Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166251 - 05/29/12 01:35 AM Family Backpacking
KLR Offline

Hi. I have a family of 5. We are new to backpacking (as in, we've never done it, yet). We have a huge 10p tent, but I'm looking more now for lightweight backpacking. I am wondering what the best option would be choosing tents, carrying junk, and etc. I would die for a multiple piece tent (that each member can share responsibility for) so the entire family could share one tent. Though, that might not be practical. What is the best and most lightweight option out there -- both in 5/6p tent, and in split tents (two 3p tents)? Any personal experience? Thanks!

#166254 - 05/29/12 08:00 AM Re: Family Backpacking [Re: KLR]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Without knowing more details, it's really not possible to recommend gear. How old are the kids? Where will you be going? What is your budget?

Most people start backpacking after either car camping or hiking. Hiking takes the least investment in gear.

#166260 - 05/29/12 12:42 PM Re: Family Backpacking [Re: KLR]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Most all backpacking tents are "multiple piece" tents that you can distribute among different packs. There are poles, stakes, tent bodies and generally also rain flys. All these components can be divided among your family members' packs.

Rather than get one huge tent to sleep all five of you, you could consider getting two tents of a smaller size, for example getting one three-person tent and another two-person tent. This solution is a bit more expensive, and probably has a greater total weight, but it is more versatile and allows you to camp in places where there isn't one large tent site, but may be a couple of smaller tent sites. It also allows more ways to split the weight.

Note: tents without rain flys are called single-body tents and their tent fabric is waterproof, making them lighter overall, but which can also lead to heavy condensation if the tent is not properly pitched and well-ventilated.

As a rule I always advise against getting the cheapest tents, such as the low-end stuff at Wal-Mart and other big box retailers. These are only suitable for backyard camping, where other shelter is only a few steps away if the tent fails (as they often will).

If you are on a tight budget (as families usually are) look at online outlet shops such as REI-Outlet (linked from this site). My experience is that REI-brand tents are a good combination of sensible design, solid quality and reasonable price. There are many other good brands that are often discounted.

Edited by aimless (05/29/12 01:16 PM)
Edit Reason: added further advice

#166266 - 05/29/12 02:18 PM Re: Family Backpacking [Re: KLR]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There are excellent articles on selecting and using gear, including sample gear lists, on the home page of this site, left hand column. Included is an excellent article by Penny S. on backpacking with children.

How old are your children? Unless they are so young that they insist on sleeping with a parent, I'd go for a two person tent for the adults and a three person tent for the kids. When going out with my grandkids, we take a Tarptent Squall 2 (2-person) and a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 (3 person). The parents sleep in the 3-person tent with one of the kids who still has night fears, while the two older ones share the Squall. (My dog and I sleep in our own tent). If you want to be all together, the GoLite Shangri-La 5 might be your best bet, although it's out of stock right now. GoLite has switched to not selling through retail stores (except their own) and has cut prices accordingly, so their gear is in great demand right now.

As for sharing weight--you don't have to split up the gear. Instead, one person carries the tent (as an example, 3 pounds) while a second person carries three pounds of something else to offset the tent weight. I even do this with my dog--I carry his sleeping pad (to pad the back of my pack) and he carries the equivalent weight (3 ounces) of my stuff in his doggie pack!

I'd suggest starting out with car camping, to get you used to your gear and to learn camping skills. In fact, the back yard is a great place to start! Then do short-distance trips only a couple of miles from the trailhead. Be sure to pick places that will appeal to the kids and won't be too difficult for them. Depending on the age of the kids (especially the youngest), you'll have to hike their hike for a while. This of course abruptly changes when the kids become teenagers and start out-hiking the parents!

Farther down this forum you'll see a branch called "Hiking with Kids," which you may want to peruse for further information

Edited by OregonMouse (05/29/12 02:21 PM)

#166319 - 05/30/12 10:46 PM Re: Family Backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I understand from another post here that the GoLite Shangri-La 5 is back in stock.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum