Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169076 - 09/06/12 08:13 AM Lightweight tent selection
PolishTroll Offline

Hi, all. I come to you again for guidance in my quest to acquire the right gear. My girlfriend and I have been using our car-camping tent, a 6-pound, 10-ounce Alps Mountaineering Chaos 3, for the summer, our first season as backpackers. We've found that this tent works well when bringing along our two dogs, but we would like to invest in a durable, free-standing, lightweight 2-person/3-season tent for when it's just the two of us. With that out of the way, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Troll

#169079 - 09/06/12 09:53 AM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: PolishTroll]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Do you have a budget? Big Agnes make some really lightweight tent. I have the Seedhouse solo tent and it's a very nice tent. Other lightweight brands are Tarptent and Lightheart

I've never used Tarptent or Lightheart, but if I was buying a new tent today those are the two brands I would be considering.

#169081 - 09/06/12 10:03 AM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: PolishTroll]
lori Offline

I will try to break it to you gently - free standing is overrated, and not really ever true... you need to always stake down a tent lest it become a box kite.

You can shed weight by opting for the LightHeart Duo or one of the Six Moon Designs, or a two person Tarptent double wall - they are all good quality gear. When the LightHeart Lady comes home from her long hike you could even ask her to custom make your tent in the colors you like.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#169083 - 09/06/12 10:17 AM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: PolishTroll]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
First of all, there is no objectively "right" gear - there is only gear that is best for your preferences and the conditions you'll be encountering. What's right for me may not be right for you.

Having said that, and making the assumption that you're looking for a 3-season, temperate climate tent, there are a couple of options. As with most gear, you can choose two of the following: light, cheap, high-quality.

If you're looking for affordable, good quality tents, look at Kelty, Sierra Designs, and REI's house brand. They will be at the heavier end of the scale, but they'll be good quality at a reasonable price.

For a good balance of the three qualities, look at MSR and Big Agnes "regular" lines - they'll be a bit pricier, but not much, be high quality, and a bit lighter.

If you're looking for light, high quality tents, look at MSR's Carbon Reflex series or Big Agnes tents with "UL" after the name if you're interested in double-wall tents; look at Tarptent or Six Moon Designs for single-wall tents that are even lighter. You'll gulp twice at the prices, but you'll get the lightest, highest quality products in this group.

Also be prepared for the fact that, in two-person tents, one way they get lighter weights is to sacrifice interior floor space and headroom. If you find the ultralight two-person tents are too small, look at the three-person models (at which point you'll want to compare them to the 2-person Kelty, Sierra Designs, or REI tents - you may be back at similar weights for similar room, at which point cost will be the determining factor.)

One other thing to remember when you're looking at tents: make the clerk show you how to take down the floor model and set it back up. I've generally found my ultralight tents pitch more easily than the Sierra Designs tents I used to use; however, I've not looked at their more recent models. Don't underestimate ease of pitching - unless you are sure you'll never need to set it up in the dark, while it's raining. You absolutely will curse when you have two sets of poles that are two inches different in length, and you thread the wrong one into the wrong pole sleeve (by the way, look for clips instead of pole sleeves - makes setup much, much easier.)

Don't worry if you end up feeling like you fell through the looking glass - you can compare gear forever. At some point, just make a decision as to which tent "feels" best for the two of you, and go with it.

#169086 - 09/06/12 01:24 PM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: lori]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I agree with Lori - freestanding is highly overrated. There have been only two times when I was glad I had a "freestanding" tent (and it wasn't raining either time, so I didn't have to deal with a fly and vestibule that couldn't be staked out.)

The first time was when, arriving at the trailhead late at night, I had to spend the first night of the trip in a public campground that had raised, tamped-gravel tent pads that I could not force a stake into.

The second was one night when I camped on an open sandstone ledge, where there was also no way to sink a stake. (I won't say where this was; suffice it to say when I posed a theoretical question to a ranger, he smiled knowingly and said, "Sometimes it's easier to grant forgiveness than permission.")

Beyond that, I've always staked a tent down. I have seen one tent, pitched in freestanding mode, get blown into a pond by a gust of wind. (There was no gear in it to weight it down.) The entertainment value of watching the owner wade in after it was quite high.

#169089 - 09/06/12 03:10 PM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
We have a MSR Carbon Reflex 2 and love it, it's very easy to set up and well made. We also have a Big Agnes UL1, which is almost exactly the same weight as the MSR tent, and is also easy to set up and very well made. We have slept 3 in the MSR, one adult and 2 kids and 2 in the Big Agnes, 1 adult and one kid, so generally speaking these two particular models have a reasonable amount of room in them as compared to some UL models that have very limited floor space.

#169091 - 09/06/12 03:42 PM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: Cranman]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Just a comment. You mentioned durability as a criteria. It's been my experience that people who are hard on stuff tend to poke holes and be a little hard on their expensive, ultralight tents when they first get them. The materials used in the UL tents are strong and the tents are well made, but to get them light the material does tend to be thinner than the cheaper models along with other weight saving techniques such as more screen and less zipper length. Just a heads up.

Tent wise, I personally have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 and the Skyscape by Sixmoons (one-man), as well as some heavier and thrash resistant tents. Very happy with the BA UL3, semi-happy with the Skyscape.

#169093 - 09/06/12 04:29 PM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: PolishTroll]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
You might look at Black Diamond for three-season, single-wall free-standers. They could do the job if you camp where humidity or extended downpours aren't chronic issues. (And yeah, they should be staked/guyed but can be used in tight spots, such as in alpine areas with little vegetation.)

Cheers,

#169095 - 09/06/12 05:52 PM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: skcreidc]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
"but to get them light the material does tend to be thinner than the cheaper models "
the thickness of the material has nothing to do with tensile strenght nor puncture resistance unless of course it is the same material.
Manufacturers that have used or are using polyester as well as taffeta nylon and siliconised nylon will tell you that the sil version is stronger, it is also lighter and more expensive.
For example the SMD Skyscape Scout in polyester,34 oz, sells for $125.
The same tent in silnylon , the Trekker, 24 oz sells for $225.
Note that both are made in China so labour cost is not the difference.
Same for other manufacturers such as Macpac and Lightwave that have produced the same shelter with different fabrics, consistently they rated silnylon to be stronger.
Wilderness Equipment (an Aussie brand) called their First/Second Arrow in nylon (PU coated) 4 season tents, they now have the sil version as an "expedition/5 season" shelter.

On the other hand, polyester sags less when wet/cold and has higher UV resistance.
Franco

#169100 - 09/06/12 08:01 PM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: Franco]
lori Offline

Cuben Fiber, the tough stuff, is also lighter still than silnylon.

Folks who are concerned about durability, in my experience, really mean longevity. In which case one would not want a PU coated mass manufactured tent - once the PU coating peels, the tent is done. Sometimes that takes a few years and sometimes it takes ten (if you store it in a cool place and it doesn't see a lot of use, restuffing, etc). But once it happens the tent is done for. Silnylon can be retreated to be waterproof once again, on the other hand.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#169107 - 09/07/12 03:16 AM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: lori]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I have a freestanding winter tent and for that application, I like a freestanding tent, especially when setting up on snow. For 3 seasons, freestanding isn't so important as knowing how to set up whatever you have. Some tents look more like art school projects than anything else and I have no interest in those. The more panels and more parts, the more likely something will fail.

There are some UL freestanding tents. Big sky makes several models. The caveat here is that this company had major delivery problems a few years ago, so I don't know how reliable they are or if those problems have been fixed. Based on the lack of complaints, it appears so, but buyer beware. I only suggest them because their products look interesting.

I used to have one of the original SD Flashlights. I could set it up in about five minutes; there wasn't much to it and for two people, it was okay, but snug. No vestibule, which today, I would insist on in any tent I would buy.

Buying something based just on a picture is not the best way to go, but for some things, the only way you can buy them. If you can't see it in person first, at least get one you can return if you set it up and don't like it.

#169140 - 09/08/12 03:38 PM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: Glenn Roberts]
hshires Offline

Loc: Nevada City, CA
> look at Tarptent .. for single-wall tents that are even lighter.

In the interest of accuracy, only 4 of the 13 tents we offer are single wall. 3 are hybrid double wall (with optional liner) and 6 are full double wall.

-H

#169141 - 09/08/12 04:48 PM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: lori]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Just how many days of use is considered a tent with good longevity? Most of the tents I have used break in one way or another after about 100 days of use (2-3 years for me). I do a lot of camping at higer altitudes, so that may be a factor in UV exposure. I am very interested in tents that are "fixable". A gripe of mine with double wall tents is that the fly often wears out first (due to UV exposure) and you cannot just replace the fly.

The zipper is a weak point of a tent. The zipper on my Tarptent Moment broke this summer. I would be willing to sacrafice a few ounces of weight in order to have a sturdier zipper. Just about every tent I have owned, the zippers have broken. The tiny zipper do not seem to be able to be "fixed" with crimping, as much as the larger zippers are. I do think, however, that you can send the tent back to the manufacturer and have the zipper replaced. I think REI does this too.

Poles are another weak point. But at least poles are replaceable.

#169357 - 09/13/12 12:54 AM Re: Lightweight tent selection [Re: PolishTroll]
bobito9 Offline

As the variety of responses to your question show, there are many opinions. I would say first of all that I personally really prefer free-standing tents. Of course you do still have to stake them down, but they don't sag as much, which is convenient, especially for camping on places like beaches.
Myself, I have 2 tents (well 3: for sentimental reasons, I can't bring myself to get rid of my old one person Windy Pass aka N Face, which sheltered me for so many years, even though I never use it anymore) First, I have a one person Big Agnes Copper Spur. But for 2 person camping, I like my REI Quarter Dome: It is fairly cheap (especially during REI's sales), really spacious inside, pretty light for two people and even light enough that I sometimes use for my solo trips, especially if I'm expecting crappy weather (it was nice during a light snowstorm in Denali last year, for eg). Plus, I really like the fact that it has 2 roomy vestibules, very convenient with two people sharing it. You can get lighter tents, but it isn't that heavy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum