Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168933 - 09/02/12 02:00 AM Tent modifications
mimstrel Offline

I will soon be the proud owner of three and a half used tents to play with, courtesy of Tom (twistplank). I've requested 5 and will be sharing with a friend (he's paying for the other 1.5 tents). Each of us intends to refurb one tent as a "front country" tent, and that leaves us three to modify into smaller, lighter options.

I have been informed that the tents are 4-person pyramidal "Pingora" tents from Bridge Outdoors (personally I don't think they'd fit more than three people; I like some personal space, thanks). They include an inner tent that is basically a tub with mosquito netting, and an outer rain fly. I'd like to get at least one one-person tent and one two-person tent out of my portion of the three "modify" tents. I'm not sure if my friend is intending on a one-person or a two-person. Ideally, we could get two one-person tents and two two-person tents, but I'm not counting on it.

I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine, but as I'm searching for ideas, I come up a little bit overwhelmed. And of course, most often people are starting entirely from scratch rather than cutting down an existing structure.

I'd like some input on a couple of things from those older and more experienced than Mike and I. Obviously we have the option of trying a couple of options, but I'd like some feedback anyway.

1) I could either modify both the internal mesh tent and the rain fly, leaving me with a modular system that would allow either rain protection or bug protection, or both, as needed. OR, I could cut out most of the noseeum netting and sew the remainder directly to the rain fly. This cuts out a little bit of weight but means that if we want to sleep under the stars, we're at the mercy of the bugs. Not that we haven't done that before... but there's some appeal to having the option.

2) With regards to shape - I think I know what I want for my one-person - sort of halfway between an A-frame and a bivy. I can cut it down quite a bit because I'm relatively short. But for the two-man tent(s), I'm concerned that I may be limited by the materials, given that I'm not starting with a flat sheet of material: I'm starting with a tent. If anyone has experience with this sort of thing, I'd appreciate some input... or if anyone knows of an online resource showing a modification such as I'm intending, that would be great as well. I'm still looking.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions once I have materials in hand, but thought I'd get a head start. Thanks!

#169003 - 09/04/12 07:32 PM Re: Tent modifications [Re: mimstrel]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
First, if you go to the backpacking.net home page, on the left hand side there is a link for "make your own gear" section that has some plans on making your own tent.

I have used two of the same tents you are getting from Tom. I agree, three adults max and really two if you want to have good room for gear inside.

If you are going to make custom tents I think your best bet will be to break down the tent body and rain fly into flat sheets and build from there. Since the existing tent shape uses all flat panels you should get plenty of material to work with.

You may find, like I did, that among the group of tents you get there are some that look almost new, and some that look about ready for the scrap pile. So far I have been happy to use the newer ones as is for family car camping.

#169356 - 09/13/12 12:38 AM Re: Tent modifications [Re: mimstrel]
mimstrel Offline

Got my tents today!! Two of the five look like they've never seen the outdoors, they're seriously beautiful. Which made it easy to pick the two I'm not going to cut up.
Anyway, I started in on my one-person tent, and I thought I'd put on here what I did in case anybody is doing a similar project in the future.

I quickly discovered that there isn't a space in my apartment big enough to lay out the full tent flat, so the first thing I did was cut it in half (4' wide, leaving a little extra for seams and to fold up the side of the "tub" on the cut-off side) and cut off the top of the "pyramid" at 3.5'. Then I laid it out and figured out how much narrower I wanted it to get towards the feet. I sleep with one leg bent 90 degrees at hip and knee, which means I require a little bit more width at the hips than I honestly take up. So I laid down and measured, added a couple of inches so I'm not hitting the sides of the tent, and determined that I really ought to plan on needing 30 inches of width at the hips. So I chopped off the excess at that point. I don't require the extra space if I'm just hanging out reading a book or whatnot, so this is plenty of room This gives me a lopsided quadrilateral base for my tent.

Next, I evened up the smaller triangle at the "foot" end of the tent. It will finish at 2' tall, which is probably taller than really necessary, but that's how the angles came out. I left the original seam intact on the front corner and cut the other side to make it an equilateral triangle.

The harder one is the "head" end triangle. This is where the entrance to the tent is. I'm using the original zipper, which in the original tent was vertical. I used a little trigonometry and figured up that I needed the sides of the triangle to be about 3.5 feet long to give me the height I want. Notice that my first step was to cut off the top of the pyramid at 3.5'. This is where I got that number. So the next step was to cut the front corner seam and the zipper free of the rest of the netting on this triangle, and bring them together at the center point (creating a second equilateral triangle). I marked where they came together and cut off the extra netting (leaving a seam allowance as always. Then I sewed the zipper and the other seam back to this triangle with a "flat french seam" (I think this is the right term; it's a French seam that's then been sewn flat instead of just being ironed. This makes my tent tall enough at the "head" end that if I sit up very straight, I will hit my head on the ceiling.

Next, I cut a straight line from the top of the "head" triangle to the top of the "foot" triangle, along the netting that will make up the "front" of my tent.

That's as far as I've gotten at this moment, my next step is to cut pieces from the fly to form the rainproof portions of the tent.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum