Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165316 - 04/25/12 02:49 PM Magnesium tent stakes?
Zeroignite Offline

Hiya,
Here's an idea that's been knocking around my brain for a while. Why not use magnesium for tent stakes? In many cases such as soft ground, the absolute strength of the stake doesn't seem to matter as much; they just need to be strong enough to not bend. Any time I bent a stake has been from trying to overforce it, not wind or "in-use" demands. Magnesium and its alloys are much lighter than both aluminum (2/3 the weight) and titanium. And, in a pinch, you could shave a bit off the stakes as firestarter material.

Sourcing Mg rod to play with does seem a bit tricky, since industrial suppliers expect you to order in larger quantities than you need. Also, you do need to be mindful of accidentally igniting dust/shaving while machining.

#165376 - 04/27/12 09:07 AM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: Zeroignite]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
It's the last sentence of your first paragraph and your second paragraph that worries me.

You should read the wiki article on Magnesium, and then consider if you want everyone around you to bear the risks you are proposing. I can see several vectors to accident and injury of yourself (which doesn't really bother me, so long as you are witting - and you seem to be) or to others (which does - I might be one of them).

For the benefit of others:

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium

Peridodic table: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ptable.com/Images/periodic%2520table.png&imgrefurl=http://www.ptable.com/&h=1080&w=1440&sz=79&tbnid=JsfFP8TdgDCmFM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dperiodic%2Btable%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=periodic+table&hl=en&usg=__pdvx4qjuqvGYY2L3XB-PcXpw2lo=&sa=X&ei=qpOaT6rjEYiN6QHPxfCSDw&ved=0CCkQ9QEwAg

To clarify my concern, I have historically used tent stakes in applications involving fire (lifting a dutch oven lid, poking logs, manipulating pots, etc...) when I'm improvising; I can forsee a tragic accident if you built your stakes and they were used by an unwitting or unknowing person for an application other than what you intend (as just a tent stake).

Alternatively, is there a magnesium/aluminum alloy that might achieve the weight savings you are looking for and that is lighter/cheaper than titanium? That MIGHT reduce your fire risk and achieve what you are looking for.

Steadman

#165377 - 04/27/12 09:39 AM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: Zeroignite]
lori Offline

Why?

Just don't take any tent stakes at all, and tie off to rocks or roots or trees if you are that worried about weight. I have gone on trips where I did not even use the stakes I brought.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#165381 - 04/27/12 11:26 AM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: Zeroignite]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Tent stakes weigh nearly nothing. You can cut more weight simply by being more careful with your food weight. Or carry one cup less water.

#165395 - 04/27/12 02:55 PM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
REI as yellow plastic stakes that are lighter than their aluminum ones. I don't like them, but they are only 75 cents apiece.

The frame on my external frame backpack is made from an aluminum magnesium alloy.

The Pareto Principle suggests 80% of the weight you can eliminate will be 20% of the cost and the other 80% of the cost will eliminate the last 20%.

Another way to put it is "Pounds are cheap, ounces are expensive."

#165449 - 04/28/12 10:37 PM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Or changing your cooking style from gourmet to freezer bag (saving the weight of food, packaging, and probably one or more pots, bowl, and cup.

Or replacing your 550 fill down (or synthetic) bag with an 800 fill bag. (And the cost differential may not be much?)

Or switching from a two-person tent for solo use to a genuine solo tent.

Or probably half a dozen other things I just can't think of now.

#165483 - 04/29/12 10:40 PM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: Zeroignite]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Speaking as a certified gear junkie and gram weenie, I think most of you are missing the point. It's not just about saving weight. It's about innovation, creativity, and just plain fun.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#165487 - 04/30/12 12:09 AM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: Trailrunner]
lori Offline

There comes a point where the amount of effort and cost exceed this gear junkie's willingness to tinker. Chipping pieces off a block of magnesium doesn't sound nearly as much fun as making a stove out of pop cans, or sewing a new tarp.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#165840 - 05/12/12 12:48 PM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: Zeroignite]
Tikki-Tavi Offline

Loc: Washington
I think it is a rather clever idea. It is a reasonable metal for light-weight medium strength applications which is why it is used in engine blocks in lawn-mowers and VWs. It would have a clever dual use. Shavings could be cut from it to light a fire in a pinch. (Why not one stake be made of a magnesium rod and one made of ferrocerium?) As for flammability, I did a little test to confirm what I learned in school. I heated a small block of magnesium in a campfire until it was too hot to touch. I could not ignite it. Shavings and thin ribbons, on the other hand, ignite easily.
- Tikki
P.S. If you go to market, send me a prototype grin

#167487 - 07/02/12 05:27 PM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: Zeroignite]
Milo Offline

Here's how to go lighter than magnesium: Make stakes out of plastic.

Only problem is, hard rocky ground. Seems it's always there where I pitch a tent. To punch through the hardest rockiest soil, bring one (1) 6-inch steel nail. Drill a stake hole with the nail, pull it back out, insert the super lightweight plastic stake. Pre-drilling the hole also keeps the plastic stake from breaking as it's being inserted and hits something.

Also, plastic is safer than Mg.

#168509 - 08/15/12 07:15 PM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: Zeroignite]
backcountrybart Offline

thats a good idea for tent stakes. they would work rather well as long as you are not on a rocky soil or in a high weather type scenario. you do have a point thought with byeing the rods. the best bet would be to go to somewhere that uses magnesium, like a gun shop. and see if they have scrap pieces lying around. they may not be rods but if you have the machinery to tool them to a rod shape then it could work.

#168636 - 08/21/12 04:01 PM Re: Magnesium tent stakes? [Re: Tikki-Tavi]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Tikki Tavi

Thank you, you've relieved Darzee's worries.

Steadman

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum