Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163177 - 03/02/12 10:23 PM Taking a poll: What is you base weight
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
What is the base weight of you backpack when you go out on a multi-day trip? I'd like to take a poll here and I'll do some arithmetic and figure out (and report here) the average and the range. I think it is interesting because it might give you (and me) an idea or relative differences. I'm not considering body weights at this time, that would complicate a bit too much.

#163178 - 03/02/12 10:30 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Mine is between 10.5 and 12 lb depending on the temperatures I anticipate and whether rain is likely. This, of course, does not include a bear canister.

#163179 - 03/02/12 10:37 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Summer: 9.4 lbs
Winter (sub-zero): 17.5 lbs.

#163181 - 03/02/12 10:56 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: DTape]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
6,934 grams. (14 lb)

#163184 - 03/02/12 11:05 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I never know exactly what I am supposed to exclude from "base weight", so I always just think in terms of how much does my pack weigh when I walk away from the trailhead. Because so far as I can see, no one ever carries their "base weight" on an actual hike - they always carry something heavier than that. smile

#163189 - 03/03/12 01:18 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You exclude from base weight the consumables--water, fuel, food--whose weight varies with the length of the trip. However, I notice that most published gear lists, especially those at the UL end of the spectrum, omit a camera, even when they publish pictures of their trip! There is also the issue of a few other items whose weight varies according to the length of the trip (which base weight does not). In my case it's some extra toiletries that I require for medical reasons, which add up to almost a pound and a half on a 10-day trip. I suppose one could also include in consumables items like sunscreen and bug repellent, where you also take more for a longer trip, but that's getting, IMHO, a bit nit-picky. I don't think anyone empties out a dropper bottle containing several days worth of sunscreen for an overnighter.

Anyway, the theory is that base weight remains fixed regardless of the length of trip, while consumables vary. Therefore only the base weight is comparable to others because it is the same regardless of how many days you go out. As an ex-accountant, I prefer to call them "fixed weight" and "variable weight."

My base weight, without camera (to be comparable to the UL folks), is 10.7 pounds. This is for trips at high altitude in the northern Rockies, when it often freezes at night and can snow in July and August. I would take a little less for the Cascades in the height of summer, but probably no more than half a pound . Add in camera (with extra batteries) and fishing gear, and I'm up to 12.1 pounds.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/03/12 01:20 AM)

#163191 - 03/03/12 02:00 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
12 for my wife, and 15 for me. Those include me carrying the bear box, because we always hike in areas that require them.

and it includes an extra Zrest for my wife, and we each carry Crocs.

Drop those things, and we are down around 10 for her, and 12 for me

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#163193 - 03/03/12 05:51 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
14 pounds, summer. 18 pounds, winter.

#163195 - 03/03/12 08:34 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
Well, I am almost ashamed to post it, but I still have a ways to go.. I am pretty new to the lightweight mindset. Right now mine calculated (possible that I left a few small things out) is 16.9lb. 4lb of that is my pack.

#163196 - 03/03/12 09:11 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: palameto]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
My base weight 3 season, this is if carrying my fleece and down vest is 13pounds 9 oz. Most of my hiking is in spring when I have he time. Summer weight would easily be 2 to 2.5 pounds lighter? I weighed with fleece and vest in pack as unless very cold conditions I would be carrying it. In very wet weather I would carry second rain fly for my Hammock to ensure I would stay dry. That would be about 1 more pound. There are allot of variables.
Bye the way I credit my base weight being this low to this forum!

Edited by Kent W (03/03/12 09:13 AM)

#163198 - 03/03/12 09:20 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Kent W]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
With my new jacket and my lightest setup, my base is around 13 pounds for 3 season. Winter is around 18.

#163200 - 03/03/12 09:37 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: skcreidc]
Kent W Offline

I just realised I had a full fuel canister in pack for my next trip too when I weighed it. My scale has them at 13 oz so knock that off my weight.

#163203 - 03/03/12 10:07 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
My base for my upcoming trip in a couple weeks will be right at 20 lbs. But that includes a pack and sleeping bag that I want to replace eventually, swapping them for lighter models. Other than that, I don't foresee dropping any more weight for shoulder seasons, unless I find a fleece pullover that's lighter than the one I'm using now.

Summer weights (assuming a trip here in the southeastern US) are about 4lbs lighter, once you take out base layer, fleece and toboggan, and swap the sleeping bag for something a lot cooler. I could also go to a much smaller, lighter pack in summer, if I had one.

But considering I started at about 50lbs, I'm pretty darn pleased.

Edited by Barefoot Friar (03/03/12 10:07 AM)

#163204 - 03/03/12 10:14 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
12 - 20 pounds, depending very much on where and when I'm going. Higher weights are for winter or early/late shoulder seasons or otherwise relatively severe conditions. Lightest weights tend to be trips where I don't anticipate a lot of rain (or other precip).

Further muddying the waters is that I think that sometimes folks will go out on a base-camping or other low (with a full backpack) mileage trips that aren't necessarily their norm, but include a higher base weight for camp comfort or the like.

For what I would call "3-minus" season trips (late spring, summer, early fall), my base weight tends to be in the 13 - 16 pound range, perhaps that's an answer that fits better with what you're asking (?).

#163205 - 03/03/12 10:21 AM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: aimless]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"... so I always just think in terms of how much does my pack weigh when I walk away from the trailhead. Because so far as I can see, no one ever carries their "base weight" on an actual hike - they always carry something heavier than that."

Agreed, or at least agreed assuming that you and I are using the same common definition for terms like base weight, skin-out weight, etc.

I would be highly doubtful of results reported in the way that we're doing it on this thread. I'm not saying that folks are intentionally dishonest (!), but in general when I see someone give their actual gear list with specific weights included, it's very common for me to end up with the feeling that the list is not complete. "Where's the first aid kit?" "Do you plan to brush your teeth?" "Do you use toilet paper or just snow or smooth rocks and such?" Etc etc. In some cases a very lean-looking gear list reflects a true ultralight approach; in practice I think it more commonly represents things that the person didn't remember to include. Or they're stuffing their pockets so full that we really should be talking about skin-out weight! wink

#163214 - 03/03/12 12:30 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
12 pounds, but that is with separate sleeping clothes, hammock and comfortable down to 20. I can do 8 if I am willing to sleep on the ground in my hiking clothes (yuck).

#163217 - 03/03/12 02:02 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I do not like these broad surveys. Exactly what is base weight is not defined. Do you exclude stuff carried in your pockets? If you exclude the clothes you wear, what exactly is counted as "worn". I change clothes all the time during a trip based on the temperatures. Climate makes a huge difference. I use a 5-degree sleeping bag because I camp near 12,000 feet elevation and often encounter low-20's even in August. And there are no trees up there for hammocks or tarps. If I am out for 20 days in a very remote location, I am going to take some repair gear that I do not take on a weekend trip. Where I hike, a bear cannister is almost always required so it is part of base weight. What about your GPS- these are about 6 ounces or more and I do not think the UL people count this (supposedly because it is attached to their belt or shoulder strap. A lot of us fish. Do we count our fishing gear?

To me base weight should also include the clothing you wear because although it is not on your back you have to haul it uphill too. And what about water? Most people always carry at least a half liter of water. I am probably one of the few here who actually do not carry much water.

All said, my base weight in my pack excluding consumables ranges from 18-20 pounds. This allows me to be safe in 2 weeks, remote areas, at high altitude in crappy weather - not a usual condition, but a very plausible one that I have been in more than once. I do not think I have been through a season without getting snowed on several times. I have certainly done less for a short weekend trip, but that is not my normal trip.

#163218 - 03/03/12 02:18 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: BrianLe]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I totally agree! I hardly know anyone who does not add a thing or two not on his "ideal list", before heading down the trail. I do think that a lot of people do not count all that "little stuff". All my misc little stuff adds up to about a pound.

It is good to work on going lighter. I have been doing that for years. But it is not a contest. You take what you need to be safe and enjoy your trip. I DO give myself a limit of about one pound for "goodies". Sometimes it is a book, sometimes fishing gear, sometimes a down vest (not necessary but just nice to have on cold mornings), sometimes wine! The point is I have to pick and choose, cannot take ALL my goodies ALL of the time.

#163219 - 03/03/12 03:08 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: wandering_daisy]
Kent W Offline

WD I do not count the stuff in my pockets or clothes I carry the same knifes etc every day. I count my fleece and vest as when Hiking we build heat and they would be in pack. But you are right the spectrum is broad.I think big three is maybe a better judge. It really doesnt matter what we take we gotta haul it! My bag 20 deg. pack hammock and pad are 7 lbs 8 oz and that includes diy underliner for hammock as well.

#163221 - 03/03/12 03:27 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: wandering_daisy]
skcreidc Offline

I would have to agree that the poll is rather vague. For instance, my lightest base weight does not include a bear canister which would put the weight closer to 16 lbs rather than 13. But I include all the little pocket things, cause I don't carry them in my pocket to start. Fishing gear is out as well. And for winter, I am talking being comfortable in the mountains of the South west US, NOT Canada. The only times I have done serious winter stuff, I didn't weight anything; I just said I need this, I need that, ect. ect. and loaded it all up. Except when with my dad. He just told me what to bring and double checked for it grin.

#163224 - 03/03/12 05:08 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: wandering_daisy]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Of course every situation requires some thought and weights vary a great deal depending on circumstances. The system is complex and how the parts of the system interact is impossible to predict. No two trips are the same, even on the same trail. You can not predict how you will feel, the weather, or how much of your lunch the squirrels will eat. But it is fun to look at approximations and consider where you might stand in the broad scope of things. From this small sample I'm thinking those who contributed are certainly in the lowest 10% or so. See my graph attached.

Attachments
bell curve standard3.jpg

#163225 - 03/03/12 05:47 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
skcreidc Offline

So Pliny...where did the rest of the data come from? That bell curve looks more theoretical than realistic; so how did you develop it? Just curious. Some of the base weights are way heavier than even my Boy Scout days! I would have to say if you are hauling around more than 50 lbs base weight, then you are counting food or hauling some major equipment with you.

Edited by skcreidc (03/03/12 05:49 PM)

#163227 - 03/03/12 05:57 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: Jim M]
BradMT Offline

If you're worried about "base weights" you're not fit to do the hike IME.

#163228 - 03/03/12 06:45 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: BradMT]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
If you'd like a bit more weight, I could slip a rock or two into your pack. A really fit guy wouldn't mind, I'm sure! wink

#163229 - 03/03/12 06:49 PM Re: Taking a poll: What is you base weight [Re: aimless]
skcreidc Offline

Quote:
If you'd like a bit more weight, I could slip a rock or two into your pack.

That's funny! laugh As a geologist, I used to make sure I had room enough to collect rocks to carry out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum