Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163715 - 03/11/12 04:12 PM A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up...
BradMT Offline

Have gone through 3 other P&S digi's in the last 7 years, and settled on a Cannon.

I've researched these pretty heavily, and since they're being discontinued, scored a good deal I thought I'd pass along via my month's of deliberation.

The best deal I could find ($149 locally):

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/279663/Canon-PowerShot-ELPH-300-HS-121/?cm_mmc=Mercent-

Phenomenal reviews from B&H where I get most of my stuff:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753773-REG/Canon_5096B001_Powershot_300_HS_Digital.html

cnet review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-elph-300/4505-6501_7-34505047.html?tag=bc

dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/2/7/canonixus220hs

digitalcamera review:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4680&review=canon+powershot+300+hs

#163717 - 03/11/12 04:44 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: BradMT]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
It looks nice but I still haven't seen anything to sway me from my ancient Pentax Optio 33WR.

Pros
Uses AA batteries that seem to last forever. I've never had to replace batteries on a one week vacation.

Water resistant. Supposedly 3 feet for 30 minutes although I haven't tested it. Rain hasn't hurt it though.

Used it in sub-zero temps (-20 to -40) in Alaska. Of course I kept it in an inner pocket most of the time, but being out a few minutes caused no harm.

Pocket size.

2.8x internal optical zoom

A 1G SD card is enough for hundreds of photos.

Fairly fast to power on.

Cons
Would like image stabilization. Not usually a problem but occasionally would like it.

Would like a larger screen. This old one is about 1.5 inches diagonal (small).

In-betweens
3.3MP is plenty for up to 5x7 photos. Full page are OK but not great. Most of my photos are less than half page so this works for me.

Could be a little lighter but I don't think the new cameras are significantly better.

Could be a little smaller but again, new cameras don't seem to be much better here either.

#163718 - 03/11/12 04:56 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: PerryMK]
BradMT Offline

Perry, the above has a 5x optical zoom and image stabilization, screen is larger, photos are far crisper at 12 MP (I'd still prefer 10) and no waterproof camera competes image-wise with a quality non-waterproof camera. I'd wager this rechargable battery lasts as long or longer than your AA's.

In all my years using cameras in the backcountry, starting in the early 1970's, I've never needed a waterproof camera.

If you're looking to upgrade (no real reason you should as you report) this is about as good a camera/deal around.

#163719 - 03/11/12 05:15 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: BradMT]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
A timely thread, as my camera decided it's done and ready to retire this weekend. I checked the link out, and I'm sold.

Just one problem, Brad.

I don't have the money.

Maybe later, though if this is a closeout I'll have to find a different one.

#163722 - 03/11/12 05:52 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: Barefoot Friar]
BradMT Offline

Barefoot Friar (love the handle. A Fanciscan?)... my bet is deals on this camera will be around a few months and might even get better.

Best,

Brad

#163723 - 03/11/12 06:09 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: BradMT]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By BradMT
I've never needed a waterproof camera.

Clearly you don't possess the innate clumsiness that is I. smile

#163727 - 03/11/12 07:46 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: BradMT]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
just ordered one on ebay for my wife for $159 delivered, suppose I'll end up buying memory but thats cheap on ebay too. I'm pretty jazzed about it coming but she says it will stay in her purse, BUT --- shes always losing her purse and leaving it places where I can remove the camera unnoticed.
Jim

#163728 - 03/11/12 07:48 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: BradMT]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Originally Posted By BradMT
Barefoot Friar (love the handle. A Fanciscan?)...

So I don't derail the thread any, I'll send you to my blog.

I was looking at Best Buy at some Canon cameras yesterday, but the reviews all said that the time between pressing the button and the actual photo shot was too long. So I'm still looking around. I want one that's quick enough that I don't have moss grow on me before I get the picture taken.

My sister and my girlfriend both have dSLRs that are amazing... Way too heavy, though, for what I want to do. I think a simple point and shoot, with 12mp or higher, will do the trick. Well, and getting my sister to part with her camera even for an overnight would be next to impossible. ;-) Cheaper just to buy my own!

#163732 - 03/11/12 08:04 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: Barefoot Friar]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have the Cannon Powershot S95 and like it. The lag time is still there but it weighs 8 oz (with case)so still is a small camera. It shoots RAW format as well as JPG. It has a good lense and sensor so I get really nice photos - still 10 megapixels. I do not intend on making large prints. I got a HUGE upgraded memory chip ( you need this for RAW format). It was about $400 - so not cheap. Weight and bulk was a big concern of mine, or else I would have gone for the Rebel. My only gripe is that it does not have a viewfinder. Few point-and-shoot cameras do anymore. I have used it one year now and can definitely see the improvement in photos.

#163739 - 03/11/12 08:58 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: Barefoot Friar]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By Barefoot Friar

I was looking at Best Buy at some Canon cameras yesterday, but the reviews all said that the time between pressing the button and the actual photo shot was too long. So I'm still looking around. I want one that's quick enough that I don't have moss grow on me before I get the picture taken.

Reviews are interesting... I suppose some of it depends on your previous experience. If you're a DSLR user, I could see how you may find it slow. I've owned nothing but top-end Panasonics (most of which were more expensive than the Canon I've referenced) and the Canon is absolutely no slower. In fact, I wouldn't even have thought of it had you not mentioned it, and I'm a stickler for slow shutter speed.

But my training is old-school in the darkroom, so perhaps I'm a bit of a luddite.

#163740 - 03/11/12 09:00 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: wandering_daisy]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I have the Cannon Powershot S95 and like it. The lag time is still there but it weighs 8 oz (with case)so still is a small camera. It shoots RAW format as well as JPG. It has a good lense and sensor so I get really nice photos - still 10 megapixels. I do not intend on making large prints. I got a HUGE upgraded memory chip ( you need this for RAW format). It was about $400 - so not cheap. Weight and bulk was a big concern of mine, or else I would have gone for the Rebel. My only gripe is that it does not have a viewfinder. Few point-and-shoot cameras do anymore. I have used it one year now and can definitely see the improvement in photos.

You've just dated yourself "no viewfinder"... I still find that an issue. But only occasionally. Even a luddite can adapt laugh

#163741 - 03/11/12 09:06 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: Barefoot Friar]
BradMT Offline

PS Joshua, I'll take some time to read your blog and thank you for your answer. While I was raised Lutheran, I met Jesus Christ on the Appalachian Trail in 1977 when I called on him (after an encounter with a Hare Krishna). Subsequently a born-again Catholic Priest took me under his wing in my home town and I gained a real appreciation for, especially, the Desert Fathers. I still have a copy of the Philokalia on my shelf (among others) and if you've never read The Way Of A Pilgrim, you're missing a great blessing.

My wife is a genuine Worship Leader... not the "bless me" type, but someone genuinely called of God to do what she does.

I guess since this is my thread I can sidetrack it laugh

Kindest Regards,

Brad

#163753 - 03/12/12 08:40 AM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: BradMT]
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
I just bought a camera and spent a lot of time researching as well. One feature that I wanted was a manual mode, which is pretty uncommon in small cameras under $300. I almost bought the Canon Powershot S230hs, as it got really good reviews. The only issue was its reportably very short battery life. And then it became unavailable on amazon, so I ended up buying a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10. I am really happy with it - very quick shutter response and nice clear photos, even indoors. It's got quite a bit more zoom than the one you posted, at 16x, so it is undoubtedly bigger. But it can still fit in a pocket pretty well, and is much smaller than my old megazoom Kodak camera. It's supposed to be $350 but has been selling for around $200. I'll be taking it on its first trip this week, so we'll see how it does.

#163755 - 03/12/12 09:21 AM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: BradMT]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I got a powershot for Christmas. I think my wife said that she got it on sale for around $100. I am not sure of the exact model, but the specs look similar. I will check when I get home. Of course, I bought her a T2i with an 18-135mm lens. I told her that I wouldn't take her camera backpacking so was planning to get a small P&S that could take 1080p video. 1080p uses a TON of memory. I recently picked up a 16GB SD card for that reason. Make sure and pick up a class 10 card if you want to do a lot of video. So far, the powershot has the same video performance as the T2i. I can't refocus during shooting, like the T2i, but the quality is the same. Since this is an outdoor activity only camera, the still shots are really good with natural lighting. Anyways, I really like it so far, and think it is a great backpacking camera.

#163757 - 03/12/12 09:23 AM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: palameto]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By palameto
I just bought a camera and spent a lot of time researching as well. One feature that I wanted was a manual mode, which is pretty uncommon in small cameras under $300. I almost bought the Canon Powershot S230hs, as it got really good reviews. The only issue was its reportably very short battery life. And then it became unavailable on amazon, so I ended up buying a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10. I am really happy with it - very quick shutter response and nice clear photos, even indoors. It's got quite a bit more zoom than the one you posted, at 16x, so it is undoubtedly bigger. But it can still fit in a pocket pretty well, and is much smaller than my old megazoom Kodak camera. It's supposed to be $350 but has been selling for around $200. I'll be taking it on its first trip this week, so we'll see how it does.

The Canon replaced my 14.1 MP/8x Optical Zoom Panasonic DMC-ZR3... my biggest grip with the Panasonic was how soft the image was out around the edges. It really aggravated me. It was almost as small as the Canon, but so far I prefer the image quality of the Canon.

#163776 - 03/12/12 02:10 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: BradMT]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
While I'm not going to try to move this thread (I'm away from home on an unfamiliar computer), I would like to point out that there is a section on this forum on photography and photographic equipment, with lots of posts on this very subject! It's located down the page on the Forum List, between "Backcountry Topics" and "Other Backcountry Activities."

I sure hope my current camera lasts a while longer! I absolutely will not use a camera without a viewfinder! It seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird. I have not yet seen an LCD screen that is visible in bright light. There's also the issue of batteries, which last many times longer when you turn off the LCD screen and use the viewfinder. We're talking the difference between a set of batteries lasting a day vs. lasting a week here!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/12/12 02:14 PM)

#163790 - 03/12/12 04:41 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Mouse
I just went out to buy some 35mm film for my canon A1 and they just gave me dumb looks. Sure glad I collected a nice set of lenses for my SLR though, its a nice dust collector for the mantlepiece. Maybe I can sell it as an antique?
Jim

#163834 - 03/13/12 09:35 AM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If it is a cannon EOS SLR, then the lenses will work on the newer digital SLR's. I don't know if Nikon is in the same boat. If the SLR is older than the EOS, then you are out of luck. You can still take 35mm film shots. It just might be harder and harder to find the film, and someone to process it.

#164027 - 03/16/12 06:26 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: finallyME]
mike220 Offline

Loc: Seattle
Most of the drug stores, Wallgreens, Bartells etc have film.

I just bought color and BW film last week for my early 80's vintage Canon A1. The daughters in a fhotography class and she is using my digital along with the schools DSLRs, thought she needed to take some photos with out the instant image.

Pictures came out as good or better after developing, mostly luck, but it was amazing. I have some old lenses with really good Fstops and she took some excellent depth of field shots.

The old A1 is pretty much a paper weight now, but it was fun.

#164034 - 03/16/12 07:25 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: mike220]
BradMT Offline

My film camera is an old Nikon FM... 35mm Nikkor lens ala Cartier Bresson. My son is in his first year of University and is currently using it... photog teacher freaked out when he walked in with the FM... it's his favorite camera.

#164036 - 03/16/12 07:47 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: BradMT]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Film isnt dead yet but mark my words it is going. Remember 8track and cassettes? The day is coming soon . I to have many lenses for my old canon camers. Thankfully the best were for my eos elans and fit my digital slr as well. Wife said last night they just lost the there other xray film in smaller sizes at work. It is forcing even clinics to digitalise!

OM is right this should have been located elswhere. If you want film buy it and store properly. Maybe buy and sell on ebay later. Might bring big bucks? Hmm

#164039 - 03/16/12 08:44 PM Re: A Good Backcountry Camera Head's Up... [Re: Kent W]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W

OM is right this should have been located elswhere.

Good grief. This is a piece of light gear. This is the light gear forum. Don't want to read it, don't open it. VERY simple.

Do agree about film though... it's at its best as an art medium ala darkroom.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum