Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166359 - 06/01/12 01:05 AM Just got back from my first trip!
TheScuzz Offline

Loc: California
Just got back this afternoon from my first backpacking trip out in the Angeles National Forest. Only spent a night out there, wanted to work out the kinks before I commit to anything longer than 1 or two days, but I learned a lot. I'm really excited to start planning another trip soon, maybe something a little longer (Only hiked 9 miles round trip on this one). My gf and I drove up to Chantry Flats campground near arcadia, and hiked 4 miles in to our campground Spruce Grove. We spent the night there, but were confined to our tent most of the afternoon because the mosquitos were out in droves. The next morning, we packed up and hiked to the summit of Mt. Zion, and hiked out (5 miles out from our campsite). It was a little more difficult today because the temperature got up to around 85 i believe, and carrying a 25 pound pack in that heat starts getting to you. All in all though, we had a blast. If anyone knows of any good 2-3 day hikes out here, I'd love to hear your suggestions. Here are some photos of the trip.
http://imgur.com/a/rkax3

#166364 - 06/01/12 06:45 AM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: TheScuzz]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Glad you had a good time - the test of success for a first trip is whether you decide there will be a second trip!

Looks like some pretty country to hike through - I can sympathize with the rock-strewn trail. At least, here in the east, we have the decency to half-bury them firmly in the ground, so they don't roll out from under your feet. (We save that particular pleasure for the rocks in the stream you're crossing.) smile

I'm curious: how did you like camping in a backcountry campground; would you have preferred to find your own site, without the picnic table (and whatever other amenities the campground had)? I'm always torn. I love camping away from everything, but I also enjoy having the luxury of a picnic table for sitting and meal prep; outhouses are nice, too.

Anyhow, we're all waiting for your NEXT trip report!

#166365 - 06/01/12 06:59 AM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: Glenn]
SCLocke Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.

As you change how you "camp/pack" keep us informed so we can learn from you . . . .

nice picts

#166368 - 06/01/12 08:55 AM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: TheScuzz]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Congrats on your first trip. Better hurry on planning. Tomorrow is the weekend.

The fire pit looks like it was made around 1920.

#166373 - 06/01/12 12:50 PM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: Glenn]
TheScuzz Offline

I liked the campground, especially since it was kind of a buffer between backpacking and car camping. The picnic table/firepit gave me something familiar. However, the spot was too close to the stream and there was an unbearable amount of gnats/mosquitoes. Also, the outhouse was in such poor condition, I would have rather dug a cathole. I would my next trip to be one without a established camp, so I can see how that functions different. I've never been a fan of sitting on the floor (my legs fall asleep very fast) but im sure i can figure something out.

#166377 - 06/01/12 02:22 PM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: TheScuzz]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've had outhouses like that, and I have dug a cathole out in the woods instead of trying to use them. The extra 400 yard walk was worth it. (NOTE: in the east, where I hike, such dilapidation occurs in areas that are not heavily used; heavy use means the land managers keep those outhouses in good repair, and I do use them. I am NOT advocating shunning the outhouse in fragile environments that see lots of visitors.)

I find my back gets tired when I'm sitting in my tent, or on a log (logs also put my posterior to sleep.) I've taken to carrying a chair kit for my sleeping pad - it's 10 or 12 ounces of pure heaven at the end of the day, and well worth its weight to me.

#166383 - 06/01/12 03:09 PM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Glad you enjoyed your trip!

A lightweight headnet (get it in black if you can; it's easier to see through), plus long sleeves and long pants, is your best defense against mosquitoes!

#166387 - 06/01/12 03:35 PM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: TheScuzz]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Nice! That's a sweet spot. Looks like you got above the inversion layer too.

Why couldn't you do a few days right there? It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks to me like there's lots to explore there.

It will probably be too warm soon though. I'm surprised to see it looking so green as it is.

"You want to go where?"

#166394 - 06/01/12 07:15 PM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: TheScuzz]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Drive out to Palm Springs. Take the tram to the top (tell the parking people you are going overnight, there is a lot for that, I think it's called Jaguar or something like that). You need a permit, but there are several campgrounds up there. You can also hike in from the Idylwild side. The PCT runs through there at some point. I was up there in winter, so no idea what it's like in summer, but it should be about 30 degrees cooler than PS.

Get info here-
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/index.php
or here-
http://www.pstramway.com/

Edited by TomD (06/01/12 07:17 PM)

#166397 - 06/02/12 03:33 AM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: billstephenson]
TheScuzz Offline

It was my first trip so I wanted to only to do one night, just to get my feet wet.

#166398 - 06/02/12 03:37 AM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: OregonMouse]
TheScuzz Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Glad you enjoyed your trip!

A lightweight headnet (get it in black if you can; it's easier to see through), plus long sleeves and long pants, is your best defense against mosquitoes!

When is mosquito season? Should I expect to see them everywhere during the summer? How will I know whether or not to expect them where I am hiking?

#166412 - 06/02/12 06:24 PM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: TheScuzz]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
When the "bug season" is at its worst really depends on altitude, when the snow melts, and a lot of other conditions. Where and when are you planning to hike?

Hopefully your fellow Californians will chime in here. Here in the Pacific Northwest the mosquitoes are starting now at low altitude. Up in the mountains they start about 10 days after snow melt and are horrific until somewhere between the end of July and the middle of August. Late August and September are usually fine. Some areas in the Cascade Range consist of high plateaus with lots of little lakes and boggy patches; these places are usually nicknamed things like "Mosquito Heaven" in July. There is one area north of White Pass in Washington that is officially named "Mosquito Valley."

Edited by OregonMouse (06/02/12 06:25 PM)

#166718 - 06/11/12 10:52 AM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: TheScuzz]
Travman769 Offline

man those views had to be stellar.

#166728 - 06/11/12 04:16 PM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
When the "bug season" is at its worst really depends on altitude, when the snow melts, and a lot of other conditions. Where and when are you planning to hike?

Hopefully your fellow Californians will chime in here. Here in the Pacific Northwest the mosquitoes are starting now at low altitude. Up in the mountains they start about 10 days after snow melt and are horrific until somewhere between the end of July and the middle of August. Late August and September are usually fine. Some areas in the Cascade Range consist of high plateaus with lots of little lakes and boggy patches; these places are usually nicknamed things like "Mosquito Heaven" in July. There is one area north of White Pass in Washington that is officially named "Mosquito Valley."

It's not a date, it's a season. Mosquitoes usually start about week after snowmelt, and last for a few weeks after that. So it really depends on the elevation, because that's what determines where there is snow.

Then the slowly die off, and by the end of the summer, there are very few left. But last year was exceptionally wet, and the skeeters lasted longer than usual!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#168099 - 07/31/12 12:54 PM Re: Just got back from my first trip! [Re: TheScuzz]
smidge Offline

nice! glad to hear you had fun. I haunt explored the Angeles forest myself yet. (I'm from Ventura). but the Padres national forest d in Ojai would prob be anther good beginner spot I'm hoping to make my first backpack trip
into it this weekend. Matilija to be exact.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum