Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158900 - 12/18/11 02:20 PM Backpacking with a ruptured disc
blairbilly Offline

I herniated or ruptured a lower lumbar disc this last summer. (L4-L5). The ruptured "jelly" is now putting pressure on my spinal cord. I am not in excrutiating pain (some sciatica and more soarness), but don't have a lot of feeling on my right side from the back of my calf through the right side of the foot. The spinal doctor that I seen has advised to hold off on surgery as long as possible, so at this point, I am just dealing with the situation. I am looking for advice from anyone that is or has dealt with a similar situation. Anything from gear to pain relief. I usually take 1-2 long weekend backpacking trips a summer in the Rockies. I also do a lot of day hiking..if possible. I am able to cart around my 4 year and 1 year old girls in a kid pack without much trouble. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Ty

Edited by blairbilly (12/18/11 02:29 PM)

#158905 - 12/18/11 05:51 PM Re: Backpacking with a ruptured disc [Re: blairbilly]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
(1) Talk to your physician about physical activity! I'm sure you shouldn't be carrying a heavy pack. I definitely wouldn't try carrying the little ones! The four year old should be able to carry herself and a light pack (wraps, snacks and a small water bottle).

(2) In your place, I'd definitely get a second opinion (always a good idea when surgery is either advised or postponed). Very often your insurance will pay for it.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/18/11 05:52 PM)

#158928 - 12/19/11 09:33 AM Re: Backpacking with a ruptured disc [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
As one who has struggled with a herniated disc...lots of physical therapy and exercises. No joke. DO them well, do them long, do them religiously!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#160194 - 01/12/12 11:15 AM Re: Backpacking with a ruptured disc [Re: blairbilly]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
This is secondhand advice, but both my dad and significant other had herniated discs and recovered fully without surgery. Dad's orthopedist actually advised him not to have surgery (of course, this was in the '60s, when there weren't as many options for surgery that weren't drastic), just to gradually do core strengthening exercises like crunches, and the "jelly" was eventually absorbed by his body. The S.O. did pretty much the same; oddly, he found that walking relieved his pain more than anything else. Once he recovered (6 months or so?) he was back to backpacking.

#160635 - 01/19/12 03:56 PM Re: Backpacking with a ruptured disc [Re: blairbilly]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Blairbilly-

You have my sympathy. For me, the disc between L4-5 ruptured badly enough that a piece broke off and moved away from the spine a bit. Docs have done CT scans, etc., to ensure the calcifed fragment is indeed an old disc piece, not cancer...

I'm thinking that if you have made it this far without surgery and have function, you may as well skip it. One of the better surgeons with whom I consulted would have done a "bandaid" procedure and removed the fragment to relieve nerve pressure and pain. By the 6 or 8 months after the blow out, the nerve damage was pretty much done and much of the pain had subsided. He said that after 5 years, studies showed that patients who didn't have surgery were doing about as well as those who did. Also, if they "fuse" two vertebrae, forces on the rest of the spine increases, causing a greater risk of a rupture elsewhere.

Anyway, I switched to the lightest gear I could afford and had to stop camping for a few years. Discovering hammocks made a juge difference. 20+ years later, my left leg is still weaker than the right and I have some numbness down into my toes. The good news is I've hiked over 900 miles of AT in the last 10 years, so you do not have to be "done."

See what you can do to lighten your load, work on body mechanics and strengthening, and try to avoid carrying the kids around. Also, figure out what works for YOU for sleeping on the trail. I can highly recommend a Hennessy Hammock.

CM

#161825 - 02/07/12 04:06 PM Re: Backpacking with a ruptured disc [Re: blairbilly]
Lynn Offline

You have my sympathy since my L4/L5 disc also herniated 6 months ago. The spine doctor said there are basically three treatment choices: pain control plus physical therapy, pain control, physical therapy plus a spinal injection, and surgery. The common wisdom now is that all three choices have the same probability of success after two years. I chose pain control, physical therapy but no injection. I might be wrong here but I understand the spinal injection is primarily for pain control so I decided to not get an injection because I didn't want to mask the pain and reinjure myself. There is also a small risk of nerve damage from the injection itself. No matter what choice you make, you need the stretching and strenthening exercises prescribed by a physical therapist.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum