Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166532 - 06/06/12 06:59 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: OregonMouse]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Another vote for the Smartwool Light Hikers - love them.

However, the hubby swears by the Wright socks.

#166534 - 06/06/12 07:10 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Fasttimes]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
No liners.

The sock is part of the fit of the shoe - the thickness of the sock will let you tweak, just a tiny bit, the volume your foot occupies inside the shoe. I found that Smartwool socks the others mention are excellent; so are some Bridgedale trekking socks. They worked well with the Vasque Breeze shoes I used for a number of years. However, when I got my current pair of Patagonia Drifters, I found that the thicker wool socks made the shoes just a tiny bit too tight. I dug out some old Thorlo hikers I had, which weren't quite as thick, and the fit was perfect. They're also very comfortable for hiking. (Oddly enough, the Thorlos are 100% synthetic - no wool content. They do make a thicker, similarly-constructed Trekker version that does have some wool content.)

#166535 - 06/06/12 07:47 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Glenn]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Wigwam lite hikers (merino) or smartwool PhD merino's for me.

if I'm with a boot I use a liner. I tend not to in trail runners.

I flit back and forth depending on what I am doing. On "established" trails I wear a trailrunner - ususally some variant of Montrail, which still seem to work for me.

on more off-route stuff - Hanwag boot.

Browse my pictures

#166538 - 06/06/12 09:45 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Fasttimes]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Generally only wear liners when I need to tweak the fit in boots, and never with sneakers.

Am liking Darn Tough Vermont for, well, darn tough and comfy socks.

Cheers,

#166547 - 06/07/12 12:31 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Fasttimes]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
Question, with trail runners do you feel the need for a sock liner to prevent blisters?

I buy the thinnest nylon dress socks I can find....usually the cheapest at Walmart. I wear two pair, which are still thinner than one pair of normal thickness socks. No blisters or hotspots. A little sulfur dust will keep the skeeters away from your ankles.

#166548 - 06/07/12 12:34 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Fasttimes]
lori Offline

I stopped wearing liners when I found socks and shoes that worked well for my feet. Don't need them. In fact, I tried wearing synthetic liners for a really long day of hiking and found they actually irritate my feet as compared to just the Smartwool PhDs I now wear.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#166558 - 06/07/12 10:06 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Fasttimes]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Unless it's cold out, I just wear just (a single pair of) liner socks. Quick drying, and depending on brand surprisingly durable.

Add a pair of wool socks if it's cold enough. Modify the above if blisters seem to be a problem ... injinji's if toe blisters, a light wool/synthetic mixture short oversock otherwise.

#166604 - 06/08/12 02:57 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: BrianLe]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
I switched about 10 years ago too. I don't wear liners either....just Brooks Arielle running shoes....AND stretchy short gaitors! Hate rocks in my shoes....never hike without my gaitors. smile

#166605 - 06/08/12 08:58 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners...Crocs? [Re: OregonMouse]
Dryer Offline

And speaking of trail runners, Crocs has vastly broadened their product line with boots, golf shoes, camo sandals, etc.
I can't seem to find these things anywhere to eyeball them, so has anyone anything to say about them? I like the idea of foam shoes...very lightweight...but wondered if they hold up.
I crewed in a sailboat race a few weeks back and everyone in the club was wearing Crocs as water shoes.

#166607 - 06/08/12 10:01 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners...Crocs? [Re: Dryer]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
BrianLe is the only person on this forum to mention toe-socks (Injinji's) other than myself. Very functional and not too heavy, they are very good at minimizing hot spots and blisters. Down side for me is that I kill socks and they run about $15 a pair; I usually rip through the heals. I bring at least one pair with me all the time now (I find mixing up the type of socks I wear day to day really keeps my feet feeling good now matter how hard I push).

#166612 - 06/08/12 11:20 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners...Crocs? [Re: skcreidc]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Interesting; I too wear injinji's out pretty (too) fast, but for me it's always the ball of the foot that wears out.

Great for toe blisters, but an alternative is a light silicone separator that keeps the offending toes apart. These are available from a variety of places; footsmart.com has a pretty good selection of such foot related stuff, but if I recall correctly you probably want to give a "expect periodic spam here" email address to them, plus expect some occasional snail-mail spam as well if you ever purchase.

As long as I'm rambling, someone mentioned always using gaiters. So many different approaches to backpacking! I rarely wear gaiters as my pants are long enough that little gets into the shoes. With no gaiters I think my feet are just that much cooler and the shoes can dry out faster when wet. And since the shoes are easier to take off and put back on I'm more willing to take them off to air out my feet at even a short break. In general I just like having one less thing to fiddle with.

There's no single "right answer" here, just an interesting collision of differing experiences and conclusions.

#166616 - 06/08/12 12:08 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners...Crocs? [Re: Dryer]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Originally Posted By Dryer
And speaking of trail runners, Crocs has vastly broadened their product line with boots, golf shoes, camo sandals, etc.
I can't seem to find these things anywhere to eyeball them, so has anyone anything to say about them? I like the idea of foam shoes...very lightweight...but wondered if they hold up.
I crewed in a sailboat race a few weeks back and everyone in the club was wearing Crocs as water shoes.

I have a pair of the clog type Crocs that I wear around camp. They also pull double duty for yardwork. Going on 3 years and haven't worn out yet. Super comfy!

#166674 - 06/10/12 07:34 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Fasttimes]
Fasttimes Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Originally Posted By Fasttimes
Received my new trail runners and they seem to be the right size which is a relief. I've worn them for a day so far and seem pretty comfy. Of course I'll have to give them a go with a load on.

Question, with trail runners do you feel the need for a sock liner to prevent blisters?

Turns out I need a "wide" size shoe and these are not going to work. And nobody has Velocity in size 11 wide. I have a month till I'll be hitting the trail so I need to find some alternatives.

What other models out there seem to be the go to trail runners? Which Montrail or NB models?

#166684 - 06/10/12 02:35 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Fasttimes]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Since the demise of the Hard Rock model, I have settled on Montrail Mountain Masochist II, they work good for me, I have wide feet, low arches.
Browse my pictures

#166706 - 06/10/12 07:29 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: phat]
BradMT Offline

Personally, I've always doubted the "1-lb on feet, 5-lb's on back" mantra. I tend to believe if something is repeated often enough it becomes true... even if it isn't.

I think low hikers are more specialized than boots... their place in dry summertime hiking. As a general tool, I'll take boots.

#166710 - 06/10/12 08:45 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: BradMT]
Glenn Offline

I agree that conditions are an important determining factor. Since I hike in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky, and don't go out in heavy snow (say, more than 2 or 3 inches), low hikers are a four-season shoe for me; since I prefer Gore Tex, they're not just dry-weather, either.

Of course, I'm only a major tool, so you outrank me... smile

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

#166752 - 06/12/12 07:41 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Glenn]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn

Of course, I'm only a major tool, so you outrank me... smile

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Thanks for the chuckle... there are days when I'm pretty sure General Tool fits laugh

#166753 - 06/12/12 07:43 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Glenn]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
I agree that conditions are an important determining factor. Since I hike in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky, and don't go out in heavy snow (say, more than 2 or 3 inches), low hikers are a four-season shoe for me; since I prefer Gore Tex, they're not just dry-weather, either.

Makes sense to me. My wife's girlfriend wears low hikers on all our backpack trips, even in snow. My wife tried low hikers and they didn't work for her... honestly not enough support.

Everyone is so different, and there is no "right" answer.

#166756 - 06/12/12 09:22 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: BradMT]
lori Offline

I wear low hikers in the snow, through streams, over mountains, climbing boulders... I wear 'em everywhere. Sometimes I put on my kayaking socks. Sometimes I don't, and just dry out the wet socks while wearing the dry pair.

When the snow gets up to my knee I'll put on the winter boots. The rest of the year, fuggedaboutit. No go, Joe. I don't kill my ankles for no good reason.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#166773 - 06/12/12 02:09 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: Dryer]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“ I bet those die-hards don't hike exclusively in them either, anymore.”

Well, uh, I guess I’m still a die hard. I used them heavy duty in the bogs of the Midwest. And now I love them in the Rocky Mountains. And I’m not talking about groomed trails – but cross country.

It took me ~2 dozen pair to find the right sandal (including extra length to prevent stubbed toes) and the right sock.

I found the Teva Hurricane 3 and TeraFi 2’s to be pretty good sandals for my feet. And my groups in the Midwest and now in Idaho wear sandals. Sandals have cleared up A LOT of footwear and feet problems. It’s like wearing slippers in God’s house. There’s an art to it but that’s another long post in itself.

-Barry
-The mountains were made for Teva’s

#166952 - 06/16/12 10:00 PM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: BarryP]
squishware Offline

Does stuff get caught under your foot? We have a lot of sand and twigs in FL.

#166956 - 06/17/12 07:09 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: BarryP]
Glenn Offline

Rookie question: do you wear socks with the sandals, or bare feet? (I'm toying with giving them a try this summer, since I've begun carrying a pair of Tevas as camp/wading shoes.)

#166958 - 06/17/12 08:58 AM Re: Considering the move to trail-runners..... [Re: BarryP]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
It took me ~2 dozen pair to find the right sandal

Two dozen pair???!!! grin Barry you are a die-hard! wink I guess its terrain. Sticks found their way into my feet too often to continue chancing getting stabbed. Mosty juniper sticks. In the desert it was sharp rocks getting under my foot. I'm aware some sandals are much more enclosed than what I hike in (Nike Strap Runners at present) but there is a point that they become shoes and not sandals. I still keep them in/on my pack for spares or for wading.
Never wore socks with them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum