Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161985 - 02/11/12 01:28 PM fuzzball removal from fleece
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I searched on the forum but didn't see any reviews . . . so:

A defuzz-it.

Anyone use one of these to restore their fleece garments? It looks like an anti-pilling device but I'm not sure it works.

My wife said that she used to have a battery-operated thing that cut the fuzzballs off her sweaters (like Angora wool), but that isn't what I'm looking for. (You'd end up with less material to keep you warm.)

And it looks like there's a razor in this thing, too, so it may not be the answer to fleece-pilling.

I'm looking for something to fluff up the fleece, remove the 'pills,' give it some loft, return it to its original condition. Will this work, or do you know of something else that will?

Or am I just dreaming?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#162018 - 02/12/12 08:14 AM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: kevonionia]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Why do I need that? A regular razor works better, or so it would seem. Is there a hidden benefit to this uni-tasker that I'm not getting?

#162020 - 02/12/12 09:02 AM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: kevonionia]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Ronco used to sell a de-pill electric razor thing years ago. Watch TV and maybe the ad will come up again. grin
This looks like the Ronco thing I remember:
http://www.amazon.com/Formerly-Izumi-Seiko-S-Yard-KT11C/dp/B000E1FGHW

#162031 - 02/12/12 01:28 PM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: Dryer]
kevonionia Offline

What I'm not looking for is a razor, something that removes tangled or pilled fiber, rather something that untangles the fibers, creating loft.

The only thing I can think of is something like my friends way, way back in high school had to increase the volume of their afros and that was called a pick.

Would a small version of that unknot the polyester fibers, create loft and restore insulation, or again, am I just dreaming?

#162039 - 02/12/12 02:41 PM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: Barefoot Friar]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Oh...I never knew those pills were "untanglable". I started to suggest a curry comb (those afro combs) but their too big.

So, how about:
1) a nit comb for removing lice (walmart).
2) run your carpet sweeper over the garment and see if the power brush has any effect.
3) wire brush?

I'm driven to solve this problem for you, Kevon. grin

#162041 - 02/12/12 03:39 PM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: Dryer]
kevonionia Offline

paul:

I'm thinking about hitting Petsmart and seeing if they have some smallish dog brush that might work. If I do, I'll post a video if successful with my lofty idea(l).

#162098 - 02/13/12 03:44 PM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: kevonionia]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Whan my fleece gets balls, I just leave them be. It is a sign of poor quality fleece. I really do not see how combing them out will really help much. I suspect that once combed out they will re-ball shortly. Be more aware of fleece type the next time you purchase gear. I have never had cheap fleece work out well. In addition the cheap fleece seems to breath poorly and I sweat a lot in it.

#162103 - 02/13/12 04:17 PM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: wandering_daisy]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Good point. I think I've always assumed that fleece is fleece is fleece.

For what brands should I be looking?

#162162 - 02/14/12 03:30 PM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: Barefoot Friar]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I prefer Polertech. The high end outdoor manufacturers use this. There is also WindPro- not very breathable but wind resistent. Patagonia has is own "pripritory" fleece. Most clothing from regular stores (such as JC Penny) will just say "fleece" 100% polyester. It can be of greatly varying thickness or quality. If you go to fabric stores they have different brands such as "Polar" fleece. The higher quality fleece for fashion clothing is made to be pill-resistent. Not that it is necessarily warmer or breaths better, but does not pill. When you buy generic fleece it is hit and miss as to quality. Some actually works out fine, others not. And athletic gear makers also will call the old fashioned cotton sweatshirt "fleece".

There is new fancy high-tech fabrics coming out every year and different fleece brand names. If you read reviews, things like pilling and breathability usually are cited in the reviews. Actual warmth is a more subjective issue. It is my preference to buy a brand name high quality item, on sale, rather than an originally cheap item. You are better off sticking with clothing made for outdoor use, not fashion stuff.

#162193 - 02/15/12 01:18 AM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: kevonionia]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Duct tape will take some of it off....:)

#162246 - 02/15/12 04:27 PM Re: fuzzball removal from fleece [Re: kevonionia]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You won't find anything that won't remove the fuzzballs--they'll be gone altogether. Unless this is an item you wear around town and want to look neat, I wouldn't bother. Under a shell or windshirt, the fuzzballs will provide a tiny amount of dead air space between the shell and the fleece, so actually will provide a little more insulation than if they were removed.

You're talking to an old hand at removing fuzzballs from the acrylic sweaters so popular in the 1950's when I was in high school and college!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 47 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum