Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163785 - 03/12/12 04:03 PM Nice way to dry sleeping bags
walksomewhere Offline

Loc: California
This is my first post here, so hello! Just wanted to tell you how A-frame ladders are great for air drying sleeping bags.

Okay, so you are fearful that washing your expensive sleeping bag will decrease the loft... so afraid, your bag has now become almost uninhabitable from the accumulated odor. The truth is that occasional washing, when done right, can renew the loft in your bag. REI offers an excellent guide on caring for sleeping bags, but I wanted to toss in just one tip on drying your bag.

Avoid using a machine dryer, unless the heat can be turned off entirely or you check the bag every few minutes. One of my friends borrowed my first sleeping bag and afterward, decided to "do me a favor" and wash and dry it. The bag literally melted to the inside of the dryer. Not good.

The method I prefer is good, old fashioned air drying. Depending what the temperature and cloud cover is like, this can take 4-12 hours, so consider it a project. I wash my bag once every thirty camp-nights or so and hang it to dry on an A-frame ladder. This allows me to angle the bag at the sun, and holds the bag open to air out.

I posted this same thing on my hiking blog:
http://www.walksomewhere.com/2012/03/cleaning-and-drying-sleeping-bags.html

#163786 - 03/12/12 04:13 PM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: walksomewhere]
HikerChick Offline

Loc: CA
Great idea! I usually just hang my bags on the clothes line a railing or fence and flip them over on occasion.

#163845 - 03/13/12 12:30 PM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: walksomewhere]
wandering_daisy Offline

You will never want to borrow my sleeping bag! I wash my bag about once every five years and am out well over 30 nights each year. I am lucky to have a large capacity dryer with a no-heat setting. But even at that, I still put it out in the sunshine to get that good smell. Great idea. But, be sure your ladder is clean! My outdoor yard ladder is not one I would use.

#163848 - 03/13/12 01:22 PM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I haven't had any trouble with using my dryer for my sleeping bag. However, I run it about 1 minute on low heat and then 4 minutes with no heat. That's enough to remove any dampness and fluff it up.

When I washed it, I used my DIL's large capacity (bigger than the laundromat) front loading washer and her large capacity dryer, on which low heat really is low! I followed to the letter the directions on the Western Mountaineering website and the bag ended up with more loft than when it was new!

Always feel inside the washer or dryer for snags before using it, unless you want a large collection of loose down!

You can tell when the bag needs washing when the loft diminishes and won't fluff up. That's usually due to an invasion of sweat, dirty, body oils.

When out backpacking, I generally decorate small conifer trees with my sleeping bag and wet socks, although I do take cord in case the trees remain wet.

#163858 - 03/13/12 04:20 PM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: walksomewhere]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
NM

Edited by Franco (03/14/12 06:21 PM)

#164358 - 03/23/12 12:45 PM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: walksomewhere]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Interesting. I have never had a truly wet sleeping bag so I just lay it out open on the couch for 24 hours when it is a bit damp. I have washed down bags and dried them in the dryer and that works okay as near as I can tell. Thanks for he tip.

#164437 - 03/26/12 02:41 PM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: walksomewhere]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Thanks for that tip. Great pix and website, BTW.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#164503 - 03/28/12 05:52 PM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: kevonionia]
walksomewhere Offline

Thanks for all the tips, and the compliment!

#164518 - 03/29/12 01:42 AM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: walksomewhere]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Good idea...even if you don't wash it. Mine usually need a good air drying after a trip in any case!

#164530 - 03/29/12 02:06 PM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: wandering_daisy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
wow daisy, you wash your bag every 5 years!!!!!

I washed a sleeping bag once, maybe 3 decades ago - don't use that one anymore.
Jim

#164549 - 03/29/12 05:42 PM Re: Nice way to dry sleeping bags [Re: walksomewhere]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I put some comments here than changed my mind because it sounded a bit negative but here I go again..
If you are drying a down bag, hanging a wet bag by the foot box like that can put too much pressure on the lower baffles causing them to fail.
A better way is to use something like a portable clothes line (or indeed a standard clothes line...) and drape it over that spreading the load.
(that is why you are meant to use the cotton bag to carry your wet sleeping bag from the tab to outside)
As a side note, a bag will dry faster black side to the sun.
Franco

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum