Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147514 - 03/08/11 01:07 PM Old stoves used by climbers
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I don't know where to look to see if any old MSR model 9 or 9A stoves can be had if at all, so thought I would mention here if the mods allow. Does anyone hang out at some climbing/mountaineering forums and if any gear comes up for sale and if anyone would part with one of these? I would dearly love to pick up an old MSR stove, they will be pretty rare the two models I would like to add to my MSR stove collection, the oldest I have now is a G and a G/K. Any leads/suggestions would be deeply appreciated. You can reply, or IM me if you wish. Thank you.

Duane

#147569 - 03/09/11 07:13 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Duane, You might try posting on www.summitpost.org or www.neice.com

#147578 - 03/09/11 08:40 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: TomD]
hikerduane Offline

Thank you Tom, I can try.

#147967 - 03/18/11 02:26 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
TomD Offline

Duane, you should also check out www.spiritburner.com if you aren't familiar with it already. It is a stove collectors site. Not sure if it has a classified section, though. I didn't see one when I looked at the site, but maybe I missed it. The FAQ mentions a forum called Trading Post for sales, but I can't find it. Maybe you have to join to see it. No idea.

Edited by TomD (03/18/11 02:33 PM)

#148072 - 03/20/11 07:00 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: TomD]
hikerduane Offline

Thank you Tom, I've been a member there for over a year now and up to 7-800 posts. smile Great place to kill time, my favorite place now, but expensive, I have bought a bunch of stoves thanks to those guys.

#148200 - 03/23/11 08:59 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
TomD Offline

Hmm, I thought you might. I just stop by there once in a great while, so haven't seen any of your posts. You might also try some of the foreign Craigslist or eBay sites, like ones in Europe, NZ or Australia.

Edited by TomD (03/23/11 09:00 PM)

#148214 - 03/23/11 11:07 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: TomD]
hikerduane Offline

I havn't tried the European places, only curious a few times on what the UK has. I don't have any European buds that would help if I found a stove over there. I've picked up three virgin stoves though the last couple months, but paid dearly for two of them. Already spent my income tax refund, but trying to cut back on my buying, pick and choose now, where last year I jumped in with both feet. I have to do more bping and car camping so I can use the stoves, instead of just one stove on a trip, I bring two now so I can use them.:) At least my most expensive stove worked after half an hour or so of fettling it. Cool.

#149387 - 04/19/11 12:01 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
How are you at identifying old US brands. I have one I am not sure about at all. I'll have to post a pic.

#149391 - 04/19/11 01:14 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

We all here can take a shot. Also check out Classic Camp Stoves, many old hands there and if any interest in stoves, one of the best knowledge bases for stoves and repairs (fettling). I hang out there more than any other forum I belong to.

#150356 - 05/15/11 07:03 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

I finally acquired a #9 we believe it to be as it does have the crimped burner bell like the first model has. Happy, happy. Great shape, not worn out, fired right up with a prime. Sounds like a Svea 123 and if turned too high has a pulsating sound. All I think I need now is the MF model.:)

#151026 - 06/02/11 10:39 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

Just got a MF, still need the 9F I think it is, but real happy with the oldies I have gotten. Still need a working white pump, has the square fuel knob. Thank you.

#152952 - 07/21/11 01:29 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

I still would like to acquire a white pump, working if possible, but not a necessite. I had found one but the original owner had a 9 to go with it and I just got one this Spring and did not need to spend the money, my credit card bill has been killing any budget I have, even though it gets paid off every month. I joined another bp site and had the hit for the second 9 last week, that is what I passed on to another collector. We are only saving these to put into use again, instead of sitting in a bin or closet or looking to resale for a profit. Love my old stoves, they run super. Thank you for any leads.

Duane

#154119 - 08/29/11 01:26 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

I get to take my MSR stove collection to Oregon's Diamond Lake later this week to show off at a Stovies meetup, some of us from CA and OR are to be there. One other guy has more than I do I believe, I helped him a month back acquire the last MSR stove he needed to complete his collection. He is one happy camper in more than one way.:) I'm still in need and have money for a white pump and any condition really old MSR stove(s).
Duane

#160280 - 01/12/12 11:21 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

I'm awaiting a used Optimus 11 Explorer now, just located one, should have it next week. Still looking for a white MSR pump, any condition, working still would be nice but I've heard many do not trust one that old. There is still a few very early model MSR stoves I don't have that I need to fill a few holes in my early stove collection. Up to over 65 now of differing brands and styles, I keep locating one now and then, it gets harder to come by them.
Duane

#164992 - 04/15/12 08:41 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

Still looking for a white pump. I would like to get a Brunton Nova stove and pump that has the CEJN fittings, reasonable price. Also saw a Snow Peak White Gas stove from about the 80's I thought was neat, I'll have to look for one of those. I've missed a few new Brunton Nova's on eBay that come up after my lunch as a BIN item. I'm also trying to fill in the gaps for my MSR stoves, a few models I don't have here and there. Trying for a Simmerlite, should have kept my PR if I'm going to try to get all the MSR stoves.
Thank you,
Duane

#165237 - 04/23/12 11:09 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

I was contacted about a pre-recall Nova, Brunton fuel bottle, CEJN fittings. Bought it at a fair price, would rather have the Omni Fuel stove after I had posted the wtb for the Nova, as I can get a silent burner for it. That's fine, I have so many stoves, they see little real world use. Looking for the Snow Peak WG stove, a rarity. I keep pecking a way.
Duane

#167742 - 07/09/12 09:07 PM Looking for old MSR Newsletter & Catalog [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

I recently acquired a couple old MSR Newsletter & Catalogs, issue 11 and 12. I would like to get any others that describe or show any old stoves or documentation on MSR stoves. The two I received are a great resource for us who collect and are interested in the MSR stoves. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Of course still looking for a white pump.
Duane

#169053 - 09/05/12 01:10 PM Re: Looking for old MSR Newsletter & Catalog [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

I acquired a MSR 9A with paperwork. Cool, should match some of the info in the Newsletters I got. It should be enlightening to see any differences in it and the G's or GK's. Still need a white pump and other neat, old stoves.
Duane

#169343 - 09/12/12 02:59 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
Centuryhouse Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Thank you Tom, I've been a member there for over a year now and up to 7-800 posts. smile Great place to kill time, my favorite place now, but expensive, I have bought a bunch of stoves thanks to those guys.

Hello from another Spiritburner member cool

I've been collecting on the Coleman side of things, but have started getting into backpacking and don't have any lightweight stoves yet. When money allows, I'll be looking.

#169349 - 09/12/12 09:25 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: Centuryhouse]
hikerduane Offline

They have too much info there, but it steers you away from bad stoves. Costs money in the other direction though when they talk up the good points. I'm lucky that I'm single and have no mortgage or car payments, just my credit card bill for stoves I acquired the previous month. I've slowed down buying stoves, when I get to thinking I've got all I want, I spot another I forgot about.
Duane

#169362 - 09/13/12 08:42 AM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have a couple of Taykits stoves. Any occupied place along the trail where I stop to make tea or food as soon as I pull that stove out I have an audience. It's not the lightest stove out there but it has never failed in any weather. also no parts to break.

#172266 - 11/22/12 08:52 PM Re: Old stoves used by climbers [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

There's gotta be a few old climbers who don't use their old gear anymore. On the lookout for a white pump still, even if it comes with a stove that I have to purchase. I need a yellow parts pump for the the check valve etc. Looking for an inexpensive Optimus 99 if it has the key, windscreen, pot gripper and the original Arno strap. My money lately has been going to getting my newer motorcycle setup for camping trips. Another option to getting out.
Duane

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum