Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162886 - 02/27/12 07:30 PM Dog packs
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
Those of you who hike with dogs, what brand pack does your dog wear? I am thinking I may need to buy a new one, as the current one has a buckle that is right in the axillary (armpit) region, and has rubbed a raw spot on my poor pup's elbow on the last two trips. I tried to wrap a bandanna around it this last time to see if that would help, but I think it got wet and may have just been worse. We currently have the pack by Mountainsmith. It fits her well, and was cheaper than alternatives, which is why I bought it in the first place.

Anyway, I would like to hear what other packs you have used and your experience with them, particularly in regards to whether they rubbed raw spots or not. Ruffwear's Palisades pack seems to be the Cadillac of dog packs, but gosh it is expensive.

#162889 - 02/27/12 07:58 PM Re: Dog packs [Re: palameto]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
My doggies used a Wenaha brand pack successfully for quite a few years. The securing straps on this pack avoided the armpit region pretty successfully. Could you reposition the buckle so that it would be more in the midline? Anything in that area seems like a significant design flaw.

#162893 - 02/27/12 08:32 PM Re: Dog packs [Re: palameto]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I use the Ruffwear Palisades, but I got the older version several years ago when it was on closeout. The new version is too small for 8-10 days worth of dog food. Hysson is modeling his pack in my avatar. Actually, the pack was almost empty then--even though it doesn't look like it--because it was the last day of a week's trip.

I really like having a pack that can be detached from its supporting harness. That way I can remove the pack when we are fording streams and connect a long line to the dog's harness rather than to his collar. There don't seem to be many of these around.

Hysson's pack also has removable/washable fleece sleeves for the underbelly straps. You could, of course, make these yourself for any pack.

Here is a summary evaluation of various dog packs that looks like a good place to start. I haven't looked at it in detail, though. I haven't had to look at the dog pack market for several years because Hysson and I are very happy with his Ruffwear Palisades.

Of course it is important that the pack fit your dog, so some trying on and sending back may be necessary, just as with a human pack. You already found out about the buckle in the armpit--no way! No matter how much padding you use, it will chafe your dog!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/27/12 08:35 PM)

#162895 - 02/27/12 08:58 PM Re: Dog packs [Re: palameto]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I ended up with the Kelty chuck wagon for Tica. But this was a process of elimination as my dog is extremely deep chested and only medium build. This pack has worked really well for us and she can carry 8 days of food with it with no wear marks or sores. I am not sure they make it anymore though. To be honest, really look at your dogs body type and use that to narrow down which packs will possibly fit. Then try them out on your dog. Maybe put a Tshirt on first to keep the pack clean. Good shopping!

#162897 - 02/27/12 09:21 PM Re: Dog packs [Re: palameto]
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
Oldranger, it certainly seems to be a design flaw. The buckle is attached on that side to the bottom part of the pack, so it can't be moved. It doesn't seem to bother her on short hikes, it has just been on our recent two overnighters that I started to notice it causing a problem.

I remember now that we did try the Kelty Chuckwagon before I bought the Mountainsmith and my dog seemed to be in between sizes so it didn't fit very well. For her weight, she is pretty compact. I suppose it will likely be a try on and see thing. I am just having trouble justifying spending more on her pack than I spent on mine!

Edit: And thanks for the link, OM. Lots of good info there. The pack by Wolf Packs looks good because it doesn't even have the strap behind the elbows, just one bottom strap that goes behind the ribs. I wonder if it would still be stable enough like that on a short-haired dog..

Edited by palameto (02/27/12 09:39 PM)

#162913 - 02/28/12 01:11 AM Re: Dog packs [Re: palameto]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Could you not cut off the buckle, stitch on a strap, attach the buckle to that strap and have the buckle in a better spot? It doesn't have to look pretty.....

#162938 - 02/28/12 12:46 PM Re: Dog packs [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The Ruffwear Palisades does have two belly straps, but the front one doesn't bother my dog, possibly because of the fleece sleeve. The buckle is high enough not to rub his armpit or elbow.

I've heard a lot of praise of the Wolf packs. Again, though, just as with people, it really depends on how well the pack works with your dog! At least now you know what to look for! I don't think the dog's hair length has anything to do with the fit, except it's easier to determine on a shorter-haired dog.

If your Mountainsmith pack is in reasonably good shape, you can probably sell it, so it won't be a total loss.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/28/12 12:47 PM)

#162942 - 02/28/12 12:57 PM Re: Dog packs [Re: palameto]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I bought mine from Black Ice.
Black Ice dog sledding equipment

It fits my malamute perfectly, but they are used to dealing with mals, so that might be why. The model I have has a remove-able pack that removes and attaches just like the palisades.

The main reason I bought from them was that they had the harness I wanted, and I decided to throw in the pack because it is cheaper than the palisades. The problem is that you don't really know what it looks like until you get it in the mail.

I will say that it is nice to be able to just grab the pack off her when we stream cross, or go through thick brush etc. and then put it on again without having to put all the straps back on.

Edited by finallyME (02/28/12 01:00 PM)

#162971 - 02/28/12 06:40 PM Re: Dog packs [Re: finallyME]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
My pup rucks the Ruff Wear Approach and am looking for a larger pack for our more extended adventures.

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum