Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165523 - 05/01/12 11:53 AM Alps Mountaineering
ajb149 Offline

As mentioned in another thread I'm a little new to all this and in the process of acquiring gear. I came across an Alps Mountaineering Lynx 2 tent at a really good price, the only problem is that I know next to nothing about the company.

The prices for most of their stuff seems a little on the low side, but knowing what I do about companies in other areas (fishing equipment, tools, etc) sometimes you come across a smaller, unknown company that produces top quality stuff at lower quality prices just to get a foothold in the market. I was wondering if that's the case here?

As far as reviews on the internet, there really aren't a whole lot to give me something definitive. There don't seem to be more than 3 reviews on any single piece of equipment. Overall I'd say there seems to be 70% that claim its great quality at a great price and 30% that say the exact opposite.

Any personal experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated.

#165530 - 05/01/12 12:31 PM Re: Alps Mountaineering [Re: ajb149]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I love the design of those tents, they are incredibly easy and fast to set-up. The down side to that particular one is it is a bit heavy at over 5lbs.

If you're backpacking with a friend and intend on sharing the tent, then the weight isn't bad, but if you're using it by yourself you can probably find some lighter alternatives that will work as well for you.

Tell us where and when will you be doing most of your backpacking and we can probably offer some suggestions.

"You want to go where?"

#165542 - 05/01/12 09:35 PM Re: Alps Mountaineering [Re: ajb149]
Smiley Offline

Loc: Kentucky USA
I have two of there sleep pads which are very comfortable to sleep on. They are not as compact as some other brands so I use them for car camping. Have looked at there tents but not tried one.

#165654 - 05/04/12 06:05 PM Re: Alps Mountaineering [Re: ajb149]
PDA Offline

I have AM Sleeping bag and backpack. IMO, both are excellent value. The 60 litre backpack has a fully adjustable back length and pretty good hip belt. The bag is (for me) true to temp rating and was a bargain in REI Outlet special. My understanding is that they target the scout market, so durability is important in design. Thsi means that they are not lightweight.

#165666 - 05/05/12 02:57 PM Re: Alps Mountaineering [Re: PDA]
swammie Offline

Loc: ca
I agree about durability and affordability. Great gear for scouts. I have both AM bag and backpack. Both are now too heavy for me as I move to lighten my load, but the gear is awesome and very fine quality.

#165667 - 05/05/12 05:37 PM Re: Alps Mountaineering [Re: swammie]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've read that Alps Mountaineering does target the Scouting market and gives them discounts. (Note, though, that my info is all second hand.) Nevertheless, I'd look for something a little lighter, especially if you will be going solo with this tent (as already pointed out, the weight is not so bad if two people will be sharing it).

A good place to check for gear reviews is Backpackgeartest.org . These folks test the gear items thoroughly over several months' time. All too many "reviews" are like this one: "I took this tent on a 2-night trip to xxx. The weather was beautiful. This is an awesome tent." The one problem I have with Backpackgeartest.org is that they depend on gear donations by the manufacturers and therefore don't test a lot of the excellent lightweight gear by "cottage" manufacturers.

You might want to check out the excellent tents made by Tarptent.com and Sixmoondesigns.com, two of these "cottage" manufacturers.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/05/12 05:38 PM)

#165672 - 05/06/12 12:26 AM Re: Alps Mountaineering [Re: ajb149]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
I'll jump in here too...I have a car camping bag from Alps that I've had forever. It's suffered kids jumping around in it, wrestling in it, stuffing it into every nook and cranny and it still looks like new!:)

#165687 - 05/06/12 11:26 PM Re: Alps Mountaineering [Re: OregonMouse]
swammie Offline

Loc: ca
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I've read that Alps Mountaineering does target the Scouting market and gives them discounts.

I have firsthand experience with AM and Scouting discount: 45% off retail. Simple as visiting www.scoutdirect.com

They also have a demo program if you'd like to test and write up their gear.

Doug

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum