Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165543 - 05/01/12 09:52 PM Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires
Smiley Offline

Loc: Kentucky USA
I have been debating on the pro's and con's of using Alcohol Stoves over Esbit style fuel tabs or just using Wood fires. Ive made alcohol stoves and used them and had good results and wood fires well we all know about that. I have used the military style fuel tabs but no esbit tabs. The thing that bothers me about Alcohol/Heat is carring the extra fuel and chance a spill on my gear. Who has used the esbits tabs and what did you get for results.

#165544 - 05/01/12 10:24 PM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: Smiley]
lori Offline

Esbit is slow and stinky. I prefer alcohol. Since I can't use wood everywhere I go, I haven't bothered to get a wood stove, but there are twig stoves that do well for some people.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#165551 - 05/02/12 12:31 AM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: Smiley]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A lot depends on where you'll be backpacking. In the western US, fires are often banned altogether during the dry season because of the forest fire danger. In some cases, alcohol stoves (or any other stove without an on-off valve) are banned, too. Wood fires are also usually banned at timberline and above due to the scarcity of fuel. Of course that's not a problem where you live!

The other issue with wood fires is that they definitely soot up the outside of your cooking pot. IMHO this isn't a big deal as long as nothing rubs against it. You'll want to have a solid (not mesh) stuff sack for it to keep the soot from rubbing off on everything inside your pack.

I myself prefer a canister stove (mine is a Primus Micron) for its convenience and because I regularly backpack where wood fires are discouraged or forbidden.

#165557 - 05/02/12 09:29 AM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

Esbit also leaves residue on the pot. Forgot to mention that.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#165558 - 05/02/12 09:41 AM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: Smiley]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Smiley,

You already have some pretty good advice, but I'll add a couple of things specifically about the alcohol vs Esbit question.

I have used Esbit extensively (did a whole thru-hike with it). I've also used alcohol (three different stoves), as well as several gasoline and canister stoves over the years.

For long distance hiking, I now use Esbit exclusively. I do not notice the smell that much (maybe my smeller is going the way of my ears, eyes and teeth). But if you use it in the open and with a serious windscreen (mine is homemade from heavy duty aluminum foil) you shouldn't notice it a whole lot.

I have a little titanium folding stove that weighs only a few grams (less than an ounce). I find the speed about the same as two out of the three alcohol stoves I've used (the Trangia is a beautiful little thing and faster, but also quite a bit heavier). The Esbit is significantly better than the military issue tabs that I have used. It will boil my little pot with about 3/4 of a tab, leaving me some boiling time if I need it, or I save the remainder and use a couple for a cup of tea or soup for lunch sometimes. I collect them in a little Ziplock.
They do soot up your pan a bit, but I have no trouble rubbing it off.

There have been several attempts to gauge the lightest fuel over time, and at some point, I gather the alcohol would be a bit less total weight, but it was over a longer time frame than I would likely go without resupply.

Having said all this, I still take a canister stove on short family trips. They are the berries, luv 'em.

best, jcp

#165559 - 05/02/12 09:46 AM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: JPete]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
JPete,

which titanium folding stove do you own? I just bought a used Emberlit-UL the other day and looking forward to trying it out.

#165574 - 05/02/12 10:45 AM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: Ewker]
JPete Offline

Ewker,

BACKPACKINGLIGHT, just less than half an ounce. It was also inexpensive. Don't remember the price, but I bought half a dozen (I have some backpacking friends).

They also had titanium sheet for windscreens, but they were out of stock and my aluminum foil works plenty well enough. I use it with a little (about three cups) aluminum pot rescued from a smashed boy scout cook kit 50 years ago (it's been smashed a couple more times since). Still prefer it to the several ti pots I have.

best, jcp

#165577 - 05/02/12 11:31 AM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: Smiley]
ATwanabe Offline

I have used Esbit in the past with varying degrees of success. In dry warm conditions they seemed to work well, was a bit stinky, and did leave a small residue on my pot. In cool wet conditions I found them to be difficult to light just when I needed hot food the most. I switched to alcohol and have been happy.

#165584 - 05/02/12 02:45 PM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: Ewker]
JPete Offline

Ewker and Smiley,

I realize I left out something that may have some significance. I use a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil under the stove, partly to protect the surface below and partly to reflect heat up to the pan. It's cut to fit flat into the bottom of the pan for carrying.

I've never tested to be sure, but I think it helps since my boil times seem to run a little shorter (about a minute to a minute and a half) less than what I see quoted here.

I've never had trouble lighting it, I've even used it as a fire starter in some pretty nasty cold, wet, windy weather. Just be careful how you hold it so you don't burn your fingers.

best, jcp

#165618 - 05/03/12 09:27 AM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: JPete]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
JPete,

when you said "titanium folding stove" I ws thinking about a woodburning stove since the one I bought (Emberlit-UL)

http://emberlit.com is a titanium folding stove.

#165655 - 05/04/12 06:07 PM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: Smiley]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“The thing that bothers me about Alcohol/Heat is carring the extra fuel and chance a spill on my gear.”

That’s the beauty of alcohol/heet. If it spills on gear it cleans and dries fast; vs. other fuels that will eat your nylon.

-Barry
-The mountains were made for Teva’s

#165664 - 05/05/12 11:44 AM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: Smiley]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
A few years ago I switched to using esbits on my 3-season solo trips. The commonly cited downsides smell (you get used to it) & residue on pot (I found cleans off with my used tea bag) are pretty manageable. The plus side is that they are pretty weight efficient if you have a good stove/windscreen/pot system and it's really easy to figure out how much fuel to bring. I have a few more notes on my recommended stoves page.

--mark

#165671 - 05/06/12 12:14 AM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: verber]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I love esbit tabs a lot but have not bought one pack sense my bushbudy ultra arrived over a year ago.

And the only reason I really enjoy the bush buddy is when packing for trips no matter the length I don't even think about fuel . It doesn't matter I've boild quarts of rain water in a thunder storm with it!

It's the only stove I've used for trips with less than three for over a year now. But i still recomend esbit with proper instruction.It is a wonderful fuel . Alcohol is grueat but the only kindI carry is the stuff they sell in plastic hip flasks!

Edited by Samoset (05/06/12 12:17 AM)

#165743 - 05/08/12 09:38 PM Re: Fuel Tabs vs Alcohol/Heat Fuel vs Wood fires [Re: Smiley]
Smiley Offline

Loc: Kentucky USA
Thanks for all the good advice guys I geuss it will just be a deal of depends on the trip on what I take to use because I still like the Alcohol Stove but was looking at getting away from the fuel. But its not that big of an issue since I already have it I might as well use it. As for wood fires I've been use twig fires for years doing historical reenacting camping and we have lots of wood here. And esbit tabs I don't have any right now but do have some of the military tabs left over from my Army days so will just use them for now and let it be at that. And yes I would like a canister stove for packing when I can get a good deal on one. Enjoy the woods this year guys and thanks for your help.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum