Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169942 - 09/29/12 02:29 PM Time to plant a winter garden
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
You can see three plots and for the sake of simplicity I'll refer to them as front and rear. It's hard to see what's there, I know.

First the purchased started plants.
In the right rear I planted savoy cabbage and iceberg lettuce. In the center rear the lettuce carried over and finished up with broccoli. Both of these sections are laid out so I can put my popup greenhouse which is about 4x8 and looks like a see through pup tent. I can hang a drop light in there if needed for warmth.

In the left rear I planted onions. These can by mulched when it gets cold.

I also had some old seeds. Maybe they're good, maybe not.
In the right front (in front of the cabbage and lettuce) I planted beets, radishes, and lots of carrots. Again, these can be mulched when it gets cold.

I still have a few pepper plants in the center front and left front. The Caribbean habanero and jalapeno are still producing. I even picked a jalapeno today. They'll die off when it gets cold enough.

#170301 - 10/09/12 10:20 PM Re: Time to plant a winter garden [Re: PerryMK]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I till under winter rye I've had growing in the same spot for 10 years and spread some Spelt a couple years ago in Sept. All that gets crushed by the snow, so I have just a fair to poor stand in the Spring. I just like to see stuff grow.
Duane

#170323 - 10/10/12 12:03 PM Re: Time to plant a winter garden [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
At the end of Summer my garden was just overgrown with weeds again this year. It just gets too darn hot and buggy to keep weeding in July/August and last year I never did get out there to get them out, so this Spring my garden wasn't in the best of shape.

This year I let my burros in there for a few days late last month and they ate most all of them down to nothing. Of course, they stomped on my raised beds a bit too, but they're easier to put back that do all that weeding, so I think I'm on to something there wink

Since the donkeys did the weeding for me I planted some lettuce and radishes the past few days. I made some low hoop tunnels from light fencing and put a cover of visqueen over them to make a sort of mini greenhouse.

I've read about this for the past few years and decided to give it a try. I've only done one row in my garden so far. Not sure if I'll do more, I might just wait and see how it works out. From what I've read I should be able to keep cool weather veggies growing in them all winter long. We'll see...

I'm still getting a few green peppers and some potatoes sprouted up from where I planted them in early Spring and are growing like crazy. I got a couple spuds from them this week too. That was a surprise. I'll let the rest grow for a few more weeks or until the first hard cold snap and then I'll go gather up the last of whatever they have to offer.

Also got some tomato plants coming up from seed off of this years plantings. Some are already about a foot tall. They won't make it, but I'm letting them grow to see how far they go.

"You want to go where?"

#173158 - 12/18/12 06:32 PM Re: Time to plant a winter garden [Re: billstephenson]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
It looks like I'll be eating fresh broccoli this weekend. The lettuce is looking good and the cabbage is just starting to head. The onions ar still going but are underground and I haven't checked one yet.

The weather has been so mild that I am still getting hot peppers and even made a bottle of habenero sauce last weekend.

#173164 - 12/19/12 11:05 AM Re: Time to plant a winter garden [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Wow, that's great Perry!

My lettuce is still producing. The radishes didn't do too well, but the seed was probably pretty old.

It's been incredibly mild here so far. Nice weather for backpacking, but not a lot of rain yet. The lakes and stream are pretty low for this time of year. Kind of scary...

"You want to go where?"

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum