Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164799 - 04/09/12 05:46 PM Gaiter Users
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Hey Guys,

I usually hike in long pants so don't use gaiters. I plan on hiking the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island this year and if you have seen phat's pictures, there is deep mud.

Ok, the REI website on the REI Trail Gaiters for $34.50 at 18" and the OR Verglas gaiters for $54 at 16.75. (I am six foot tall and all leg). They also have the OR Croc gaiters for $75.00. Other than this hike, I probably will not use the gaiters much. I hear some of you guys wax eloquence (sp?) about the OR gaiters. (I get a 20% discount if I order before April 15th) Do you still think the OR gaiters are worth it under these circumstances (and which ones)? Thanks for your input, OldScout

#164803 - 04/09/12 06:49 PM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: OldScout]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
You want one you can step back into like the OR's that velcro on the front - you do also wanna make sure they fit - if you have big legs you need to make sure they go around you.

Your other option would be the MEC Kokanee gore tex gaiter at $39 CDN. There is an MEC right downtown in Victoria, so if you are stopping there on the way (i.e. to pick up fuel if you've flown in) you can pick up a pair there. Just make sure you check the hours.

I end up using the MEC ones.

Note, if I wear full boots, I wear gaiters on this trail, but I have also done it in trail runners with just a mini-gaiter to keep the sticks out of my shoes. so ymmv. You're in puget sound anyway, so you're used to that sort of weather - you might do fine without.

Edited by phat (04/09/12 06:53 PM)
Browse my pictures

#164804 - 04/09/12 06:51 PM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: phat]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By phat

Your other option would be the MEC Kokanee gore tex gaiter at $39 CDN. There is an MEC right downtown in Victoria, so if you are stopping there on the way (i.e. to pick up fuel if you've flown in) you can pick up a pair there.

Of course if you're clever like my friend simon was accidentally, you get the package that someone has put two left foot gaiters in. only notice at the trailhead, hike WCT in the gaiters, then return them to MEC wink
Browse my pictures

#164805 - 04/09/12 06:57 PM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: OldScout]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I actually remembered to bring and put on my gaiters for a muddy coastal trail once (Olympic Peninsula). That was the year I slipped and sat down rather suddenly in the mud! laugh I scraped off what I could and let the rest dry on the remainder of the trip in. At our beach camp I changed into rain gear and rinsed off my hiking pants and shirt in the surf.

In other words, it's probably questionable whether any technique will for sure keep your clothes from getting muddy! Have a lightweight base layer along to wear inside the sleeping bag. Otherwise, a little good clean mud never hurt anybody! Do have some kind of plastic bag (even a shopping bag would do) to protect your tent from the muddy clothes.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/09/12 06:58 PM)

#164807 - 04/09/12 07:25 PM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: OldScout]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I like the OR Flex-tex softshell gaiters for most uses. They wet though eventually but keep dirt, debris and yes, mud out of my boottops. The Salamanders might be a better choice for unending rain, but I don't often see those conditions.

I also have Crocodiles but only use them occasionally, for deep snow. Which is to say, very seldom.

Cheers,

#164811 - 04/09/12 08:28 PM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Have a lightweight base layer along to wear inside the sleeping bag. Otherwise, a little good clean mud never hurt anybody! Do have some kind of plastic bag (even a shopping bag would do) to protect your tent from the muddy clothes.

Pretty much every campsite on west coast trail has ample water, along with ocean, and there lots of opportunity to give the pants a good rinse and scrub in the gravel/sand where it goes into the ocean. You might get muddy during the day but it's not too difficult to give it a good rinse once you get into camp, heck, slip your boots off and go for a quick wade and scrub. As long as you're wearing nylon pants that mostly dry quick it's not a big deal.

Browse my pictures

#164812 - 04/09/12 08:30 PM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: phat]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By phat

Pretty much every campsite on west coast trail has ample water, along with ocean, and there lots of opportunity to give the pants a good rinse and scrub in the gravel/sand where it goes into the ocean. You might get muddy during the day but it's not too difficult to give it a good rinse once you get into camp, heck, slip your boots off and go for a quick wade and scrub. As long as you're wearing nylon pants that mostly dry quick it's not a big deal.

And if you camp at cribs, if you go to the opposite side of the river (easy to walk across) from the toilets and bear boxes and walk down a little ways on the treeline, you find another stream with a large pool of black rocks that heats up real nice like if it's sunny out.. Hardly every anyone camps here and it's great.. if there's a fat hairy ugly naked man in the pool, don't worry, it's me wink
Browse my pictures

#164909 - 04/11/12 05:00 PM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: OldScout]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
OR Croc gaiters have their place (I own a pair) but they are way overkill for your situation. This is (or was) a lightweight site so I recommend that you get dirty:

Dirty Girls

I have used gaiters for many years and have learned to avoid the types that run anything under your shoe. Sooner or later it WILL wear out. Velcro on the heel types are lighter and simpler to use.

Caveat: There are exceptions to every rule, like the Crocs I use for mountaineering or snowshoeing.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#164910 - 04/11/12 05:52 PM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: Trailrunner]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I started backpacking as a mountaineer and always had gaiters because almost every trip ended up on snow. I just got used to gaiters. I feel naked withouth them! I have light short gaiters and heavy duty long gaiters. I wear low-cut hiking shoes and the gaiters keep my socks clean and pebbles out of my shoes. Particularly on dusty trails, I like to have gaiters. When crossing snow, keeps it out. I do a lot of early season hiking where I post-hole in snow. In mud pant legs stay cleaner. Big advantage of long gaiters in poison oak- gaiters stay outside the tent in the vestibule. Walking through tall grass with dew- keeps legs and feet dry. Bushwhacking- prevents tears and protects legs from prickers. Keeps out creepy crawlies- like ticks. I also wear tall gaiters with shorts. It is easier to rinse out gaiters than the hiking pants. In camp I lay a Platypus over my black gaiters and solar heat the water. My summer hiking pants are fairly light weight and the gaiters add warmth on cold mornings. The gaiters are 90% of the time on my legs and not in the pack on my back, so the extra weight is not a big issue with me. The gaiters + low cut hiking shoes are still lighter than boots.

#164914 - 04/11/12 06:35 PM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: wandering_daisy]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Thanks to all who gave their input and ideas. OldScout

#165061 - 04/18/12 12:58 AM Re: Gaiter Users [Re: OldScout]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Ditto on the flex softshell types. I wear running shoes so I always have gaiters....no rocks in the shoes! I may have some in my head tho....LOL.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum