Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165000 - 04/16/12 04:57 PM Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite
BadIdeaDan Offline

Hi, I am planning to backpack to this location this summer. Has anyone been there and can you direct me to the best camp sites in the basin? I am looking to plan out the camping location before I go. Thanks!

#165001 - 04/16/12 05:32 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: BadIdeaDan]
lori Offline

You will have to choose from the spots available the day you arrive. That is a popular destination. Remember that you can only have a fire at the lowest two lakes. That is where fishing is best, too.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#165002 - 04/16/12 05:49 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: BadIdeaDan]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
You can also get into 10Lakes Basin from White Wolf or Tuolumne Meadows - little longer but if the main trial permits are full you may be able to go in these alternate routes.

"Best" campsite is a subjective opinion. If "best" means peace and quiet, getting half mile or so off the trail is better than the standard campsites near the trail.

Arrive early enough at your destination so that you can scout out campsites. In a popular area like this, best sites may be alrady taken. If you bring a couple of 2.5 L Playtupus collapsable water containers you can camp farther from water sources if you find a beautiful site not adjacent to water.

#165004 - 04/16/12 07:02 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: lori]
BadIdeaDan Offline

Thanks, I was not aware about the fire restrictions. My goal is to visit each of the lakes. We will be there for 3 nights. Do you know if all of the lakes have fish?

#165005 - 04/16/12 07:03 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: wandering_daisy]
BadIdeaDan Offline

Peace and quiet would be great. I think we will want to be close to one of the fishable lakes. I will take your advice regarding arriving early. Thanks.

#165006 - 04/16/12 07:43 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: BadIdeaDan]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
If you are going to be there 3 nights, you can easily move camp to a better spot each night. The area is quite compact. Take an early day-hike and loop around all the lakes and then if you find a better spot, just move. I think you have to just try each lake for fish. Lower lakes more likely to have fish. Sounds like a fun trip.

#165010 - 04/16/12 10:09 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: BadIdeaDan]
lori Offline

Yosemite has a rule that you cannot build fires over 9,600 feet regardless so look at a map and you will see where you want to camp if you want a fire.

If you snag a site it would be simple to base camp for the duration and day hike around the whole basin - the lakes are not that far apart. And you could also go back over the pass and visit Grant Lakes into the bargain. Then you can come back and tell us where all the fish are. smile

#165011 - 04/16/12 10:33 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Gotta luv a woman who talks fish. smile
Our large group a few years back stayed at the far end of the big lake, fishing was ok in the AM before we left.
Duane

#165012 - 04/16/12 10:46 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: lori]
BadIdeaDan Offline

Yes, Grant Lakes are definately part of the equation. Wondering if I can off trail hike those direct fromt he basin or if we will have to take the long route. Think that is doable without climbing gear? Thanks for all the help.

#165013 - 04/16/12 11:13 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: hikerduane]
lori Offline

How to bring home your limit.
Go to Ten Lakes.
Fish the lower, largest lake in the morning and again about dinnertime. Throw back most of them. Eat 3 or 4. Next morning, keep about 10 of the best ones, find a remainder of a snowbank, pack cleaned fish in a ziplock, pack in bear can (dual use: ice chest) then carefully pack in top of your backpack.
Not pictured: the ranger who came along while we were packing it. Have wilderness permit and fishing license handy.
The bag limit for brook trout is about 10 per person.
Artificial lures only. Flies and a bobber, spincast, maybe a rooster tail or little Mepps for variety. Black ants, small beetles, parachute hopper or beadhead nymph work best on subalpine brookies.

Edited by lori (04/16/12 11:14 PM)

#165014 - 04/16/12 11:16 PM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: BadIdeaDan]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By BadIdeaDan
Yes, Grant Lakes are definately part of the equation. Wondering if I can off trail hike those direct fromt he basin or if we will have to take the long route. Think that is doable without climbing gear? Thanks for all the help.

mmmmm... don't count on the direct route. Go back on the trail. It will take less time.

#165015 - 04/17/12 01:09 AM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: lori]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Great stuff, Lori!

BTW, another trailhead that will get you into this same area is via Murphy Creek and the Polly Dome Lakes. It's one that rarely fills up, but the trail is lovely up around Tuolumne Peak and through the South Fork of Cathedral Creek. As Irecall it's about ten miles to Ten Lakes via this route...so a longer hike, with a lot more climbing and descending...but an easier permit. It would be posslbe to do this route as a through hike, starting at Murphy Creek, hiking to ten Lakes, then out via the Ten Lakes trailhead and catch the shuttle (or hitch a ride) back to Tenaya and your car at Murphy Creek...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#165108 - 04/19/12 12:45 AM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: lori]
BadIdeaDan Offline

Great advice. Thank you.

#165109 - 04/19/12 12:46 AM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: lori]
BadIdeaDan Offline

Nice, we had some great luck with the brook trout at Sunrise Lakes last year. It was a perfect trip. Hoping for the same at Ten Lakes this summer. Thanks a lot!

#165111 - 04/19/12 12:49 AM Re: Ten Lakes Basin Yosemite [Re: balzaccom]
BadIdeaDan Offline

Thanks, I already have the permit reservation (confirmation)! I usually have a group of 4 or 5 and like to plan the trip ahead so I book exactly 6 months ahead, the day it opens up. Not very spontaneous but I worry about such things.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum