Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166337 - 05/31/12 02:54 PM alcohol stove question
squishware Offline

I don't like the idea of cooking with poison, so I planned on using everclear for fuel in my new Superstove. I went to the liquor store and Everclear is now only 151 proof. Will this work well? Thanks for your help.

#166338 - 05/31/12 03:37 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: squishware]
sandia Offline

Premise of question is dubious. A campfire (presumed alternative) produces poisonous gas, as does, perhaps, Everclear when burned.

Drinking a liter of Everclear, I suppose, could be fatal. Eating firewood in any amount is inadvisable.

#166339 - 05/31/12 03:43 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: squishware]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
What happened to the 190 proof version? Did someone tell you it is no longer in production? Do you live in California? The 190 has been banned there. Supposedly to keep it out the hands of college kids.

BTW, I have been burning denatured alcohol in my cat stove for years and I still have all my finger and toes.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#166343 - 05/31/12 08:29 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: Trailrunner]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
When I mention "paranoia" in threads like this I immediately lose Brownie points (I wonder why...) but that is what it is.
You are much more likely to breathe in 'lethal" fumes from cars everyday than cooking on alcohol at a campsite...
In my view people that worry about burning alcohol, getting poisoned from aluminium or drinking from Nalgene bottles will most likely shorten their lives by worrying about things like that than from what they ingest.
Our brain is a chemical factory, just as you can use it to amuse yourself you can also poison yourself .
BTW, never have a banknote analysed, you will be very surprised at just how many germs you come into contact everyday just handling that...

Franco

#166344 - 05/31/12 09:05 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: Franco]
squishware Offline

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924412

I'd rather be exposed to ethanol, given the choice. Turns out 151 is the highest proof legal to sell in Florida.

#166348 - 05/31/12 09:25 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: squishware]
Franco Offline

If I understand it correctly, Everclear 151 is 75.5 % pure alcohol (Ethanol) so I would guess the rest is water.
Using 95% Ethanol I get a better burn by adding about 10% water*. At 20% it starts to go the other way so at around 25% will be a bit less efficient than the usual methanol/ethanol mix (SLX) you get over there but probably not by much.
Franco
Almost no yellow/red, just a blue flame. (= hotter)
No idea of why...
(possibly because the stove I used for the tests was made to burn Methanol and had similar results with my versions of the Cat stove)

Edited by Franco (05/31/12 09:57 PM)

#166350 - 05/31/12 09:47 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: squishware]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
If you buy denatured alcohol at a paint store it is about 90% ethanol with other ingredients added, including methanol, to make it undrinkable (sickening) not poisonous in quantities normally drunk for recreation. It is used as shellac thinner and is sold without restrictions. Also, please bear in mind that ethanol itself is poisonous as are methanol,ISO-propynol, Sterno, Esbit, white gas and propane/butane: no stove fuel is without some risk. In my opinion, stove fuel in general is a low risk part of backpacking and minor differences in fuel toxicity are not one of my major concerns. The risks involved in driving to the trail-head, the risk of hypo/hyperthermia, Lyme disease, bee and hornet sting allergies, stream crossings: all of these and others as well are far more of a risk than using stove fuel with a small amount of methanol in it.

You can buy 180 proof Everclear here in Arizona; 750 ml (about 25 fl. oz.) costs about $20 compared with about $7 a quart for denatured ethanol. To me as a non-drinker, that is a recipe for some pretty expensive cooking. Personally, I use the denatured ethanol but hey, HYOH.

#166352 - 05/31/12 10:03 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: Pika]
squishware Offline

#166354 - 05/31/12 10:28 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: squishware]
Franco Offline

#166356 - 05/31/12 11:59 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: Franco]
squishware Offline

Woohoo! Thanks Sir.

#166357 - 06/01/12 12:08 AM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: squishware]
lori Offline

Alcohol is already a poison - seriously, it is poisonous to the body. That doesn't keep us from drinking it however. Too much water is also poisonous, however, it is very difficult to intentionally drink too much water....

I don't worry about poisoning from burning denatured alcohol. I do worry about teflon poisoning at home. It's far more likely to be poisonous to me than burning some chemicals out in the open air.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#166358 - 06/01/12 12:18 AM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: squishware]
Franco Offline

You are welcome. Now good luck in finding that.
I just go to my local supermarket to get 95% Ethanol (about $3.50 per quart) but you need to be in Australia for that.
If you come here and go North, it will be next to the orange juice.

Over there I used SLX but I don't plan to live past 120 or so.
Franco

#166366 - 06/01/12 08:04 AM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: Franco]
sandia Offline

I disagree about relative risks of stove fuel.
On average, a backpacker carrying Everclear is more likely to die of acute alcohol poisoning than of hypothermia, bee stings & other perceived risks of sleeping and walking around while carrying stuff.

#166369 - 06/01/12 09:28 AM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: sandia]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By sandia
I disagree about relative risks of stove fuel.
On average, a backpacker carrying Everclear is more likely to die of acute alcohol poisoning than of hypothermia, bee stings & other perceived risks of sleeping and walking around while carrying stuff.

Only if he drinks the stuff.

I wouldn't touch it. And I have been known to start threads about flasks. I'm much more likely to die of an exploding head reading threads in forums where trolls are frequent...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#166375 - 06/01/12 02:09 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: lori]
sandia Offline

I'd be tempted. However, I was speaking of statistical, average risk to a large population rather than to a particular individual.

That being said, I've sometimes wondered if one could build an ultralight backpacking still and create stove fuel (& evening cocktails) from vegetation encountered en route.

#166378 - 06/01/12 02:34 PM Re: alcohol stove question [Re: sandia]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Depends on the vegetation! I was just reading an interesting blog on poison oak....

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum