Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166487 - 06/06/12 12:20 AM May be a dumb question?
kievalina Offline

Loc: metro detroit, mi
(You've got to love threads that start with the subject "maybe be a dumb question". :-p)

Anyway, I've got a question about bears and food.

Back story:
I'm going backpacking in Montana this summer with my dad and stepbrothers. When my dad and younger stepbrother went last year, they took a Kevlar (sp?) bag and hung it off the side of a steep drop off to keep bears out of their food. I think the plan is the same this year. However, I know that we will each carry our share of the food while hiking. They did not hang their packs, but stored them in the tent vestibule.

My question is: Is my pack going to smell like food and lead to a bear trying to steal my pack in the middle of the night if I hike with food in there? They carried GORP, cliff bars and the dehydrated meals and I will probably do much the same. Do I have to buy some "smell-proof" thing to store the food (and my toothpaste, or anything else that might have an "interesting" smell) in while it's in my pack during the day?

Feeling clueless... again.

Thanks, all. smile

#166488 - 06/06/12 12:38 AM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: kievalina]
lori Offline

I would think that if you store food properly (as per the instructions for whatever wilderness area you are in) and follow the recommended protocols - some areas it's suggested you stop, cook and eat dinner, then hike another little while to a campsite to avoid camping where you've eaten - you will be okay.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#166493 - 06/06/12 07:42 AM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: lori]
SCLocke Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I never thought about toothpaste.

Drug dogs are trained to smell drugs, packaged in plastic, wrapped in tin foil, and hid in coffee or peanut butter. Point being, if you are the least bit concerned, hang it. Some animals sense of smell are incredible.
Better safe than sorry.

As for your pack, I would "think" keeping all of your food in a separate bag inside your back pack would keep it clean of scent.

#166515 - 06/06/12 03:40 PM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: SCLocke]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's what OP sacks (odor proof) are for. I especially use them for my dog's food because if I can smell his kibble through a freezer bag, certainly a bear could! I don't know about a bear, but my dog can't smell his food through the OP sack. OP sacks are an essential part of the Ursack system.

Of course your hands can transfer the smell to the outside of the OP sack after a while, so they are not 100% effective.

PS: There is no such thing as a dumb question; the only thing dumb is not asking the question! laugh

Edited by OregonMouse (06/06/12 03:41 PM)

#166519 - 06/06/12 04:41 PM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: kievalina]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By kievalina
Do I have to buy some "smell-proof" thing to store the food (and my toothpaste, or anything else that might have an "interesting" smell) in while it's in my pack during the day?

There are odor proof sacks that come with the ursack. Having said that, I hike all the time in grizzly country and seldome use them, the caveat is just about *all* my food is neatly packaged in ziploc freezer bags and nothing is left loose in the ursack, or in my pack.

Now, put a dose of reality in it.. if you let a peanut butter sandwitch get smeared all over the inside of your pack, and put your pack in your tent - it's going to smell like food! A lot!
if you don't do that, you're likely no worse off than the amount of food that is in your beard and on your clothing after eating. bears are not sharks.

I normally sleep with my (empty, or only clothing in it) pack with me, either hanging from the head of my hammock, or under my feet with a 3/4 length pad - All my food and smellables though (deodoant, cooking utensils, food, toothpaste, etc. etc.) are in the ursack and/or hung. I am normally in grizzly country (i.e. just north of montana)

If I do have an "accident" and get food spilled on my pack, I wash it out, and make sure I hang for the rest of the trip. I will then wash the pack when I get home.

So be appropriately careful, but not unreasonable.

Browse my pictures

#166520 - 06/06/12 04:50 PM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: phat]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
So you don't have any problems with the Ursack and rodents when you BP "local"?

#166521 - 06/06/12 04:59 PM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I never have. At least not with the way I keep my food.

Understand I do keep stuff in ziplocs inside the ursack.

Never had problems with the possums in tasmania either, and they were eating everyone else out of house and home.

Browse my pictures

#166523 - 06/06/12 05:36 PM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: phat]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Excellent - thank you for your reply - an Ursack is officially on the wish list wink

#166560 - 06/07/12 11:00 AM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: kievalina]
kievalina Offline

Thanks for the replies. Since I'm a play-it-safe kinda girl, I think I might pick up some odor proof bags. Any recommendations on which ones?

#166572 - 06/07/12 02:00 PM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: kievalina]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
"OP Sacks" is a brand name. They're the only ones I've found. Be gentle with the closure, because it occasionally rips.

I get mine at REI.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/07/12 02:02 PM)

#166602 - 06/07/12 11:30 PM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: OregonMouse]
kievalina Offline

Thank you!

#166614 - 06/08/12 11:25 AM Re: May be a dumb question? [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"Be gentle with the closure, because it occasionally rips."

I find that it always rips, and/or otherwise gets to be too much of a PITA to seal. I'm talking here of the large bear-bag sized ones. A small one that I used at one point for suntan lotion and lip balm lasted much, much longer in that way.

I now just expect the top closure to not last long and frankly don't even try anymore barring unusual situations. Unless my food bag is maxed out, I just roll the OP sack inside the Ursack and consider that I'm getting most of the value. We have on us and produce so many interesting smells that I don't think of this as any sort of absolute, just a way of limiting how far and how strong the food odors propagate.

The good news is that apart from the zip closure, the OP sacks last quite well.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum