Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166569 - 06/07/12 01:40 PM yet another packing list
kievalina Offline

Loc: metro detroit, mi
(Sorry!)

This is for 6 days in Montana in early/mid August. Bear country, elevations 5 to 10k feet.

Pack
Foam sleeping pad
headlamp
trekking poles
water filter
sleeping bag
gps
rain pants
rain jacket
socks
smartwool pants
smartwool top
down jacket or vest
sunhat
wool/warm gloves
part of a tent (shared)
meals (dehydrated pouch type)
water (32 oz to carry?)
second sleeping pad- open cell foam
underwear/bra
sunscreen- tube and stick
toothbrush
toothpaste
lunette cup (coolest thing ever, for the ladies; trust me, you need one!)
camp soap
moleskin
aspirin
advil
bug spray
camp towel
bear spray
emergency whistle
FUD
ipod
smell proof bear sacks
compression sack(s)
zip off pants
one sleeveless shirt
water/lake shoes for wet crossings
sunglasses w/ glasses strap
hairties
bandana
suture kit
boots
digital camera w/ batteries and memory card
trash bag or rain cover
polar fleece sweatshirt
nylon running shorts
polar fleece pants
long sleeve zip front mid weight shirt
50 foot cord
compression straps for foam sleeping pad
wooden clothespins or carabiners for hanging laundry
Trowel
Pocket Knife/Multitool
Spoon
1 canister of Fuel
Stove
toilet paper
Kevlar Bear Bag
Lipbalm with SPF
Comb
Aloe
Calamine Lotion (Burns, Bug bites, poison ivy)
Hand Sanitizer
Benedryl
GORP: snickers bars, luna/cliff, raisins, nuts
alcohol wipes
wallet
phone and charger
duct tape
wool/warm hat
iodine tabs as water treatment back-up option

It's sort of in random order. Oops. Some of the stuff is shared, so I won't be carrying everything (ex: the kevlar bag). The plan is to try to keep my pack weight down as much as possible as I'm the lightest hiker, the only girl, one of two who hasn't done this trial yet and one of two who doesn't live at or train at elevation. So, others will take much of the group-shared stuff in their packs so I can keep my weight down. At least, that's the plan. The camera, ipod and gps fall into my "toys" category. The ipod is an original shuffle, smaller than a cigarette lighter and about the weight of a ballpoint pen. The camera is palm sized and less than half a pound. The phone and charger and wallet I realize I can't use, but I need those things on the trips out and back so unfortunately I have to bring them with me even though they're just dead weight. Luckily, it won't add much.

Thoughts? It sure seems like a lot of crap. :-p Most of it is small, I guess, but even small stuff has to add up eventually. I don't have everything yet, but have a lot of the bigger, heavier stuff and with that I'm at about 14 pounds (including the weight of the pack itself, but not counting my boots). I weigh 120 lbs, so I want to keep it at no more than 30 pounds, less in a perfect world.

(ETA: Some stuff is not listed because someone else has it covered. For example, maps.

Edited by kievalina (06/07/12 01:42 PM)

#166574 - 06/07/12 02:24 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: kievalina]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Does anyone in your group know how to use the suture kit? I know no one in my group does and I stopped carrying it.

Seems like a lot of clothing - personally my clothing takes up a ton of space (fairly light just doesn't compress well.) - four pairs of pants (including the shorts.)

Why both the foam sleeping pad and a second sleeping pad?

I personally wouldn't use iodine as my backup - there are some other pills (can't remember their name off hand - two pills) I have instead.

smile YMMV!

#166583 - 06/07/12 04:55 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: kievalina]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
First of all, please ditch those iodine tabs! They don't kill all the nasties (especially cryptosporidium) and they can cause severe reactions. I'm one of those who had a severe reaction (deep-seated rash which itched horribly for weeks and left permanent scars), and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! Instead, pick up some chlorine dioxide tabs (Katadyn MicroPur or AquaMira tablets). They are a lot safer and zap more of the nasties. CDC on backcountry water disinfection

OK, now for the rest:
First of all, your list would be much easier to evaluate if it were organized into systems. Check out the gear lists on the home page of this site for how to organize your list. For starters, separate items worn or carried (such as what you wear, anything in your pockets and trekking poles) from the contents of your pack. Then organize into clothing carried, shelter/sleeping, pack, cooking/water, navigation, toilet articles, first aid/repair and the inevitable "other." Mark group items as such. Adding weights of each individual item would be a good idea; we may be able to suggest lighter alternatives.

As far as I can tell, you've done really well except for a few redundant items which you should omit or at least seriously question--here's a list of those:

Socks--how many pair? I wear one, carry one. Be sure they are wool or synthetic. You may want a third warm pair for sleeping socks (keep those with your sleeping bag). (I use down booties, my big luxury item.)

Undies--panties, wear one, carry one (this for us females). Bra, you need only one. Be sure they are quick-drying! Leave other extra clothing in the car for your trip home.

Second sleeping pad? Why? Seems unnecessary. Open cell foam (unless with a waterproof cover) soaks up water like a sponge! If you need more thickness, bring an inflatable or self-inflating pad instead of the foam.

Rather than a GPS, I'd take a map and compass (learn how to use them if you don't already). The GPS is an electronic gizmo that can malfunction or run out of batteries. If one of your party has a GPS, that should be more than sufficient. You really should have a map anyway; ask the map carrier in the party to photocopy the relevant portions of the map for each of the participants (carry in plastic bag)--this in case you get separated from the party.

Sunscreen--take only the amount you need for the trip in a small dropper bottle. 0.5 oz. instead of a 4 oz bottle!

Toothpaste--try tooth powder or baking soda (the latter is multiple use!) Again, take only the amount needed for the trip.

Bug spray--again, only take the amount needed in a small dropper bottle. Those spray cans are heavy! DEET tends to dissolve synthetic fabrics, too. Consider spraying your shirt and pants with permethrin before you go. That will keep the bugs from biting through your shirt and pants. Use repellent only on your skin. (Be sure to follow the precautions on the label!) What the US military uses, including civilian equivalents

Sleeveless shirt--the sun at high altitude is fierce and will overcome most sunscreens. You're also leaving your arms free for the mosquitoes and horseflies to munch. Take a long sleeve shirt instead. You'll need less sunscreen and less bug repellent.

Suture kit--are you a medical professional? Otherwise (per my son-in-law who is both an ER physician and a backpacker) you have no business using this! If you use it, the first thing the ER physician will do is to remove the stitches and scold you for using it. Take half a dozen butterfly bandages instead. Both my SIL and my wilderness first aid course taught me that it's better to leave the wound open (cover with gauze pad coated with a very thin layer of antibiotic ointment) so you can spot infection before it becomes serious.

Polar fleece pants--you already have 3 layers: zip-off pants, rain pants, Smartwool base layer bottoms; that should be more than sufficient to keep you warm. if you really want the fleece pants (they're heavy!), leave the base layer at home; you don't need both. I'd pick the lighter option.

Polar fleece sweatshirt--You already have: down jacket, Smartwool base layer top, long sleeve zip front midweight shirt, hiking shirt and rain jacket. The idea is to take just enough clothing so that you stay warm in the worst conditions you can expect on the trip while wearing everything at the same time. It might get down to 15*F, but it's certainly not going to be 20*F below zero! I'm a really cold person, and I definitely would ditch either the down jacket or the sweatshirt. Since the sweatshirt is heavier and the down is warmer, I'd ditch the sweatshirt. In the extremely unlikely event that it should get below zero, you still have your sleeping bag! If your list were organized as suggested above, this overkill would have jumped right out at you, a good reason for the suggested organization!

Clothespins--I never have taken any with me. I suggest a few large safety pins, which can have other uses.

Hand sanitizer/soap--you don't need both. Take only one, again decanted into a smaller bottle so you take only the amount you need. If you take soap, be sure to use/dump it at least 200 feet from any water sources!

Wallet--keep it as light as possible. I use a ziplock sandwich bag, leave the change home (or spend it on the way), take only my drivers license, auto insurance card, health insurance card, one debit card, one credit card and a few bills. I use an extra stuff sack as a purse and leave it in the car (with nothing in it). If you don't want to go that spartan, at least get one of those really lightweight nylon wallets.

Phone--Keep it turned off as much as possible and use it in airplane mode when it's on, or it will run down the battery trying (unsuccessfully) to find reception. You may get reception on top of ridges where you can see nearby inhabited valleys. If you have one of those new fancy do-everything types (such as an iPhone), you can get a gps application for it (another reason to leave the gps at home). Leave the phone charger hidden in the car; by itself it's of no value and replaceable and it's not useable on the trail.

Stove--are you cooking as a group? If so, not everybody needs one--two at most for the whole party. The same is true of the water filter.

Calamine lotion: No poison ivy where you're going! Baking soda made into a paste is great for bug bites. Burns are best left dry under gauze.

Knife--I hope it's a small one! My Leatherman Micra weighs 2 oz. Don't omit, but don't bring a big heavy one.

Rain cover--useless at keeping your pack contents dry. Use a pack liner. Garbage bags are too fragile. Go to the hardware store, get Glad or Hefty 2-mil trash compactor bags, and take one to line your pack. Make sure they aren't scented (nearly all the supermarket brand bags are scented). Check the bag daily and patch with duct tape if you find any holes. he mylar turkey roasting bags are great, too. Just don't squish them too hard (such as sitting on them) or they'll pop.

Trowel--those plastic trowels are completely useless; they won't penetrate roots or hard ground. I'd suggest a tent stake (sand/snow stake, 1 oz.) or even your trekking pole tips.

OK, now for stuff you may need to add, remembering that it's pretty hard to spot the omissions in your list as it is now, so I have undoubtedly missed something:

Cooking pot--if cooking separately, you at least need a pot in which to boil water (which will double as your cup and bowl). If cooking as a group, not needed as long as someone else is bringing a pot big enough for the group. If it's group cooking, you need something to eat and drink out of (cup and bowl)--consider the plastic Ziplock or Glad bowls.

Water container--get Platypus or Evernew which are a lot lighter and more compact (they roll up when not in use). Or rinse out a couple of 1-liter soda bottles (even if you dump the soda, a lot cheaper). How much water you need to carry depends on how frequent water sources are along the way. If they are frequent, 1 liter at a time is fine. If you're away from water most of the day, 2 liters or possibly 3 (hot day and no water sources at all). If you've already bought Nalgene bottles, ditch them; they are more than twice the weight of the above alternatives. IMHO, 3 liters carrying capacity is a good idea.

First aid--what I use the most are bandaids (didn't see any listed) and a tiny package of antibiotic ointment (didn't see that either). For blisters, "Second Skin" is great. Is anyone bringing a group first aid kit? If so, limit yours to these, a few gauze pads, maybe an Ace bandage for sprains, plus medications you list (small quantities, not the whole package).

Extra plastic bags (mostly sandwich bags) to pack out your TP and sanitary supplies (remember that being at higher altitude can throw off your cycle). You'll probably want to double bag--put the TP in a sandwich bag which you'll cumulate in a couple of quart plastic bags. Note that all garbage must go in the Ursack (Kevlar bag).

Remember that, in addition to food and garbage, stuff like bug spray, sunscreen, lip balm, lotions, hand sanitizer or soap must be stored in the Ursack at night. Another good reason for taking very small quantities. Also, double check your pack and pockets for leftover snacks before the Ursack is prepared for the night. If you spill any food on your clothing, that piece needs to go into the Ursack, too, until you can rinse it out thoroughly.

Rain mitts--with trekking poles, it's hard to keep your hands dry if it's pouring rain and cold enough to wear your gloves. A pair of plastic bags will do the job.

Repairs--with duct tape, wind several feet around a trekking pole or a bottle. Take a needle (also useful for removing slivers)--one with a big enough eye that you can use your dental floss (didn't see that either!) as thread.

Anti-diarrheal pills (such as Lotromin)--half a dozen. Should you get diarrhea (remember that you're far more likely to get it from you or your party not washing hands than from the water), you need something to slow or stop the process temporarily while you're hiking out!

Fire starting kit--matches (the waterproof/windproof matches sold by REI are marvelous) and/or small lighter; fire starter. This is one of the "Ten" Essentials. . You appear to have all the others!

If FUD means what I think it does (fear, uncertainty, doubt), leave that at home, too--it's heavier than anything else in your list! You are going to have a wonderful time out there in God's country!

Please take the time to organize your list by systems as suggested above, and come back! Let's see if we can get your total pack weight (not including what you'll be wearing, but including what you'll carry of shared gear) down to 25 lbs. at most!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/07/12 05:16 PM)

#166586 - 06/07/12 05:50 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm not going to try to critique the list since I have no experience in the locale or conditions you'll be in.

However, I agree - leave the clothespins behind. Instead, take that 50-foot cord (which, I assume, you were planning to use as a clothesline with those pins), fold it in half, and tie one doubled end to a tree. Then begin to twist the two cords; when you're done, tie the other end to a tree. Push whatever you're hanging up through the little twist-loops you've made - they'll hold it just as well as the clothespins would.

#166590 - 06/07/12 06:12 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: Glenn]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I think OM did a masterful (mistressful?) job of summarizing the whole thing.

As a group, you only need ONE stove, one trowel, etc. And on top of that, look for ways to reduce the items here: small tub of toothpaste (or powder, which is lighter) tiny light, only enough TP for the trip, etc.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#166592 - 06/07/12 06:29 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: balzaccom]
lori Offline

What you also need as a group is a plan. What will you do if someone gets hurt and unable to hike? What will you do if someone gets separated?

I cannot tell you how many times I have come across someone out there looking for a lost member of the group. This is very, very important, especially if you are shariing gear. On all my group trips where there are folks coming with us for the first time, we expect everyone to pack as if going solo. There is nothingmore frustrating than telling people "you MUST have a bear can" and two people show up without one. And if someone proves to be much slower and just decides to stay two miles back due to a bum knee, and you have half the tent wiothout poles in the rain?

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#166599 - 06/07/12 09:50 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: Heather-ak]
kievalina Offline

[quote=Heather-ak]Does anyone in your group know how to use the suture kit? I know no one in my group does and I stopped carrying it.

I'm going with a surgical tech and a nurse. ;-) I'm hoping that nothing bad happens, but I think if it does, I'm in pretty good hands! (Which is one less thing for me to worry about.)

#166600 - 06/07/12 10:25 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: kievalina]
kievalina Offline

Thanks everybody.

Ok, I hated the idea of the iodine tabs, so I think I will look for a better back-up system in case of catastrophic water filter failure!!!! (I don't trust them, either. I will look into what you guys suggested.)

Oregon, you were thorough. Thank you!

I have a spreadsheet going with a "category" for everything (food, hygiene, first aid, etc.), then whether or not it's a shared item, then how much it weighs. still working on getting all the weights of everything in there. The spreadsheet was just kind of a pain to get in here, that's all.

I've got 2 pair of wool hiking socks.

The deal with the pad thing... my dad got me a foam one, but it's not comfy by itself. frown It was really nice of him to get it for me, so I was planning to take it and then put another pad on top of it.

The GPS is a toy I got for Xmas from my inlaws. I hope to load a few geocaches on it. It's something I enjoy doing. Other members of the group are going to have a map.

Good tip on the baking soda. I thought about doing that... Think I will.

I'm gonna need a lot of sunscreen. I'm a red head. Thinking about the sun gives me a sunburn. :-p

I'm thinking of using lemon ecolyptus or some other such thing. I can't remember exactly what it was now. I need to re-check that one. Anyone have experience with that?

I'd be sad to leave the sleeveless shirt behind. I'm afraid of burning, but also of overheating. :-/

Ok, on the suture thing... I'll have to ask my dad and step bro (nurse and surgical tech, respectively) what they think. I think a bandage sounds far less scary to this needle phobe, anyway!

Thanks for the tips on the clothes. I Was really torn on that. It felt like too much, but it's hard when the temps could do anything in the mountains. I am picturing the possibility of hiking in snow... or 80 degree weather.

Thanks again on the hand san/soap thing. Another thing I wasn't so sure about-- thanks for confirming!

Wallet: I'm planning to take ID, health card and a credit card so I can get a hotel room for the night before and the night after, and lunch/dinner those days and that should be it.

I already know my phone won't work anywhere on the trail. (I've been warned.) I'd just leave it in the car, but we're being dropped off and picked up, so I won't have my car to leave it in. Otherwise I definitely would. (My phone is a dinosaur. I don't even have texting on it, let alone a data plan or GPS.)

The water filter I bought because last year they boiled water and then used tabs when fuel got scarcer. I don't want to have to resort to tabs (don't trust 'em too much!) and I know they said they won't attempt to boil water again, so I decided to get my own water filter.

We're sharing a stove. We're just each carrying a canister of fuel for it.

I'm hoping to borrow a knife from my dad, if I even take one. I was unsure on that one. Like I told my stepbrother... unless we get into a knifefight with a rival hiking group, do we really ALL need knives?!

I'll leave the calamine lotion at home.

Good tip on the trash bags. Thanks.

The trowel is a shared item, so I've no idea what kind it is (they've got one I was going to borrow), but if it breaks I'll remember to use my trekking pole. :-)

Cooking pot... I assumed my dad had one. I'll have to ask. We're just going to be boiling water to add to those dehydrated pouches... and my dad at least requires coffee. I do not. I don't do coffee, so I'm all set. I planned to just bring a 32 oz. water bottle to use for the trip. Oh, yeah. Question on the water bottle for everyone:
Do you guys clean out your water bottles during a backpacking trip? I don't want to get sick drinking my own gross, but I don't want to waste filtered water to clean my bottle if it doesn't need it. Besides, I'm not sure how I'd do that easily on the trail. Can I use the same bottle for 6 days and not end up sick from my own germs??

Water will be everywhere, as far as I can tell. There are over 100 lakes along the trail. I know we'll have access to water each night, as the campsites are all somewhat near lakes.

I'm almost positive someone is bringing a first aid kit. I will make sure, but I trust these guys not to be idiots. :-p (Always a good thing.)

Yeah, I meant to put band aids on there. Def. will add that one.

Plastic bags will go on the list, thanks.

I've got good teeth so I usually don't bother flossing. (Hope there are no dentists on the board. I just made them all hate me.)

Anti-diarheals will go, too. Thanks.

I'll check on the matches. Even if others are carrying some, should I have some, too? There will be wet crossings, so maybe better safe than sorry??

FUD is female urination device. (Don't ask me where I heard that term. I can't remember.) I'm going with a bunch of guys, and I saw the freshette and thought it might be easier. Esp. since we'll be above treeline a lot and from the pics it didn't look like there would always be a private spot to pee. I don't want that to hold me back from drinking enough water, so this was a little indulgence on my part, I guess.

Thanks again, guys!

#166603 - 06/07/12 11:35 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: kievalina]

IMHO, each person on the trip should have their own "Ten" Essentials for the reason that Lori stated above. That includes a map and compass.

Re the floss--actually, the dentists will be gleefully rubbing their hands together in anticipation of the expensive restorative dentistry or gum disease treatment you'll need 10-15 years down the road! (Sorry if I'm offending any dentists here.)

It is really hard to get a gear spreadsheet posted in most forums, which is why I haven't done so. I tried once (on another forum), converting the spreadsheet to a text file first, but the results were almost unintelligible!

If you have the typical redhead complexion, you definitely need long sleeves, long pants and a really wide-brimmed hat. Maybe gloves (although they are hot!) or some kind of sunshade on the backs of your hands, too. Just sunscreen won't do the job at high altitude. Of course you'll still need sunscreen on your lower face where there's lots of reflection from light colored ground above timberline, or snow, or water. One of my daughters-in-law just had a good portion of her upper lip removed due to skin cancer, so I've gotten rather paranoid about sun protection! I always have found the long sleeves, long pants and big hat to be cooler than having the sun shine directly on my skin. Having the hiking shirt and pants a bit on the loose side (for ventilation) helps.

I don't worry about rinsing my water bottles (using filtered water, obviously) unless I've used drink mix inside. In that case, I do rinse out the bottle after each use. I don't think you need to worry.

EDIT, later: You don't have to fill the bottle you're rinsing out; just put in a little water, close the bottle and shake it well, dump the water (a long way from camp or water sources), repeat once, dribble a tiny bit of water over the outside threads and the cap, and you're good to go. Maybe a cup of water for the whole operation.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/08/12 03:36 PM)

#166618 - 06/08/12 02:46 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: kievalina]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Well then, you are in good hands! I personally had to do the whole reality check with my first aid kit! blush

#166632 - 06/08/12 06:02 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: lori]
kievalina Offline

Lori, I think the plan if someone gets hurt is that we all go back. It kind of sucks. (Been looking forward to this for a long time now, have spent way more money than I ever dreamed I would, etc.) BUT... I can't see any way that some of us would keep going while someone else went back. Or else we'd camp an extra day and see if whoever was hurt recovered enough to keep going (or, alternatively, hike back out). We've already got an extra day built in to just chill at the top, so that gives us just a tiny bit of leeway. The only time we might split up at all is after setting up camp or on that extra day, but in that case, the plan is to always stay in groups if we're going to be leaving camp. I can see my dad possibly going off alone, but I would most definitely not go anywhere by myself (except to the bathroom). My dad has a ton of experience with camping/hiking/nature that I just don't have.

#166635 - 06/08/12 07:17 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: kievalina]
lori Offline

It's great that you do not think so, but, the conversation needs to happen anyway so everyone has the Same expectation.

One of our searches was for a camper (not a backpacker) who walked out of the campsite, got turned around and ended up some miles from camp. My protocol even for day hikes is to always tell someone you are leaving the group no matter what.

#167113 - 06/22/12 10:46 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: Heather-ak]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi Heather
My first aid kit now consists of a small roll of tape, a few gause pads and bandades, a tiny bottly of eyewash drops, tweezers, sunscreen and lipbalm. I ditched everything else including the suture kit, and repair kit.
Theres also s tiny ampule of some antiseptic and a tiny bottle of cleanser, like 1 ml each.

OP
As far as the packing list, you will adjust it as you use it, take notes.
Jim smile

#167121 - 06/23/12 01:29 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: Jimshaw]

Some kind of elementary repair kit is a good idea. At least a couple of safety pins (they were called "Wyoming buttons" when I was a kid), a needle big enough to thread dental floss through (also useful for removing slivers), a small amount of some kind of Tenacious Tape (duct tape doesn't work on silnylon, although I do take duct tape too).

I've used the safety pins to replace busted zippers and as clothespins. I've had to sew a busted strap occasionally. I'm always worried about sticking my trekking pole through the peak of my tent ever since, as phat knows, I actually did it once, while cleaning up a tent I was selling to him. I therefore take a sticky silnylon patch that came out of a McNett repair kit.

#167136 - 06/23/12 01:44 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Hi Mouse

I;ve just found that we carry everything that we needed for the last emergency and hope it works for the next, but generally it doesn't. cool In about a thousand camping trips the worst injury I've seen was a scraped knee. :)I FORGOT - I LIKE TO CARRY A BLUE HYDROGEL BURN PATCH. I put it on my friends large scrape and months later the spot where the gel pad had been was less scarred.

Except for a jet cleaning wire for MSR, any repairs I've had to make could be done with a pocket knife. I never used the suture kit, pliers or needle and thread. If you are not through hiking and check your gear before you leave, you should not have to do any repairs. A lot of my jackets have double zippers which weigh more but offer a built in backup. Bomber gear probably requires fewer repairs than extremely light weight gear. I would never carry a multitool unless I was dog sledding or doing something with a high probability of breaking.

Jim

#167143 - 06/23/12 03:29 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: Jimshaw]

Of course I check my gear before going out, but when I'm gone from home for several weeks at a time doing back-to-back trips, things can and do happen. I actually use the pliers on my little 1.9 oz. multi-tool a lot. I don't have much gripping strength in the ends of my fingers, so every time I want to adjust a pack strap I need the pliers to grip the strap end when I'm trying to thread it through a buckle. I also use the pliers as a pot grip for my cooking pot. The order in which I use my multitool "blades" is: (1) pliers, (2) scissors, (3) file (for my perpetually splitting fingernails), (4) screwdriver for prying things and (5) very much last, the knife blade.

The worst injury I've ever seen while in the backcountry was when my father got kicked in the arm by a horse when I was 9. The arm turned out not to be broken, but he had a nasty puncture wound from the horseshoe caulk. Otherwise it has been blisters, slivers, small cuts (especially hangnails for me), a very minor burn or two, the occasional scrape. Now that I've given up boots for trail runners, I haven't needed the blister stuff any more, so I take a lot less than I used to.

Yes, we do tend to prepare for the last emergency, which is probably why I carry that little self-adhesive silnylon patch! On the other hand, if the emergency has happened several times (busted zipper or popped off buttons), those safety pins are a good idea. In the meantime, the safety pins work great as clothespins. Of course if the popped-off button can be found, it gets sewn back on with my dental floss.

Then there was the time I tried using duct tape to mend a rip in the seat of my pants. That was on a dayhike, and while I had the needle (in my first aid) I didn't have thread or dental floss. Yes, it worked, but on the way back to the trailhead the duct tape gradually unstuck itself from the fabric and stuck to my skin instead! That was a painful enough experience that I stuck a length of thread in my dayhiking first aid kit!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/23/12 03:34 PM)

#167147 - 06/23/12 10:44 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: Jimshaw]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
First aid and repair gear depends on the length of your trip and your first aid training. I take a minimal first aid kit because I am not a medically trained person. My first aid kit is much like Jim's + moleskin. I do not take a repair kit for a 2-3 day trip. For a 10 day trip I take a needle, use dental floss if needed, a few safety pins, a little duct tape, one patch for nylon. I do not take extra cord- if I need some, I take it off my tent or off my bear-hanging string. My pack strap broke on one trip and I used my tent cord for that. A jacket zipper broke- sewed bottom up with dental floss and made it an anorak. Sometimes my first aid tape gets used for repairs. I do not take any special tools. If I use my Kelty external frame, I take a few extra clevis pins and rings. Shoes are very critical- I make sure my shoes are in good shape when I start a long trip. My sleeping pad was severely punctured once- I just put up with sleeping on hard cold ground. When things go wrong, I usually improvise.

I have been on trips where there were pretty significant injuries. Do not assume it cannot happen. You need to stop bleeding and treat for shock. There is not a whole lot more that can be done. But realize that minor injuries, on a long trip, can grow into major disabilitating injuries - infected cut, severe blisters, burns, sunburn that blisters. In fact on long trips (30+ days) your hands can get so cracked that you can hardly use them so you need to take lanoline or some other good hand cream. Some people take some stuff that you can put in a tooth if you crack or break a filling. And my first aid kit contains some pretty powerful pain medicine and antihistamin. Ace bandage has been used many times. A good first aid kit does not have to weigh a lot- half a pound or less.

#167163 - 06/24/12 01:47 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: wandering_daisy]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm pretty similar:

My FAK contains:

1/2 oz nalgene of polysporin
1/2 oz nalgene of iodine
4 2x2 gauze
4 4x4 gauze
good supply of blister pads (10 or so, including some big ones, also very useful for burns or nasty huge scrapes.)
15 bandaids, varying sizes
1 roll of *really good* tape.
8-10 butterfly closures.
safety pins (4)
Antihistamines, (benadryl, 6) anti-diahrehaa(4) ibuprophen, asprin, and percocet (8)

also in my kit is my little SAK (with scissors, blade, and tweezers) I also typically have aleve (naproxen) with my in my food bag with my multivitamins.

Everything else can be improvised with my duct tape, trekking poles, found stuff, and clothing. But really, It's about "what are you able to do in the field."

Really with most wounds I've treated (and it's been lots) the biggest thing is spending some time to stop the bleeding and get it good and clean. then it's amazing what a little iodine, polysporin, and a good dressing and tape job can do.

Browse my pictures

#167436 - 07/02/12 12:05 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: kievalina]
DieselTwitch Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm new to the forum, just FYI

I noticed you didn't put any thing in your list about your primary clothing layer... i.e. pants and shirt. Do you carry anything other than what you trek in? I'm trying to figure out what to wear and what to carry. I only ask because I'm coming out of the army and getting into backpacking. In the army we had to cary an extra uniform. Im trying to figure out if I need to carry an extra shirt and pants?

I used a lot of what you had in your list to start building my, Thank you! I'm weighing each item and then using that to calculate a total pack weight, I then look at each item as a % of total weight to help figure out what I need to shave off. Right now Im just shy of 30 lbs. Problem is I haven't added any food, and I still have some items to weigh.. I am carrying 3L of water in my pack and it accounts for nearly 20% of my pack weight. How much water are you caring vs how much you plan on pumping? Where I hike/trek you can go for hours with out seeing water. Compared to most people I drink a lot less water than they do. I can use a 1.5L and be just fine where others will suck 3L or more and be dying for water. How do your water rationing?

Edit - Do you count your boots and the clothing you're waring in your weight? Im trying to figure out where to draw the line.

Edited by DieselTwitch (07/02/12 12:15 AM)

#167437 - 07/02/12 01:04 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: DieselTwitch]
lori Offline

Welcome to the forum.

The answers to all such questions depend on where and when you are going. In some environments you can get by with just a couple of layers and not a lot of water. In others, that would be dangerous.

#167439 - 07/02/12 02:54 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: DieselTwitch]

Clothing worn doesn't count in pack weight, but it's part of "skin out weight," which is the total your feet and legs have to carry. So yes, it's important!

I never carry changes of clothing, except for the all-important socks. I leave clean clothes in the car to travel home in. Everyone else out on the trail is dirty and smelly, too!

Check out the gear lists, especially the 7-day list, on the home page of this site, left hand column.

Our member "phat" also has a link to his excellent gear list on his posts.

#167442 - 07/02/12 09:58 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: DieselTwitch]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
How do you count weight (boots and clothing)?

The answer depends on you. These measurements are only useful for three things: quantifying pain, trip planning, and analyzing your current setup with an eye to going lighter. Beyond that, once you set foot on the trail, your load weighs whatever it weighs.

I know some folks who only think in terms of FSO (From Skin Out) weight, since it tells them how much everything weighs. I've noticed that many of these folks use their clothing pockets to store parts of their kit in: pocketknives, compasses, snacks, etc. So, for them, the FSO probably provides the most accurate measurement.

I don't do that - everything is somewhere in my pack (gotta love hipbelt pockets!) Since I wear clothes everyday, and am used to carrying the weight of my clothing around, I don't find it useful to add that in. So, I only count the weight of my pack and everything in it. When I'm planning, I usually include a liter of water and food for however many days I'll be out. But the only purpose in doing so is to analyze whether there's anything I can safely and comfortably leave out to lighten the pack (more and more often, there isn't.) It also lets me play with how much "luxury" I can afford (for example, in the summer I almost always take a chair kit; in winter, when I'm carrying extra clothing, I often leave it behind, since the days are shorter and I won't be sitting around in the evening.)

I tend to aim for a target weight of 25 pounds at the trailhead; that seems to be comfortable to carry for me. How did I arrive at that? My ideal weight is about 190 pounds; 20% of that is 39 pounds for a maximum comfortable load - one I could carry 8 - 10 hours without being totally exhausted, staggering down the trail. I'm about 10 pounds above my ideal weight, so I subtract that from my maximum load - carrying overweight poundage is no different from carrying gear - which gives me a max load of 29 pounds, which I round down to 25 as a goal. The 20% is a general rule of thumb; some people say 15%, some say 25%, and I even know trail animals who use 33% as their target. 20% seems to be a good number for me, based on my own experience over the years.

Consistency and usefulness are the criteria for how you choose to measure your pack weight. Find the system that is most useful for planning purposes, and stick with that.

#167444 - 07/02/12 10:59 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: DieselTwitch]
phat Offline

Most of us consider the weight of what we are wearing, but only count what is on our back - mostly works, if you don't cheat (i.e. say you're wearing all your insulating layer while hiking when of course you'll probably strip it off and carry it)

So when "comparing" weights, we usually compare base weights, i.e. the weight of the backpack in it, with everything in it, *except* food and water and fuel (i.e. the consumables) - this gives us something to compare that doesn't vary as much by trip.

You then of course need to consider that you'll be adding in food and fuel (for me this is about 2.5->3 kg for 5 days) and water - which will vary a lot depending on where you are. Where I hike water is fairly frequent, so I will typically only carry 1 to 1.5 litres - unless I'm gonna be on a long waterless stretch and I'll take more then.. water weighs a kilo per litre..

Now that doesn't mean we don't *consider* what we are wearing, many of us use trailrunners instead of heavier boots when the conditions warrant, some even sandals.

Have a look at a couple of the lists on the parent site of this board, and a few from some of us and you'll get the idea.
Browse my pictures

#167469 - 07/02/12 01:41 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: kievalina]
DieselTwitch Offline

Thanks for all the info! I like the idea of shooting for between 20-30% of my body weight. Im used carrying a lot of weight, in the army my weapon alone weighed 22 lbs not including my combat load of 800rounds, water, food, med kit, knife, side arm.... so Im going to tend to want to carry more weight.

I weight in at any where from 175-180lbs so my target pack weight is going to be any where from 35 lbs to 45 lbs. I know a lot of people like to be under 30 lbs at the trial head but I just don't have a lot of the super light weight stuff that some people have. I will get there some day but not yet. That and 6 lbs of my weight is water.

As for shoes I always wear boots, I like the feel and the support. I've never been a fan of sandals or even regular running shoes unless I'm actually running.

Its good to know that I don't need to be counting my clothing thats on my back as packing weight.

Thank you for your guidance. I will post my packing list for review and comments.

My apologizes for post jacking kievalina

#167479 - 07/02/12 04:11 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: DieselTwitch]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By DieselTwitch
Thanks for all the info! I like the idea of shooting for between 20-30% of my body weight. Im used carrying a lot of weight, in the army my weapon alone weighed 22 lbs not including my combat load of 800rounds, water, food, med kit, knife, side arm.... so Im going to tend to want to carry more weight.

Try to resist the temptation a bit.. A couple of friends I've hiked with who are vets (Canadian, but hey, pretty much same gear) were looking at heavy gear when they got out and went to aquire a "civilian" rig - because they were "used to carrying a lot of weight and so it's no problem" - my answer was always "then if you pack light you'll just be able to go a lot further and enjoy it more".. Or put it this way, if a fat civilian computer nerd hikes 20 to 25 km in a day that way and enjoys it - you should be able to go a lot further smile

Most of the time when I sat down with them and showed them

1) Good dehydrated food and a small stove (you don't have to
eat MRE's and they are heavy!)
2) had them think about how much weapon, ammo, grenades, commo, batteries, etc. they carried.
3) got them to think "how much did the rest weigh" (the answer to this is almost always "pretty darn little")

Once they got to thinking that, other than their actual fighting gear, they hiked pretty darn light when they were "in" - there just wasn't a lot of room for "extras" after all the ammo, etc. Then I had 'em look at what I take in my list
and think and they did pretty good.

Edited by phat (07/02/12 04:16 PM)
Browse my pictures

#167482 - 07/02/12 04:33 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: phat]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
One other problem with "I'm young,used to it, so it's no problem." I suspect that it still puts wear and tear on joints,and therefore increases the chance of knee and back problems as one ages, or perhaps lowers the age of onset of such problems?

#167494 - 07/02/12 07:22 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: phat]
DieselTwitch Offline

Originally Posted By phat

Try to resist the temptation a bit.. A couple of friends I've hiked with who are vets (Canadian, but hey, pretty much same gear) were looking at heavy gear when they got out and went to aquire a "civilian" rig - because they were "used to carrying a lot of weight and so it's no problem" - my answer was always "then if you pack light you'll just be able to go a lot further and enjoy it more".. Or put it this way, if a fat civilian computer nerd hikes 20 to 25 km in a day that way and enjoys it - you should be able to go a lot further smile

Most of the time when I sat down with them and showed them

1) Good dehydrated food and a small stove (you don't have to
eat MRE's and they are heavy!)
2) had them think about how much weapon, ammo, grenades, commo, batteries, etc. they carried.
3) got them to think "how much did the rest weigh" (the answer to this is almost always "pretty darn little")

Once they got to thinking that, other than their actual fighting gear, they hiked pretty darn light when they were "in" - there just wasn't a lot of room for "extras" after all the ammo, etc. Then I had 'em look at what I take in my list
and think and they did pretty good.

Good points. Right now I'm sitting at 33.77 lbs. I went out today and got a kitchen scale and weighed every thing. I still have some stuff to add (food mostly). and I also know I can off load some of that weight into other packs because I will be carrying some of the items they simply do not have. Ie food and fuel. Im for get the term I think it was FUD? meaning worried about everything or something. I don't think of my self as paranoid but I do live by the moto always prepared or never prepared. to that end I carry a good sized med kit. navigation and communications aids.

After reading the lists and comments others have posted i wanted to ask a few questions.

Cell Phones & GPS - I notice people seam to be very adverse to them. I wanted to throw out my justification and see what people thought.

I carry my Cell Phone, (iPhone because it serves more than one purpose.
1. Its a camera... and a dang good one.
2. It works as an communication device in a pinch. some times when you can't make a call connect you can get a text out.
3. Houses some good reference books for us beginner back packers. things like First aid, Edible plants...
4. Can function as a back up GPS but holy cow does the battery die in a hurry when using the GPS to hike.
5. Makes up <1% of my total pack weight and in airplane mode can last all weekend on one charge.

I carry a rather large Garmin Montana GPS. I have plans of getting a smaller one but I love to make tracks and post them on my groups site so others can see where I went, How far, and how high. it also house Topo, and Satellite map plus Waypoints. It has already proved invaluable on previous trips.

A Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus & Nomad 7M Solar Panel For recharging batteries for my head lamp, cell phone, spot tracker and GPS. To me having the ability to recharge batteries is far more important that packing in a boat load of batteries.

It total my "electronics" package weights in at 57 oz
and includes
8xAA Batteries - 8oz
iPhone 3S - 4.9oz
iPhone Tripod - 2oz
SPOT Tracker - 4.8oz
Goal Zero Panel Kit -26oz
Garmin GPS -10.5oz

Thoughts?

#167496 - 07/02/12 07:42 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: DieselTwitch]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL

2. It works as an communication device in a pinch. some times when you can't make a call connect you can get a text out.
3. Houses some good reference books for us beginner back packers. things like First aid, Edible plants...
4. Can function as a back up GPS but holy cow does the battery die in a hurry when using the GPS to hike.
5. Makes up <1% of my total pack weight and in airplane mode can last all weekend on one charge.

A good multipurpose phone is a lightweight conscious item and I see many people carry them.

I carry a rather large Garmin Montana GPS. I have plans of getting a smaller one but I love to make tracks and post them on my groups site so others can see where I went, How far, and how high. it also house Topo, and Satellite map plus Waypoints. It has already proved invaluable on previous trips.

A Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus & Nomad 7M Solar Panel For recharging batteries for my head lamp, cell phone, spot tracker and GPS. To me having the ability to recharge batteries is far more important that packing in a boat load of batteries.

Why is the ability to recharge far more important? How many batteries would you need to to pack? My understanding with these chargers is that they have so little capacity when they are not continuously in direct sunlight that you can't charge anything while hiking around.

Would it really be that horrible if any of your electronics (except the SPOT) ran out of batteries? I put fresh batteries in my stuff before I leave. If those run out I do without.

The Iphone is probably a battery hog, so you may need some way to recharge it, but how many batteries could you pack to equal the weight of the solar charger?

and includes
8xAA Batteries - 8oz
iPhone 3S - 4.9oz
iPhone Tripod - 2oz
SPOT Tracker - 4.8oz
Garmin GPS -10.5oz

Thoughts?

That seems like an awful lot of extra weight to me. Are you packing extra batteries and a solar panel?

#167498 - 07/02/12 08:09 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: BZH]
DieselTwitch Offline

The solar panel actually charges a 4 pack of batteries. that four pack of batteries is used to charge the phone. other than that is just a general battery charger.

the GPS uses 3x AA
the head lamp uses 4x AA
The SPOT uses 3x AAA (That the solar charger can also carry)
Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus (used to charge the phone) 4x AA

Normally when I trek out (winter or summer) I carry a 100% extra load of batteries. So if I carried enough batteries for everything I would have 25 oz of batteries

I should explain that i do a lot of deep woods winter trips where the sun is not up long, and the time from danger to death is short.

Im on the fence as to if I should carry half the weight and be limited to what i bring or have the ability to charge over and over? Also with this setup I can take care of other people in my group with head lamp batteries, phone charging. and in return I can off load some weight on them.

As for the charging of the panel. by using the 4x AA in the Guide 10 Plus it allows the panel to charge in low light conditions.. just not as fast. Also I like to hike heavy into a spot then trek out in different directions. So i could leave the panel out to charge a set and stay light for my different trips.

It wouldn't be horrible is things died... the GPS, sad yes but I've never had a situation where the GPS has saved my life... made things easier for sure but never saved me. However, this could change this winter as Im getting more into cold camping. Here in Colorado at 10,000' storms come in quick and having a gps to keep me heading in the right direction could be a life saver. The spot really doesn't even need an extra pack of batteries as it only comes on to transmit a message or send an SOS then goes off. its not a constant ON type device. The phone sits in standby 90% of the time, unless I see a picture or want to reference something I see. but I would notice if it did die and not being able to take some pictures would just be disappointing but not trip ending.

You make valid points and I appreciate them! I often think things over 100's of times

Edited by DieselTwitch (07/02/12 09:28 PM)

#167523 - 07/03/12 01:35 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: DieselTwitch]
phat Offline

[quote=phat]

Ya don't need to justify yourself here amigo. I carry mine - it's in airplane mode the whole time, and so the battery lasts forever, and serves as my e-reader at night. It's lighter than the paperback novels I used to carry, and can serve as a backup camera, gps, and god forbid, when I get to the trailhead, in the rare instances I have coverage, a phone. In airplane mode the thing lasts for like oh, over a week or more on the trail as a reader and alarm clock. I think I've done 8 bag nights without a charger with it.

I also often carry a gps.

*but* I turn it on, let it find its' marbles, find what I need, and turn it off. that basically means I get 3-4 days out of a set of AA batteries. I ususally carry two in it, and
two extras. Make sure you turn it off when not in use.

Quote:

and includes
8xAA Batteries - 8oz
iPhone 3S - 4.9oz
iPhone Tripod - 2oz
SPOT Tracker - 4.8oz
Garmin GPS -10.5oz
Thoughts ?

ditch the tripod and the charger, turn your gps off when not in use. maybe take one set of extra batts for your gps, or just make sure you turn it off when not in use. Get something like a petzl e-lite (that lasts an entire two hiking seasons for me on two cr2032 lithium batts) instead of your battery hogging headlamp - Honestly, with an iphone ereader (so I don't need headlamp to read at night) I use my headlamp to take a leak. that's about it. You have other backup sources of night light - (your phone, your gps, your lighter, etc. etc.)

Basically your devices, while light, are making you a slave to over a pound of battery charging crap. you have your 26 oz of charger - you could be carrying 28 more AAA batteries for that weight... you can turn off your gps, and I'll bet money if you get an LED headlamp you'll have a very hard time running it out. This isn't your red dot on your weapon.. the world will not be a very crappy place without AA's smile

Keep the spot, consider selectively ditching the gps if you're somewhere familiar and marked, (and take a map and compass - doesn't need batteries wink - I do consider my GPS a
"luxury" - one that can be taken away by electronics, trees, or the whims of a foreign government. so if I know I need it I have a map an compass.. doesn't mean I don't like my GPS smile

Edited by phat (07/03/12 01:45 AM)
Browse my pictures

#167547 - 07/03/12 11:37 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: phat]
DieselTwitch Offline

Ya don't need to justify yourself here amigo. I carry mine - it's in airplane mode the whole time, and so the battery lasts forever, and serves as my e-reader at night. It's lighter than the paperback novels I used to carry, and can serve as a backup camera, gps, and god forbid, when I get to the trailhead, in the rare instances I have coverage, a phone. In airplane mode the thing lasts for like oh, over a week or more on the trail as a reader and alarm clock. I think I've done 8 bag nights without a charger with it.

I also often carry a gps.

*but* I turn it on, let it find its' marbles, find what I need, and turn it off. that basically means I get 3-4 days out of a set of AA batteries. I ususally carry two in it, and
two extras. Make sure you turn it off when not in use.

I may have to try that. Do you know of any lower power GPS's that would allow me to maintain a "track" for download later with out having to run all the time like my garmin montana?

ditch the tripod and the charger, turn your gps off when not in use. maybe take one set of extra batts for your gps, or just make sure you turn it off when not in use. Get something like a petzl e-lite (that lasts an entire two hiking seasons for me on two cr2032 lithium batts) instead of your battery hogging headlamp - Honestly, with an iphone ereader (so I don't need headlamp to read at night) I use my headlamp to take a leak. that's about it. You have other backup sources of night light - (your phone, your gps, your lighter, etc. etc.)

Basically your devices, while light, are making you a slave to over a pound of battery charging crap. you have your 26 oz of charger - you could be carrying 28 more AAA batteries for that weight... you can turn off your gps, and I'll bet money if you get an LED headlamp you'll have a very hard time running it out. This isn't your red dot on your weapon.. the world will not be a very crappy place without AA's smile

Keep the spot, consider selectively ditching the gps if you're somewhere familiar and marked, (and take a map and compass - doesn't need batteries wink - I do consider my GPS a
"luxury" - one that can be taken away by electronics, trees, or the whims of a foreign government. so if I know I need it I have a map an compass.. doesn't mean I don't like my GPS smile

I use this tripod:

at only 2 oz it makes for doing group, HDR and self photos super easy. Also my name isn't "diesel twitch" for no reason. I have a shake in my hands that makes taking good photos hard. having a quick light tripod is awesome! lol

I also carry a map and compass. I just print the map on a 11"x17" piece of paper and put it in a zip lock bag. and the spot are items I cary on every trip, every time with out fail.

THe only thing about turning the GPS on and off is that I really enjoy seeing the track of where I went. While I know this is not "needed" its does add to the enjoyment. that and my google earth is covered in all my tracks smile and that is awesome to see!

You're right on the fact that I could carry a lot more batteries for the same weight. Kind of making me regretting buying the kit.

I really like my head lamp. I often hike even at night, some times its much easier to stay cool and hike longer in the dark. I've seen the Petzl ones and just didn't like the output. The headlamp i have is actually an LED lamp, its just a massive diode. at full power it will suck the battery dry in 2hours, at lower power it will last 30hours.

Maybe I should strap on helium balloons to my pack.. hahaha if only i could....

#167604 - 07/04/12 11:59 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: DieselTwitch]
Jimshaw Offline

Perspective
When I read the gear lists from vets it makes me think we are going off on patrol and we will need everything in case we get into a firefight and get pinned down for a few days before we can get air support.

When we only occasionally go camping we have a lot of time to over prepare for "anything that might happen". I learned a long time ago that if you are really prepared for everything you won't be able to pick up your pack.

So though I go the list and stuff when I backpack, I live in the mountains and I might go for a "hike" to the same place that I "backpack" only I might only carry a lighter and a bottle of water for my "hike". Obviously I have a great span between what I would carry to the same place depending on whether I call it a hike or backpacking. frown

I could go backpacking to that spot with just my hiking gear, but once I was in camp I might get hungry and want to be warm for the night. A candy bar and sleeping bag would fix that, so EVERYTHING else in my backpack is for my comfort only.

Think about that night you and your buddies went out on your graduation "infiltration" sneak into some town near your military base. You had what? nothing but you base uniform and one guy carried a radio. Think "survival camping" and your pack will be lighter - if you carry one.

Jim smile

#167816 - 07/12/12 04:27 PM Re: yet another packing list [Re: kievalina]
lostagain Offline

Loc: DFW, Texas
As a reply to kievalina: One thing the good folks here who live in the mountains left out.

Aspirin or other pain reliever will be needed for the first couple of days to help with the headache you'll be getting from altitude "sickness". Just be sure to hydrate. If you feel thirsty in the mountains you're already way to dehydrated.

Also, make sure the sunscreen you take has a moisturizing element as well. It's very dry at altitude, and will seem great compared to Detroit, but will dry your skin and lips out quickly. Also, you should take saline solution for your nose. Doesn't need to be a great big bottle, but at least 6 oz.

#167826 - 07/13/12 10:41 AM Re: yet another packing list [Re: lostagain]
DieselTwitch Offline

Tums works far batter for getting ride of the headache than Aspirin will! About 5 min and the headache is gone. The headache is from lactic acid build up in the blood stream. normally at lower altitudes there is enough air that you can expel it from your body via your lungs but at altitude you are "anaerobic" and it collects, the tums being an anti-acid neutralizes this and gets rid of the headache.

Also be careful not to drink water to try and get ride of the headache or you can quickly run through you supply of water. People I hike with are always running out of water where I can hike all day (10 hours) to 14,000' and spend 80% above 12,000' and I may use 1.5 to 2 liters of water...

Right tools for the job!

I dont seam to have a problem with the dryness at altitude like some do. the only thing I take is stuff for my chapped lips. sun screen is good too but the moisturizer and saline solution seam a bit over kill to me. Peoples noses get dry because they breath too much through their nose and not enough though their mouths, the nose get dry and bleeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum