Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163628 - 03/09/12 07:20 PM BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone
Hikin Jim Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
Recently, I reviewed the Sidewinder Ti-Tri Caldera Cone and the BushBuddy Ultra. Today, I thought I'd do a quick comparison of the two.

Please join me as I compare a Sidewinder Ti-Tri Caldera Cone vs. a BushBuddy Ultra on today's Adventure in Stoving.

HJ

#163861 - 03/13/12 05:59 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
You do nice reviews, Jim. goodjob goodjob

thanks thanks

#163866 - 03/13/12 07:32 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: ringtail]
Hikin Jim Offline

Thanks, Ringtail.

People have been exceptionally kind in providing me material with which to do my reviews. There's no way I could review such a variety of stoves without help.

In this case the Ti-Tri Sidewinder Cone was provided by Randy N of Colorado and the BushBuddy was provided by Christian D of Ohio. Both stoves are good stoves and were a pleasure to use although I think the Ti-Tri came out ahead, particularly for non-wood use. Both stoves are now in the US Mail en route to their respective owners to whom I give my thanks.

HJ

#163879 - 03/14/12 09:37 AM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
You have my list of stoves. PM me if you want to review any of them.

Thanks again for your good work.

#163929 - 03/15/12 10:01 AM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I'll second what Ringtail said. Your reports are always informative. I may not always post up, but I read them all.

#163931 - 03/15/12 10:24 AM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: skcreidc]
Hikin Jim Offline

Thanks, guys.

I appreciate that last comment since sometimes when no one says anything I wonder if the report is going into the internet equivalent of the dust bin. smile

HJ

#163933 - 03/15/12 10:57 AM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
HJ writes stoves up? smile
Duane

#164083 - 03/17/12 07:34 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: hikerduane]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
I also read them all. I have even poked around the stoving site a good bit.

#164096 - 03/17/12 09:20 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: immortal.ben]
Hikin Jim Offline

Thanks, Ben.

See anything missing? Ideas for improvement? Always happy to try to improve if I can reasonably do it. I live in an apartment, so lab type benchmarking is out, but if there's a subject that isn't covered or something like that, please let me know.

HJ

#164102 - 03/18/12 12:20 AM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
immortal.ben Offline

Jim,

I cannot think of anything else you could cover for a guy like me. I am not yet backpacking at elevations above 12000ft so my Jetboil serves me well.

Also, I do not really have the room to store multiple stoves, so again, the Jetboil seems to be where its at for me, for now at least.

Once I get above 12000ft, I may look at having to get another type of stove, but that would mean some other personal possession has to go in order to make room....

#164106 - 03/18/12 08:03 AM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: immortal.ben]
Hikin Jim Offline

12,000 feet? I haven't heard of a "ceiling" for the Jetboil. There's no reason that I can think of that you can't use a JB above 12,000 feet. The piezoelectric ignition might fail, but hopefully you bring a lighter and matches anyway, yes?

HJ

#164109 - 03/18/12 11:51 AM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
immortal.ben Offline

The isobutane/propane fuel mix is very inefficient in really cold weather, which is what one should expect on the tops of very high mountain.

At least, that is what I have read. If I am wrong then I would sure like to hear about it.

#164110 - 03/18/12 11:58 AM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: immortal.ben]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
On the other hand, the lower pressure at higher altitudes enhances performance (the ability of the liquid gas to vaporize). Canister have performed well at altitude on many occasions. On the one occasion when I was at altitude for an extended period, we used liquid fuel stoves because of easier logistics.

#164121 - 03/18/12 04:31 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: oldranger]
immortal.ben Offline

It is my understanding that the colder the iso/butane mix, one part of the fuel burns, leaving the other part of the fuel in the can.

I become more confused about this as I read more and more on the subject. I have seen video Jetboil used on Everest above 17000ft, which confuses me even more.

All I REALLY know is that mine has been reliable and convenient for me so far.

Edited by immortal.ben (03/18/12 04:31 PM)

#164129 - 03/18/12 07:54 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: immortal.ben]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I believe that is correct, which is why a canister should be your bed partner (as opposed to other potentially more desirable options) when temperatures plummet. As the environment cools, liquid fuel stoves are more and more practical. With white gas, I don't have to worry my pretty little head with all the variables inherent with canisters - and I am a definite fan of canister stoves in more temperate conditions. I don't think I will be cooking at 17,000 feet anytime soon.

Edited by oldranger (03/18/12 07:55 PM)

#164139 - 03/18/12 11:13 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: oldranger]
immortal.ben Offline

Thanks, oldranger. That is basically what I thought I had learned so far. I do hope to be camping at those elevations within the next year so I want to gather as much knowledge as I can before hand.

#164154 - 03/19/12 12:57 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: immortal.ben]
Hikin Jim Offline

OK, so here's the deal, in step-by-step form:

1. Choose good gas. For weather below 50F/10C, don't get butane. Get a propane - isobutane mix. I've got all the major US brands evaluated on my blog: What's the Best Brand of Gas for Cold Weather? Above 50F/10C, it typically doesn't matter what brand you buy.

2. Know your limits. Propane-isobutane mixes work reasonably well down to about 20F at sea level. Want to know why? See Gas Blends and Cold Weather Performance. Canisters get colder as you use them which can negatively impact performance. See item #4, below, for how to compensate for canister chilling.

3. Adjust for Altitude. The higher you go, the lower the outside pressure. The lower the outside pressure, the colder you can operate a canister gas stove. You gain approximately a 2F degree colder advantage per 1000' of gain (about 1C per 300m gain).

4. Use good technique. Basically, start with a warm canister and keep the canister warm. I've got a "best practices" write up on my blog: Cold Weather Tips for Gas Stoves.

There in a nutshell is how to deal with cold weather and adjust for altitude for canister gas stoves.

HJ

#164161 - 03/19/12 06:08 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
immortal.ben Offline

Super-groovy and succinct, Jim! Thanks for the links.

#164163 - 03/19/12 07:22 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: immortal.ben]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By immortal.ben
Super-groovy
Wow, I don't get that kind of feedback every day. lol.

HJ

#164213 - 03/20/12 06:08 PM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: Hikin Jim]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Wow, Jim, you really are a stove freak. But, I sure appreciate all the unbiased info when looking at stoves. thanks

#164244 - 03/21/12 01:58 AM Re: BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone [Re: finallyME]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
Wow, Jim, you really are a stove freak.
Who, me? smile

HJ

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 280 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum