Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168683 - 08/22/12 09:55 PM GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker?
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Anybody try this widget: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___17467
????

I can live w/o my coffee, but I'm going to be traveling with those who can't. I want to be able to just boil water, and have everyone make what they want, rather than dedicating a pot to morning coffee.

Steadman

#168689 - 08/23/12 01:43 AM Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? [Re: Steadman]
lori Offline

A bunch of Via packets or the instant coffee from Trader Joes does it fine for me. Both much better than the Tasters choice instant or the (shudder) Folgers coffee bags.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#168692 - 08/23/12 08:52 AM Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? [Re: Steadman]
Weston79 Offline

I second the Starbucks Via coffee. It's not cheap, but it's small and light. You also don't have to pack any coffee grounds in or out!! It also tastes great.

I just bought enough for a week long trip for two, 48 cups (we like our coffee), and it fit into a small ziploc freezer bag.

#168819 - 08/28/12 03:27 PM Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? [Re: Weston79]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
One note on the Starbucks Via...omg it's sooo strong! I am a coffee drinker/snob and love a good cup, but there's no way I can drink via full strength. I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with either cocoa or cappucinno mix. On the flip side, even though it's expensive, for me I get 2 cups from each packet!

#169097 - 09/06/12 06:29 PM Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? [Re: Steadman]
kenp Offline

I have one and used it up until Starbucks came out with the Via. The Via is decent and so much easier to deal with that I haven't used the drip device since.

It did work well though, when in use. My only complaint was that in cold weather by the time you had a full cup of coffee it tended to have cooled down significantly and you needed to heat it up again. That was another reason to move to the via that I could just toss in the mug and put the cap on before it cooled off.

#169514 - 09/18/12 09:32 AM Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? [Re: Steadman]
Bass Offline

For fresh brewed coffee I package coffee grounds in a tea bag which you can find in the bulk loose tea sites Use the large bags as if you like you coffee stronger you need more grounds. Experiment with how strong you like the coffee. Coffee steeps very quickly. Also I believe many of the coffee companies offer the single serving bags also for those who do not want to make their own bags. Personaly I dislike freeze dried coffee. You can also get or make decaf coffee to use.

#170512 - 10/13/12 07:11 PM Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? [Re: Bass]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
When your stash of tea bags runs out, try checking the party section of your local "dollar store" for organza bags. I found a package of 5/$1.00 in the wedding favor section. Washed before use, one works great for a "coffee bag," using one's coffee of choice. They don't hold water for long, so dump the grounds, rinse and let it dry as you hike.

At 5/$1.00, they are cheap enough to have one for coffee and another for tea or a bag for each member of a group.

CamperMom

#170649 - 10/16/12 12:32 PM Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By lori
A bunch of Via packets or the instant coffee from Trader Joes does it fine for me. Both much better than the Tasters choice instant or the (shudder) Folgers coffee bags.

I think the Taster's Choice "French Roast" is pretty good. I liked it better than the Via Columbian I tried. In fact, I didn't like the Via at all, and at over 5 times the price of Taster's Choice I'll never buy Via again.

I don't believe for a second that Starbucks is manufacturing their own instant coffee anyway. I highly suspect that Via is made for Starbucks by Nestle', and all they really do is add some very burnt bean dust to it.

Neither of them is as good as fresh ground beans, and that drip maker does look interesting. The biggest problem with those that I've tested is that they can be very slow. When it's 30º or less in the morning you end up waiting for a long time to get a cold cup of coffee.

From the reviews it looks like a finer grind might work best, or putting the filter into your cup letting the grounds steep a bit and then lifting it up and letting it drain.

$10 bucks seems a bit steep though. There's just not enough to it to justify that unless that filter is made out of some kind of super duper NASA coffee filtering material, or it has an authentic copy of a "Bear Grylss" signature on it.

"You want to go where?"

#172049 - 11/17/12 05:14 PM Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? [Re: Cranman]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Cranman, if the Via is too strong, what blend are you drinking?
Try the Blonde, very mild blend. They call their (medium roast) "Verona", then next comes bold/dark roast/(they vary beans from time to time)it's usually Italian Roast, or an African blend. Again, if you like a mild roast, and like Starbucks, try the 'blonde'.

J.

Edited by jbylake (11/17/12 08:07 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum