12 01:19 AM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: anicinabe]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Don't forget Exped. You can get their UL 7 Synmat or UL 7 Downmat for about a pound. If my wonderful 3 1/2 inch thick pad from the late lamented Kooka Bay gives up the ghost, I'll be looking at the UL7 Downmat. I had horrible results from the NeoAir--I couldn't get comfortable on the horizontal baffles and every time I turned over I rolled off it. This won't happen on the Exped mats because the outside (vertical) baffles are very slightly larger.

From my reading about the NeoAir, either you love it or you hate it. For me, it's the latter. Your Mileage May Vary! I suggest at least a night's trial on the floor at home first!

I carry a 1/8" CCF pad to put under my insulated air pad. Yes, it adds a couple of ounces more weight, but it provides a little extra insulation, can double as a sit pad, protects the air pad from underneath and really helps with the slip-and-slide situation on silnylon floors.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/30/12 01:20 AM)

#169979 - 09/30/12 11:57 AM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I would have to agree with organ mouse, I'm just off my forth trip with my big Agnes q-core and find it tough to get very comfortable. For one thing seems these inflatables make a ton of noise. Sounds like I'm on a balloon, squeaking, squaking, pinging noises that wake me every time I time I roll over. It seems very durable and fine for insulation value, just haven't slept well on it.

#169980 - 09/30/12 01:03 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: jbylake]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Just got my first night on the Neoair XTherm. It got down to about 40, on a clear, windless night in Ohio; I was in a tent with the rain fly on, using a 40 degree hoodless down sleeping bag, wearing lightweight long john top and bottom.

It did just fine; I could feel the heat reflecting back up to me. I was using the 48" version, and it seemed a bit narrower to me, but I think that may be the severe rounding at the top creating a perception rather than a fact. It took about an hour, but I completely adapted to it and never had any problem staying on it.

It appears to be fairly durable - at least as durable as the original and all-season NeoAirs I've had. I never had any problem with leakage, and I used all of them in chair kits for sitting to cook supper.

I found it to be quite comfortable. If you get one, start with it fully inflated, then lie on it. It will probably feel "hard" or "bouncy." While lying on it, open the valve (it will be up by your right shoulder), and let the air out slowly until it feels just right.

I think the reason the reviews are all over the place is that they haven't been around long enough for anyone to develop any thorough experience. This means that people are writing the reviews about comfort before they've really learned how to tweak it in use. I'm not sure they've been around long enough for any real, solid evidence about long-term durability; many of the leaks and other durability issues may be due to user error (I remember similar arguments about the original Thermarests leaking; they all went away as people learned how to use them.)

So, will you be throwing money away if you get one. Personally, I side with Lori: I've never had any problems with NeoAirs, and don't anticipate any. (Yes, you have to take a little care with them - you can't beat them up the way you can closed cell foam. But that little extra care is worth it for the far greater comfort.)

#169983 - 09/30/12 01:29 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Arrrghhhh! So many choices, so many opinions. O.K., I think I'm going to buy a NeoAir (full length 72"). I found them on the 'net for about $139. I suppose thermorest does sell repair kits seperately?

J. smile

#170000 - 09/30/12 11:16 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: rockchucker22]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
I would have to agree with organ mouse, I'm just off my forth trip with my big Agnes q-core and find it tough to get very comfortable. For one thing seems these inflatables make a ton of noise. Sounds like I'm on a balloon, squeaking, squaking, pinging noises that wake me every time I time I roll over. It seems very durable and fine for insulation value, just haven't slept well on it.

Some day I will get to the bottom of this sort of thing.

It happens that I am reviewing a Q Core at backpackgeartest.org. It makes no more noise than any other pad I've ever used. But I never ever inflate them to capacity. I do and always have tossed, turned, and walked (in my sleep) the pads I use around the tent, and frequently wake with my face in mesh. And yet, as with the NeoAir (original, which multitudes complained about as "crinkly"), I have noticed nothing loud or unusual about it.

The Q Core is hands down the comfiest I have ever used. The NeoAir is my light and tiny-packing pad - but it may find a home in my SAR pack for good.

#170002 - 09/30/12 11:43 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: lori]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By lori
Originally Posted By rockchucker22

Some day I will get to the bottom of this sort of thing.

It happens that I am reviewing a Q Core at backpackgeartest.org. It makes no more noise than any other pad I've ever used. But I never ever inflate them to capacity. I do and always have tossed, turned, and walked (in my sleep) the pads I use around the tent, and frequently wake with my face in mesh. And yet, as with the NeoAir (original, which multitudes complained about as "crinkly"), I have noticed nothing loud or unusual about it.

The Q Core is hands down the comfiest I have ever used. The NeoAir is my light and tiny-packing pad - but it may find a home in my SAR pack for good.
after reading your review on your site (today.....) I inflated my pad and then deflated lower than I used this weekend as you stated it felt much better. I do admit to starting with it medium inflation but was worried about temps dropping and ending up hips on the ground. I should have left it alone as it didn't lose a drop of air. Next few trips will tell I guess.

I didn't get the neo as inflated at the store sounded like tyvek in a heavy wind.(imagine a grocery bag being crumbled and mashed 2" from your ear.) funny thing is normaly I'm a good sleeper, ccf pads work fine for me, getting a bit older I felt the need to increase comfort a bit but have yet to be satisfied. What a whip I've become! Might go back to my old pos pad I've has for 25 years.

#170003 - 09/30/12 11:51 PM Re: Sleeping pad advice needed! [Re: rockchucker22]
lori Offline

The NEW NeoAir I know is noisier... a friend brought it on a 9 day trip this past summer. She didn't like it. It did sound notably crinklier.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum