Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167341 - 06/27/12 04:32 PM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: Dok]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm on season 2 with the Sawyer filters and I'll recommend 1. using the bleach solution and drying the cartridge as best you can before storing it for the winter and 2. backflushing and testing flow at the season's start.

I took the gravity system on a hike in May and it took a day to get the flow above a trickle, when normal is nearly a liter a minute. I'd done everything except bleach treatment before storing and clearly it had clogged with bacteria &/or mold (no smell, so I'm guessing bacteria).

I'd also do the bleach treatment after any trip filtering obviously stagnant water.

FWIW the backflush faucet adapter works much better than the syringe that ships with the Squeeze. I can't get that to stay on.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Dok
Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
Just backwash the filter with a clean water with the syringe it came with. No bleach.

Why no bleach? and will the clean water take care of any bacterial growth?

#167345 - 06/27/12 04:57 PM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: Rick_D]
Dok Offline

well im gonna pick up some bleach and give it a good cleaning. and clean and dry it after every use from now on. Thanx for all the advice.

#167374 - 06/28/12 11:36 AM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: Dok]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
According to the instructions, the capful of bleach was for the plastic bags. The clean water through the filter by backflushing is just design to push dirt out. When you use it in normal sense, all the crap gets stop by a filter. When you backflush it, it goes backwards and out. Least that way I interpret it. I'm just an accountant, my knowledge on bacteria and all is limited. laugh I'm just using the instructions on the plastic bags the filter came with. I didn't use a single bleach for my previous filter. (Katadyn) I would take it a apart and use the scrubber it came with to scrub off excess crap that the filter has caught.

Edit: I forgot to clarify, if you backflush the filter after each use with, I think you will discourage any bacteria growth..Again, I'm just an accountant. I also figure even if there is bacteria in the filter the filter still suppose to stop it from getting in your drinking water.

Edited by ETSU Pride (06/28/12 11:41 AM)

#167378 - 06/28/12 01:08 PM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: ETSU Pride]
Dok Offline

I read that when i got home last night. So i cleaned the bags and back flushed the heck put of the filter as i was a little leary in bleaching it. I than filtered some tap water and it had no after taste or anything. But im hitting some trails tomorrow and will put it to the test then.

#167440 - 07/02/12 08:05 AM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: ETSU Pride]
Dok Offline

after a good cleaning i took it out and filtered some good ole creek water. Tasted great and no problems. Thanx for all the advice.

#167663 - 07/05/12 04:21 PM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: Glenn]
Larry S Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By Glenn
Filling can be a pain if you don't have deep water or falling water to fill it; shallow running water usually only fills it halfway. But, with a total savings of over half a pound, I'm willing to half-fill the Dirty bag twice to get a full liter. (If I need to carry water, I can always use my pot to finish filling the 2-liter Dirty bag all the way.)

Instead of filling the container directly, I use a ziploc bag. I put my filter inside a quart size ziploc for storage. I fill up the ziploc from the stream, then pour that into the container. The ziploc fills instantly, even from a shallow water source.

#167664 - 07/05/12 04:33 PM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: Larry S]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Doh! Why didn't I think of that? I carry mine in a ziploc, too - and always stuck the ziploc in my pocket.

(The only downside I can think of is possible contamination of the outlet when you put it back into the wet ziploc - but the plastic cap over the push-pull cap might be enough to prevent that.)

#167678 - 07/06/12 12:33 PM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: ETSU Pride]
Dok Offline

I went and bought one of those cheap gas syphoning tools that you just hand pump. They are like a dollar at the dollar store or a couple of bucks at AutoZone. They weigh almost nothing, haven’t actually weighed it, but that fills the bag up quite quickly.

I also made a cap for the fill side of the filter using an old 2 liter cap and the end of the 2 liter. That’s so no contaminated water leaks out when im just carrying it around. As i keep it in a zip lock baggie also.

Ill have to try the baggies as the scoop method.

Edited by Dok (07/06/12 12:41 PM)

#167682 - 07/06/12 01:41 PM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: Dok]
frediver Offline

A piece of tubing is always handy but what is wrong with excavating a small depression so you can get more of your bottle in the water or just use a small cup? Heck I bet a half trimmed soda/beer can would make a nice fill device and weigh ZIP.

#167683 - 07/06/12 01:48 PM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: frediver]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Digging works as Long as the creek bottom isn't a single shelf of limestone, with about 2inches of water flowing over it - which is a not-uncommon situation where I hike.

#167697 - 07/07/12 08:36 AM Re: Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter [Re: frediver]
Dok Offline

From my use, it appears the bag doesnt flush the air out well enough as the water enters, thus creating a barrier. Have to try the hole idea so you can get the air out of the bag.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum