Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165662 - 05/05/12 10:20 AM Torn between 60 and 70L pack...
Greg C. Offline

Hey guys... through REI dividend and sale, I got a screaming deal on the Aether 70. As I packed it for a prospective 4 day trip, where I won't be carrying a tent, I am barely packing 2/3rds.

Compression straps work great, and longer trips may warrant more space (tent, extra clothes, etc), I am wondering if exchanging for the 60L might be a better play.

I don't see myself ever doing a backpacking trip alone (gear split for lighter packs). The weight is negligible. I realize its always easier to cinch compression straps than add more space, but I am wondering if it would be more comfortable pack if I am only running with 40L of gear.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
~grc

#165669 - 05/05/12 11:52 PM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Greg C.]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
my wife and I hike together, and we go our for 8 days at a time with our 55L packs. Not sure what we would do with a 70L pack...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#165679 - 05/06/12 03:49 PM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Greg C.]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
This is why most of us recommend buying the rest of your gear, boxing it up and taking it to the store when shopping for a pack. If you're ordering a pack online, you can take a box, pack in your gear plus the equivalent in bulk of a week's food, level off the top as much as you can and multiply length x width x height to get the approximate cubic inches. (For liters, divide cubic inches by 60 which is close enough. Most listed pack capacity is not 100% accurate.)

Since you bought the pack at REI, you can easily return it. Do, however, follow the recommendations listed above when shopping for a replacement.

You might want to allow for the possibilities of going solo and/or going out in colder weather with more insulation, when calculating needed pack volume.

My pack for solo trips is 40 liters plus the outside pockets (which contain tent, snacks and water). Even for a 10-day trip I don't fill it up all the way.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/06/12 03:51 PM)

#165682 - 05/06/12 05:53 PM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Greg C.]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Greg,

I mentioned the other day that I thru-hiked the AT with a 35 liter pack. Obviously I wasn't carrying a big tent, and usually carried only about five or six days of food, but I never ran out of space, even at the ends when I was carrying a bit of extra clothing. I have even had extra gear for a two person trip with no problem.

best, jcp

#165685 - 05/06/12 08:53 PM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Greg C.]
Greg C. Offline

Thanks guys...

Oregon, I am fortunate enough to live around the corner from an REI. I asked them if it was okay if I brought my 70L in and pack the 60L, and decide on a return and they were cool with it... so that is exactly what I'll do!

A quick follow-up if any of you read this... how do you pack your food? Just put it in a dry/stuff sack?

thx
~grc

#165686 - 05/06/12 11:22 PM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Greg C.]
lori Offline

That's a huge pack! I could take an ice chest and inflatable raft!

Food storage depends on where you go. I often go where there are bear canister requirements. Sometimes I can hang the food to keep the smaller creatures out of it. In locations like the Grand Canyon, you might need a stainless steel mesh bag. It pays to research what kinds of animals there are where you plan to go, and find out if there are rules on how to store food.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#165709 - 05/07/12 05:40 PM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Greg C.]
Greg C. Offline

Well I went to REI today and packed the 60L with everything I have minus a couple items. I'd never imagine hiking backcountry alone, so splitting a few items with a friend here and there, I think the 60L was a much better call.

Thanks for the input!
~grc

#165720 - 05/08/12 07:48 AM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Greg C.]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Did you weigh the pack with everything in it?

You can get a pretty good fish scale at WalMart for $20. A bathroom scale can be very inaccurate.

#165723 - 05/08/12 11:19 AM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Greg C.]
Lee Burns Offline

Get the 70!!! Nothing wrong with a few more packable spaces.

#165724 - 05/08/12 11:20 AM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Gershon]
Greg C. Offline

No I haven't, but with lightweight and split gear with my buddy, I am guessing my pack is going to come in at 25-27lbs.

I was actually thinking of going that fishing scale route for the pack. I fish too, casually, but it would be worth purchasing I think...

~grc

#165746 - 05/08/12 10:24 PM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Greg C.]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
what are the differences between the two packs? Is the smaller one significantly lighter? Will you use the pack for winter camping or ever carry someone elses gear?

Don't buy a smaller pack just because its smaller. You need the one that fits the best and can carry your gear. A good pack has straps to compress it. My pack is 6500 cubic inches.
Jim cool

#165802 - 05/10/12 03:18 PM Re: Torn between 60 and 70L pack... [Re: Jimshaw]
Greg C. Offline

Thanks Jim.

I swapped the pack out. It's actually a 63L pack. It kept all my gear (cooking + tent, which I'm not likely to ever carry both) while still allowing for compression. Despite an almost equal weight characteristic, it did feel more comfortable and less bulky than the insanely cinched 70L

~grc

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum