Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164653 - 04/04/12 04:21 PM MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX?
KillJoy Offline

Hello all! I'm getting my FIRST pack and would like more experienced opinions!

MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad
OR
ULA AirX

I am sure I cannot go wrong w/ either system, but, which would you pick over the other, and why?

I know the AirX's pad is 41" vs the Peak Elite's 72". Anything else to sway one way vs the other?

Thanks!

KillJoy

#164656 - 04/04/12 06:55 PM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: KillJoy]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
You can definitely go wrong with either system. A pack is all about fit. Which one fits you? That's the one to get.... not what somebody else says they like.

#164658 - 04/04/12 09:18 PM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: BZH]
KillJoy Offline

Ok... both "fit".

Now what?

laugh

KillJoy

#164661 - 04/04/12 10:24 PM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: KillJoy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If both fit equally well, you get the luxury of choosing the better feature set. Here, the best thing to do is take your gear to the store, and pack them both as though you were heading out for a typical trip. With these two packs, that may not be possible, so you'll have to do a "virtual" packing by what's on the website.

You're trying to figure out which pack fits your packing style, which is driven to a great extent by how you hike: do you need pockets for camera gear, snacks, route-finding equipment (GPS or map and compass), water bottle, water filter, and other things you use a lot while you're walking? Do you want a lid pocket to keep all the little stuff in? Or are you the type who doesn't get into the pack much during the day, and doesn't need pockets?

If you could post how you pack and use your pack during the day, maybe some of the folks who use these two packs could give you an idea of which works better. (I'm not familiar with either pack.

Good luck.

#164663 - 04/04/12 11:00 PM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: KillJoy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Important--how much weight do you expect to carry (including the pack)?

#164664 - 04/05/12 12:19 AM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: KillJoy]
lori Offline

Where are you going? What season?

Mandated food storage? Bear canisters are a frequent joy killer when it comes to ultralight backpacks. But they are absolutely necessary where they are required, and don't let the ultralight extremists tell you otherwise.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#164671 - 04/05/12 04:55 PM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: KillJoy]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
KillJoy,

You have gotten the key questions (weight, style, destination, and above all, fit). I have no experience with the pads mentioned nor with ULA packs, but I have a modified (for fit) MLD Burn (a smaller version of the Exodus). I'm just getting back on the trail after a lengthy health break and I carried it with 26 lbs. on a long day (because I carried some gear for a partner). I was very tired (my first time out in two years), but not any concern at all with the pack...it carried beautifully, even overloaded. Barely noticed I had it on.

The other plus factor is dealing with Ron. Along with several other "cottage makers" He's one of the good guys. Very experienced, innovative, thoughtful and helpful.

The downside is that he does his own manufacturing and his work is popular. Wait times in spring can run a couple of months. I found it was well worth the wait.

best, jcp

#164674 - 04/05/12 08:08 PM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: JPete]
KillJoy Offline

To answer everyone's questions:

I am just starting. This will be my first pack. I like to spend $$$ once, so... go big or go home!

Many of the questions have helped me try and determine what I want, so that helps!

I am glad there have not been and "do not get ***". So....

Thanks all!

KillJoy

#164679 - 04/06/12 02:43 AM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: KillJoy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
We still need to know the weight you plan to carry. These packs won't support as much weight as a fully framed pack. Maybe 25 lbs. A similar pack with stays (such as a Six Moon Designs Starlite) or a ULA Circuit will support up to the low 30's.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/06/12 02:44 AM)

#164688 - 04/06/12 09:30 AM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: OregonMouse]
KillJoy Offline

If my math is right, I should be in the 20-25lbs range including the Pack and water.

KillJoy

#164689 - 04/06/12 09:41 AM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: KillJoy]
lori Offline

If you don't have the gear yet, you don't know that. Manufacturers aren't accurate in posting weights.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#164690 - 04/06/12 11:08 AM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: KillJoy]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Another nomination for "ultimate" pack -- which is also salable if you don't like it -- is the luxurylite pack. They are at luxurylite.com

I currently have 4 of them . . .

#165262 - 04/24/12 02:04 PM Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? [Re: KillJoy]
camelcarlson Offline

I have using the Ula Airx for a while now, and this is by far the most comfortable backpack I have used. The pack is relatively large (I have packed for a 2 week trip carrying all my food and this was no problem at all) The large volume of the pack has both pros and cons, like everything else. I typically do not need that much space, but the pack is relatively compressible. My typical weight range is about 22-30 lbs for 3-5 backpacking trips and this pack handles this weight with such ease and comfort that i forget that I have it on. The pack moves very well, and the Kylmit sleeping pad creates an "airy" feeling in the backpanel which provides exceptional comfort. Anyways, backpacks are all personal. Some work great for some and not others. The ULA Airx is my go-to pack from anything from an overnighter to a thru-hike of the PNWT. Cheers!

Edited by camelcarlson (04/24/12 02:05 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum