Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169437 - 09/16/12 12:09 AM MSR Dragonfly
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Hi,new guy here. By the way nice to "meet" you all. I have a question for anyone who might know about this.
I have a brand new MSR Dragonfly that's going on it's maiden voyage Monday. It's replacing an old MSR stove. I know there is an upgraded pump available for most of the other models, that's stronger, but I can only find them for ever model [/i]except[i] the dragonfly. Does anyone know if MSR is going to offer the upgraded (stronger) pump for the Dragonfly)?
Contacted MSR but no response.
Thanks ahead for any help or info.

J.

#169439 - 09/16/12 03:13 AM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: jbylake]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
How did you contact them? Any time I want to know anything from a manufacturer, I always call them unless they are overseas, which MSR is not. I've called MSR before and got helped right away. That was before Cascade bought them, but I doubt things have changed much.

#169440 - 09/16/12 01:06 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: TomD]
jbylake Offline

I sent them a message on the "Contact Us" part of their website. I guess I'll try to call them. Thanks,

J.

#169441 - 09/16/12 02:42 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: jbylake]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've contacted them using the Contact Us feature several times, and always gotten a response within 24 hours.

#169443 - 09/16/12 07:52 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: jbylake]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
When my pump broke I got a great and reasonably speedy response.

#169450 - 09/17/12 05:41 AM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: jbylake]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Get the phone # and call them. The DF works very good, very nice simmer. I've only used my 2008 model about three times and have a new one from '99 with a nib exchanged pump from MSR to replace the poor blue/red pump. I've sent two blue/red pumps back to them that I got from stoves I've bought off the bay of evil, one cost me nothing, the other the normal $20 exchange they offer. Enjoy your trip. I obtained a Bernie Dawg Dragontamer cap for mine, makes them run so quiet. Gary offers them on the bay of evil at times.
Duane

#169467 - 09/17/12 04:42 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: hikerduane]
jbylake Offline

I have the solid red pump. It looks like the new ones are red/grey, and sold for everything but the dragonfly. Oh well, it works just fine. I'm not worried about the noise, I really don't think they're all that loud. People post reviews of them, stating they sound like a jet taking off or something. I really wonder if people that write the reviews really use them, or are just posting some anecdotal story they heard from a friend, who's 2nd cousin's girlfrinds BFF, grocer told them.
I find them very controllable, from simmer to full blast boiling, and plan on using mine year around. I know some people prefer different stoves for different climates, conditions etc..but I can get along with mine just fine. The only complaint I have about the Dragonfly, which I think is true with all of their bottle stoves, is that the braided brass fuel line from the stove to the bottle is too short. I wish it was 2x as long, and I might just make up my own braided line for mine, when I get back. Thanks for the info.

J.

Edited by jbylake (09/17/12 04:43 PM)

#169475 - 09/17/12 05:55 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: jbylake]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I have the Dragonfly as well - and it is so loud I feel guilty starting it up in the morning or late evening if I'm camping near others. However, overall I'm happy with it - we have the international, I believe, which allows us to use gasoline - very convient while traveling (any extra leftover - just put it in the tank.)

#169478 - 09/17/12 06:23 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: Heather-ak]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Originally Posted By Heather-ak
I have the Dragonfly as well - and it is so loud I feel guilty starting it up in the morning or late evening if I'm camping near others. However, overall I'm happy with it - we have the international, I believe, which allows us to use gasoline - very convient while traveling (any extra leftover - just put it in the tank.)

I like that idea a lot because in the event of an emergency. Different fuel sources might be key . That and some 3-4' of 1/2" fuel line for siphoning fuel from random vehicles equip ment or what have you.

I believe if you feel guilty for firing your stove up. You might want to test the dragon tamer.I Don't own either but the reviews and videos I've seen are nicE!

Edited by Samoset (09/17/12 06:38 PM)

#169479 - 09/17/12 06:26 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: Samoset]
Heather-ak Offline

Link? When I searched all I came up with was a game module... =)

#169480 - 09/17/12 06:54 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: Heather-ak]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Try Googleing "BernieDawg Dragontamer" it will get you some reviews. Im having a hard time finding them forsale myself which usually means the people who have them don't wish to part with them which is a good aign.

one auction I witnessed bids got up to $250.00

Which is pricey! I don't know if they regularly go for that or not!

#169482 - 09/17/12 07:29 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: Samoset]
Heather-ak Offline

Wow that does look nice - but I don't feel $250 guilty crazy

I think I'll just try to camp where no one else is within hearing distance. grin

#169483 - 09/17/12 07:51 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: Heather-ak]
hikerduane Offline

Heather/all, Gary just sells his caps on the bay of evil for the best price. He puts quite a bit of time into making them one at a time like his other caps. I know him a little and got a good price on mine, I have two of his other caps, the mini and a midi which are either for Optimus 8/8R's, 123's, Coleman 520's, 530's and my old and loud MSR stoves. The best bet for multifuel options in a MSR stove is the 600, the plain Int'l will not run long on kerosene.
Duane

#169484 - 09/17/12 08:24 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: Heather-ak]
jbylake Offline

I just found one, auction ended, price = $277.66. For nearly $300 to put a "muffler" on my Dragonfly, if I really thought they were that loud, I'd just buy another stove. Myself, and other's I know just don't think that they're that loud. Maybe, if I were camping within 3 to 5 feet from someone and got the urge for coffee at 3:00 a.m., yes, maybe...but not that loud.
J.

#169517 - 09/18/12 11:00 AM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: jbylake]
hikerduane Offline

Try the MSR FireFly, that is loud but burns hot. I'd also never pay that much for a cap.
Duane

#169526 - 09/18/12 01:21 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: hikerduane]
jbylake Offline

No need, HD. I have a new Dragonfly, tested and going on it's maiden voyage tommorrow. Was leaving sooner, but had heavy rain and thunderstom warnings where I was headed to. I don't think the Dragonfly is all that loud. Especially outdoors. I also won't be camping within 10 feet of anyone, probably more than 150 or more. I read reviews of the Dragonfly, and the "sound of a jet engine" thing came up a couple of times. Some friends of mine, some of which are absolute "elitists" and fanatical about their gear (nothing wrong with that) were with me, as we were all kicking around some different ideas, and couldn't hear or could barely hear it 10 feet away. I can't justify a $277 U.S. dollars, for something to quiet down my stove that lists for $129 (I got a great deal on mine $89 plus shipping). That would be pure lunacy. I'd just buy another stove, first, and put the extra $$ in something else I have my eyes on. As I said, in an earlier post, if I were camping within a few feet of someone else, and got the urge for coffee at 3:00 a.m., I might walk away from the area and fire it up.
Also, when you use the wind screen provided with the stove, it's even more quiet. I'm planning on using this stove year around, no need for another, except possibly as a back up on longer trips. Something like a whisper lite maybe, or even something else, but like I said, even though it looks nice and may function great, and I believe they're hand made, nearly $300 for a "muffler" for my stove? Really? No thanks.

J.

#169535 - 09/18/12 03:59 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: jbylake]
hikerduane Offline

Enjoy your trip. Quiet Stove makes a cap for only $119 if interested. If I had to pay more, I'd just bring a different stove for polite company. I'm sure I could find one that meets those specs in my garage.
Duane

#169536 - 09/18/12 04:32 PM Re: MSR Dragonfly [Re: hikerduane]
jbylake Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Enjoy your trip. Quiet Stove makes a cap for only $119 if interested. If I had to pay more, I'd just bring a different stove for polite company. I'm sure I could find one that meets those specs in my garage.
Duane

Thanks for the info Duane. Like I said, I rarely camp very close to anyone, even when traveling with a few or several friends. So no problems there. The Dragonfly will be fine.
Thanks, I will definetly enjoy this trip, been waiting for a month to go. Also will be testing and evaluating some new gear, so that'll be fun also.

Thanks again,
J.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum