Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168599 - 08/20/12 04:56 PM Suggestions for white gas stove and pot lifter?
jdeutsch Offline

This past weekend some lowlife stole my MSR Dragonfly stove. They ignored the fuel bottle right next to it. They also went into my tent and took an old, torn pair of shorts... ignoring the Western Mountaineering sleeping bag and Big Agnes insulated air core pad. Thieves are idiots.

So I need a new stove. I have an alcohol stove for when I'm going ultralight, but I prefer white gas for expeditions and cold weather trips and car camping. The Dragonfly was a great stove... very reliable and simmered like a champ. Two drawbacks were the weight and loud roar at full throttle.

I'm thinking about getting a Simmerlite to replace the Dragonfly. I've cooked with one about 20 nights, so I'm familiar with them. They are quiet and relatively light and use fuel bottles I already own. They don't simmer very well, but better than a Whisperlite.

What do you all think? Other options to consider? I'm open to canister stoves, but it seems like I'll spend hundreds of dollars on canisters over the life of a stove. A one month trip with a white gas stove costs about $5 for fuel.

And one last thing. I need a pot lifter too. It was in the stolen stove bag. Should I just go with the standard MSR pot lifter? Get some titanium variant? Attempt to not spill my pasta on the ground while using a bandanna or mittens? Replace my ancient pots and get the kind that have folding handles built in? I need a solution that can reliably lift a full 2L pot.

Thanks very much for all your thoughts!

#168602 - 08/20/12 06:03 PM Re: Suggestions for white gas stove and pot lifter? [Re: jdeutsch]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
I have an MSR pot lifter that I have no use for. PM your address and it will be on its way later this week.

#168603 - 08/20/12 06:47 PM Re: Suggestions for white gas stove and pot lifter? [Re: jdeutsch]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Sorry to hear about your loss. If you had the funds to pick up a DragonTamer cap for a Dragonfly, you'd have something. I know the guy who sells them on the bay of evil, but they normally go for more than the stove. I have one on my DF, so quiet and will simmer for a long time unattended closely. I'd have to think a little on a replacement stove. I have a used Brunton Nova and a pre-Nova stove the Optimus 11 Explorer with a regulated silent burner, unfortunately they are pretty rare and I got lucky to pick one up for my collection. I know many who have the setup for the Trangia stoves and associated windscreens/pot supports. That may be something to look at, although a bit bulky with all the windscreens then needing pots on top of that. I'm guessing you have a large pot for melting snow or for cooking for a group. I collect the older stoves, so I may not be much help with newer stoves, the DragonFly from 99 and my Nova being my newest models.
Duane

#168605 - 08/20/12 07:57 PM Re: Suggestions for white gas stove and pot lifter? [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Potlifter--you can buy a generic one or use a pair of pliers or a Leatherman with pliers.

Bummer about the theft, but you should be thankful he doesn't know about Western Mountaineering!

#168612 - 08/20/12 09:47 PM Re: Suggestions for white gas stove and pot lifter? [Re: OregonMouse]
jdeutsch Offline

Thanks to PerryMK at least I'm set for a potlifter. General purpose pliers tend to be lots heavier than special use pot lifters, and I've seen pliers bend aluminum pot rims.

Duane, do you recommend just keeping my eyes open for a specific older stove? I could make do with an old whisperlite that I have lying around until then. My assumption was that modern stoves like the simmerlite would be lighter than older stoves since that has been the trend with most gear. But if it isn't the case, I'm willing to wait for a good quality used stove.

Thanks All!

#168629 - 08/21/12 08:55 AM Re: Suggestions for white gas stove and pot lifter? [Re: jdeutsch]
hikerduane Offline

You mentioned spending more money for canisters than for gas, so I was guessing you did not want to use canisters. There are some very high powered Coleman isobutane type stoves that are discontinued. I never would have thought of them until I started collecting stoves. For small canister stoves I was given a non-working F1 Exponent, has more btu's than other brands of its type, then I also picked up a new F1 Exponent Power Boost stove that blows that one out of the water, it has around 23,900 btu's if I recall correctly. When I use the regular F1, I have to get my coffee stuff ready before I put the water on to heat up it is that fast. Off to clock in for work now. Later.
Duane

#168632 - 08/21/12 11:38 AM Re: Suggestions for white gas stove and pot lifter? [Re: hikerduane]
jdeutsch Offline

Oh yeah, I do want to avoid canister stoves. Just don't know by name which models are white gas, which are canister, which are alcohol, etc.

#168634 - 08/21/12 01:22 PM Re: Suggestions for white gas stove and pot lifter? [Re: jdeutsch]
hikerduane Offline

My DF is my newest MSR stove with the addition of a Superfly and a regular vintage WL, I have around 20 MSR stoves in my stove collection, mostly older models. Maybe someone else will come along with a suggestion, I have a lot of old kerosene burners too. Some of the newer stoves that do good have roarer burners, but some will simmer, although silent burners would simmer better. On my lunch break, so short of suggestions other than many like the small, super light canister stoves that have come out. Check out the Omnifuel and some like that one. I know I read about someones Primus and it was too loud and they were selling it. If you use the Simmerlite, try low pressure in the fuel bottle if you are not aware of that technique to simmer. On a group trip last winter with a new bunch of folks I went with, they used all Simmerlites, I had my DF to melt snow. For the cooking/melting they did, the Simmerlites were fine.
Duane

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum