Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162315 - 02/16/12 12:55 PM Tax Refund Gear
lori Offline

I will have sufficient coin (by current estimate) to pick up the ULA Circuit of my dreams... light and yet big enough to stuff the big bear canister, which will also be funded by the refund, into for the two week ramble this year.

Got refund? are you spending it on gear?

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#162317 - 02/16/12 01:29 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Trying to not buy more old stoves and save more towards a newer truck to get me out into the woods. I'm salivating over UL Zpacks, their shelters would save some weight, but are more costly than TarpTents. I'm holding out for now. I could use a new winter pack, but the one I like is around $500, the Kifaru, due to its weight and how much they say it will carry, although I won't be carrying the amount it can haul. I received a nice bonus at work too, so the tax refunds and that go into savings for a newer truck. Maybe a MSR Micro Rocket later, if they go on sell, I sold my Pocket Rocket and picked up a once used Snow Peak Giga Power GS100 whatever, that will have to do for now.
Duane

#162319 - 02/16/12 02:07 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By lori
...the big bear canister, which will also be funded by the refund,.

The Bear Vault 500 is currently on sale for $63.96 + Free Shipping.

#162327 - 02/16/12 05:18 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
I actually bought Hennessy hammocks for my boyfriend and I. He is convinced that he will never be comfortable sleeping on the ground, so we are going to try the hammock route! I just bought one first, to try it out, but ordered the second one earlier this week. Hopefully we will have a weekend without rain soon so we can actually try them out in the woods.

#162328 - 02/16/12 05:25 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Well I bid on a sleeping bag and missed it as posted. I ordered a new Granite Gear Crown VC and they cancelled my order. They have no Large belts in stock yet. Said they would contact me when in stock. Seeing is beleiving with them. Military contracts come irst im sure! I am going to make a few changes to my G4 and use it for now. It is lighter anyway. I did get a good deal on a Marmot Zues 800 fill vest on SAC! I really dont need a thing,all my gear is functioning well and pretty darn light! 2 pound Hammock, Two Pound Bag, 1 LB 2OZ pack, GG evosote pad havent trimmed to weigh yet, Thats new.
I really like the look of that new crown VC, nice support semi light. I hope they come up with one for me me before mid March!

#162330 - 02/16/12 05:33 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: Kent W]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I bought a Kelty Lightyear 20F down bag for my wife. A Sawyer Squeeze, a new computer (my entrance into geekhood by building it myself), new tires, brakes, rotors and inspection for the van, and kindle for the wife. Some day I will have enough for that WM bag I want.

#162331 - 02/16/12 05:35 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: palameto]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By palameto
I actually bought Hennessy hammocks for my boyfriend and I. He is convinced that he will never be comfortable sleeping on the ground, so we are going to try the hammock route! I just bought one first, to try it out, but ordered the second one earlier this week. Hopefully we will have a weekend without rain soon so we can actually try them out in the woods.

It is even better if you have rain. Better test.

#162335 - 02/16/12 05:51 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: finallyME]
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
Originally Posted By finallyME

It is even better if you have rain. Better test.

Very true indeed. Might be safer to do a backyard rain test first...

#162339 - 02/16/12 06:43 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: PerryMK]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By PerryMK
Originally Posted By lori
...the big bear canister, which will also be funded by the refund,.

The Bear Vault 500 is currently on sale for $63.96 + Free Shipping.

I'm getting rid of the bear vault. Very much a PITA. The plastic gets brittle and the lid starts to spin freely after so many nights of subfreezing temps. Already replaced the lid once.

Nope, going for the holy grail, a Bearikade Weekender. Thanks for the heads up, but the tax refund is for getting the gear I want to replace the gear I tolerate.

#162340 - 02/16/12 06:46 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: palameto]
lori Offline

I'm not really comfortable on the ground either and love the warmth of a well insulated hammock. Hennessy can be the gateway to a real hammocking habit... be careful. crazy

#162342 - 02/16/12 07:39 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Lori, I suspect you'll be quite happy with your ULA Circuit. It's my go-to pack now for longer trips. For day hikes and the like I'm using my old ULA P2, also a fine pack FWIW.

Each year my goal is increasingly "don't buy more gear, you've got plenty". I did buy a lighter shovel for winter hikes recently, but perhaps in general this is the year that my resolve will not be broken!

#162344 - 02/16/12 08:21 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: BrianLe]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By BrianLe
Lori, I suspect you'll be quite happy with your ULA Circuit. It's my go-to pack now for longer trips. For day hikes and the like I'm using my old ULA P2, also a fine pack FWIW.

Each year my goal is increasingly "don't buy more gear, you've got plenty". I did buy a lighter shovel for winter hikes recently, but perhaps in general this is the year that my resolve will not be broken!

Thanks, Brian.

yeah, I keep making the no new gear resolution. And rewrite it every time I add something. This year it was WINTER stuff for SAR, next year it will probably be climbing gear for SAR...

#162363 - 02/17/12 09:47 AM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I am looking at buying my 1st GPS. So many to chose from

#162364 - 02/17/12 10:59 AM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Any refund I get will go towards gas since I am planning trips farther from home. The gear issue is always there- Can I get one more year out of my old stuff or do I bite the bullet and get new stuff? For me it is not a matter of the "latest and greatest" but whether my trusty old stuff will die on the trail.

#162385 - 02/17/12 05:58 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: wandering_daisy]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
When your gear flat out dies on the trail, it is not pretty. Last two noteworthy examples for me: a tent zipper-pull that no longer meshed the zipper teeth together, and having the sole of my right boot half-seperate from the upper, creating a gaping hole around my toes. One time as I put on my shirt it split entirely in half down the middle of my back.

I hope your gear stays intact for you, w_d.

#162410 - 02/17/12 11:39 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Really thinking about spending a chunk over at warbonnet outdoors! I'm talking hammock Tarp and quilts! Any suggestions! I think I'd prefer the traveler as I don't like my current Hennessy and I love all the open air hammock I have made!

#162433 - 02/18/12 01:49 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: finallyME]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
What do you and your wife think of the Kelty bag?

When will she get a chance to use it?

"You want to go where?"

#162457 - 02/18/12 10:06 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: finallyME]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Originally Posted By finallyME
I bought a Kelty Lightyear 20F down bag for my wife. Some day I will have enough for that WM bag I want.

Amen brother!!

We should contact WM and c if they will give us a discount if we order multiple bags!

#162577 - 02/22/12 10:22 AM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: billstephenson]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
What do you and your wife think of the Kelty bag?

When will she get a chance to use it?

So far all she has done is get inside it. I got her the regular length. She is really short, and it fits her just right. Not too short or long. Her body shape also must have been what they modeled it after because it is wide and thin in all the right spots.
For kelty sizing, I remember when I was looking at getting me one. I went to REI and tried it on and found a long was just perfect, even though on paper it looked like a regular would fit. So, if you are looking for one, get the size bigger than you think.

Edited by finallyME (02/22/12 10:24 AM)

#162630 - 02/23/12 11:24 AM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Since my gear wish-list right now is all wants and not needs, I'll probably do the boring, responsible thing and get ahead on the finances.

#162632 - 02/23/12 12:17 PM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: Samoset]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Samoset
Really thinking about spending a chunk over at warbonnet outdoors! I'm talking hammock Tarp and quilts! Any suggestions! I think I'd prefer the traveler as I don't like my current Hennessy and I love all the open air hammock I have made!

I got a Blackbird - if he had been making the Traveler back then, I would have gotten one, so I could leave the netting at home.

Brandon does great gear. I don't use the winter Yeti much but differentially cut underquilts are good kit. It would be a difficult choice - if I were getting the gear all over again I'd probably get it all from Warbonnet, but there are some really good quilt makers now.

#162692 - 02/24/12 09:34 AM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
Pete A. Offline

Loc: Auburn, AL
Haven't filed yet, but I've got my eyes on a NeoAir...

#162759 - 02/25/12 09:33 AM Re: Tax Refund Gear [Re: lori]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Well I have a new Granite Gear Crown VC 60 Pack on the way. I think it is going to be a improvment on my G4. Though it is heavyer. A light pack though at 2 pounds 2 ounces. Looks like a winner. We shall see.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum