Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163965 - 03/15/12 08:19 PM 10 most important desert camping facts
Dyingjohnnie Offline

Loc: SLC, Utah
GO!

#163967 - 03/15/12 08:51 PM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: Dyingjohnnie]
Banjopickin Offline

Loc: NC
1. cactus' are not good toilet paper shocked

Edited by Banjopickin (03/15/12 08:51 PM)

#163969 - 03/15/12 09:43 PM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: Dyingjohnnie]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I think it depends on what you mean by "desert". I think that few camp in true desert. Folks often refer to the first 700 miles of the PCT as "the desert", but it's not --- it is dry, water is an issue, etc, but still.

As far as "relatively hot, dry" backpacking areas, there are lots of tips out there if you do even a hasty search. Here's one good example, one that I pretty much entirely agree with. Some others include this one, and this one. There are surely more.

I don't mean to cut off discussion with the above (!), but also see no sense in regurgitating old chestnuts that are already well defined --- i.e., more interesting IMO to discuss in the context of an existing base of knowledge. For example, I think there can be some debate over the merits of long-sleeved loose clothing vs. going in shorts and t-shirt (I favor the former). Or the right type of water containers, or use of inflatable mattresses or not, or concerns about snakes when night hiking, or use of an umbrella or not, etc etc.

#163970 - 03/15/12 09:59 PM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: BrianLe]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I could not come up with a top 10 list for anything to save my life. Even top 10 beers would be a struggle. I agree with Brian that this discussion would benefit from a little focus because the topic is a little broad. So.......

Best time to go backpacking in the desert? Fall, Winter, and Spring. Cooler temps, the snakes are not out as much (but if it is warm they will be out), and in Spring there are the flowers.

#163986 - 03/16/12 09:02 AM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: Dyingjohnnie]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
I like water and trees too much to venture into the desert.

#163993 - 03/16/12 09:26 AM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: Dyingjohnnie]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
What deserts are you talking about? It does matter. Are you talking about the high deserts that are west of you in Utah, or the ones that are near the Grand Canyon?

#164000 - 03/16/12 12:33 PM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: finallyME]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Finallyme beat me too it. Not to get too touchy-feely about it but each area has its own feel and rhythm; you know, stuff like when the rains come. Because if there is anything important to know about desert backpacking, its understanding your water sources. Don't be expecting to extract water from prickly pear using a solar still after a prolonged dry period.

I personally really enjoy the deserts. They can be very raw and magical places.

#164017 - 03/16/12 02:33 PM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: BrianLe]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I think it depends on what you mean by "desert".

The scientific definition I have heard is very precise, but unless you have the correct data it won't be very helpful:

A desert is any area where the potential for evaporation is 1300% of the average precipitation.

#164022 - 03/16/12 04:32 PM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: aimless]
Tye Offline

Loc: Texas
#2 When you hear thunder in July/August, make damn sure you get out of that washout quickly.

#3 Those lightning storms are beautiful... from a distance. Up close and personal, not so beautiful.

Edited by Tye (03/16/12 04:33 PM)

#164024 - 03/16/12 05:20 PM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: Dyingjohnnie]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
1. Know your desert. Read up on it before you go. Plan accordingly.

2. Check weather. It can be cold and hot in the same 24 hours.

3. Have portable shade at all times (umbrella, poncho shelter,etc).

4. Wear white, long sleeves, cotton blend shirts.

5. Never trust water reports, even on the same day.

6. File a flight plan with someone. A national park camping permit is not a flight plan.

7. Learn the prominent plants in the area.

8. Tweezers/pliers. (nuff said)

9. If hiking, go slow. It's a macro environment and lots of cool desert things are small and you might miss them.

10. If car camping...chill, lay in some shade all day, and soak in the solitude. You should be able to hear the soda/beer bubbles in your mouth like a distant applause.

#164038 - 03/16/12 08:18 PM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
You would be surprised by how many people drown in the desert - usually from flash floods. Depending upon your desert and location, there are also some really phenomenal trees, both large and small. It's just simply that there are not a lot of trees all crowded together.

I find this to be a fairly odd thread in that it is lumping together many,many different environments and ecosystems under one generic term. Consider "10 most important mountain camping facts." What would you make of a question like that?

Edited by oldranger (03/16/12 08:18 PM)

#164105 - 03/18/12 02:33 AM Re: 10 most important desert camping facts [Re: oldranger]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
I live and backpack in the Sonoran Desert. Some of my ten things here are different than my ten things I would pick backpacking in the mountains of Colorado again.

1. Lots of extra water. I hike where there might be no pooled water for miles and miles. Just did it a couple of days ago, in fact. Three of us went in with a minimum of 6 liters each... it was not enough. Heckuva story though...
2. Good topo map. I did not need this so much in Colorado because pooled water was not hard to find there. Here you need the topo in order to plan a relatively easy route to a possible water source.
3. Hat (mine is a very thin, white cotton ballcap) and a triangle bandage (military cravat from medic kit) for shade to the ears and neck.
4. A Lighter (on all of my lists)
5.Trekking poles (on all of my lists)
6. A quality, full tang, fixed blade knife. (on all of my lists)
7. A hiking partner (more important to me here than elsewhere, AND this does not make my pack any heavier!)
8. The ability to disinfect the nasty, horrible, fetid water I do need to drink out here.
9. Knowledge of the area I am heading into. Whether first-hand from a friend or via internet/books.

I could not come up with a 10th item. Oh well.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum