Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163665 - 03/10/12 02:56 PM rock gardening
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I started my first rock garden about two and a half millenia ago, with some grains of sand I received from Gautama Buddha. I nurtured them, adhering to a strict regimen of hard water. By the time I'd been reincarnated for the 64th time, my rock garden now has pebbles in it. It'll be some time before I achieve river stones. I knew someone who cheated and collected some river rocks in 321 AD, but that really messed with his karma: some farmer took them to use for a wall.

#163697 - 03/11/12 01:39 PM Re: rock gardening [Re: Jimshaw]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
So ... you have the rake and everything? Very zen of you (of course I am VERY gullible and you may not even HAVE a rock garden). A lava flow does not a rock garden make.

#163709 - 03/11/12 03:56 PM Re: rock gardening [Re: skcreidc]
Jimshaw Offline

Well actually I do not rake the lava flow, just to make that clear. smile Ok I was reading about rock gardening and I plagered the lines cause I was laughing so hard. grin

And my rock gardens are not Zen gardens alas - they are full of rocks however. I remember when we bought this place and had no idea that there were any gardens here. I started raking 3 years worth of pine needles aside and I said to my wife - It looks like vandals have thrown tons of rock into the flower beds. Why would someone do that? Then a Botanist friend came over and went nuts when she saw that it was a rock garden full of sort of rare rock plants, like the ones you see in bloom sometimes when backpacking along scree.

So my rock garden actually has dirt and plant roots between the rocks. The real plant is under the rock where its protected, and leaves and flowers pop out around the rock in the summer. One thing is that you need poor soil with sharp edged sand in it, or rather sand with a bit of dity in it.

Jim
Now my driveway is full of cinders and I DO rake that!!!

#163784 - 03/12/12 03:54 PM Re: rock gardening [Re: Jimshaw]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
You are doing a lot better than me, Jim. I've been reincarnating for over 6,000 years and I can't even make my own dust yet.

#163787 - 03/12/12 04:19 PM Re: rock gardening [Re: Gershon]
HikerChick Offline

Loc: CA
Lucky for you a botanist friend came by and you were able to improve on your rock garden. Like the saying goes when life hands you lemons, make lemonade. Like wise when you find your garden full of rocks, make a lovely rock garden. wink

#163793 - 03/12/12 05:00 PM Re: rock gardening [Re: HikerChick]
Jimshaw Offline

Hikerchick
One of the neighbors told me that there used to bus loads of people coming to see the gardens on my property. I sure wish I knew what they looked like then so I might have a chance in my restoration project. I fear that if I can restore it all it may take several years. Some of the rare plants have escaped the gardens though and grow along the street and up in the lava flow. I have about 4 colors of penstamens in one area and lots of indian paintbrush along the sandy edge of the flow. The very first crocus and affodil tips are popping up now.

The idea or rock garddening is to provide a substitute environment for plants that normally live on steep rocky mountain sides. Those brilliant flowers that stand out in the rocks are the subject. Many of the plats only seen on deep backpack excursions may grow in gardens like mine. Its really hard to identify the plants because the seeds for the North American Rock Gardening society come from all over the globe.

I will have to join, buy seed in the annual seed drive, then start them inside and transplant into the rock garden. I have 2 eidelveis plants - I hope they come up this spring. One thing I did was spread bone meal over the bulb beds.

Jim

#164189 - 03/20/12 12:02 PM Re: rock gardening [Re: Jimshaw]
HikerChick Offline

Loc: CA
Hey Jim,
It sounds like your place used to be quite the attraction with the awesome rock gardens. Way cool! Is there any way you can contact the previous owners of the property and pick their brains a bit or see some pictures of the gardens in all their glory?
We were able to do just that when my boyfriend bought his remote property. The prior owner shared her photo album with us, and even lent me a couple of really old historic pictures she had acquired from past owners that I was able to copy and blow up.

#164242 - 03/21/12 12:57 AM Re: rock gardening [Re: HikerChick]
Jimshaw Offline

HC
I purchased the estate of the deceased master gardener.
Jim

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum