Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161647 - 02/02/12 08:37 PM Re: Firestarting Tips Techniques? ***** [Re: OregonMouse]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I'll argue that a candle stub is an easier helper. Why?

You have the consistent flame to dry off and get the small (pencil lead or twice pencil led size) tinder going. Once that goes, you can get pencil sized stuff going. And then you can work your way up bit by bit to wrist sized branches; which make the good coals you want to cook on. happy

All carrying more robust firestarters helps you do is skip some of the wood collection steps necessary to get a fire going when you don't have them (a section of newspaper lets me skip to logs in my home fireplace all the time).

The trouble with more robust firestarters is that often they fizzle out before you get sustainable ignition in the wood (think of the newspaper example) - and then you are back to square one. cry

Generally speaking, I've found that building the fire slowly helps to ensure success - and garunteed my dinner when I was a Boy Scout.

The big advantage of a candle is that if your initial blaze doesn't destroy it, will keep going for a while, helping you to work through issues when wood won't light.

Has anyone empirically worked thought the weight merits of the various methods of firestarting?

#161661 - 02/02/12 11:45 PM Re: Firestarting Tips Techniques? [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
The best natural firestarter in my experience is Utah juniper bark. It is nice and stringy, very fine - lights easily from a match,and burns readily. I don't think I have ever used birch bark.

Too bad, OM, I don't think [/i]Juniperus utahensis[i] grows up in your neck of the woods.....

#161662 - 02/02/12 11:49 PM Re: Firestarting Tips Techniques? [Re: OregonMouse]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
thought dryer lint was supposed to be soaked in paraffin (the kind used to seal jelly jars).

It can be. It catches a spark easily if not wax soaked but burns quickly. A plain old cotton ball works much better.
I like my paraffin saturated paper towels much more that lint. It's more consistant. They burn longer and are easier to light. I don't carry a sparker. Gimme a match!

#161665 - 02/03/12 12:01 AM Re: Firestarting Tips Techniques? [Re: Dryer]
oldranger Offline

You would think by now we would have official standards for dryer lint, so that the inferior grades could be kept off the market......

I harvest mine by the light of the full moon, after we have run a load of all cotton items.

#161712 - 02/03/12 04:10 PM Re: Firestarting Tips Techniques? [Re: Steadman]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
[quote]All carrying more robust firestarters helps you do is skip some of the wood collection steps necessary to get a fire going when you don't have them/quote]

I always thought the purpose of a robust firestarter is to dry out wet kindling enough to get a fire going. If your kindling is dry, you don't need a firestarter!

#161714 - 02/03/12 06:02 PM Re: Firestarting Tips Techniques? [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

It seems to me that starting a fire quickly requires one to gather fuel of various sizes, regardless of the firestarter involved. The flame will propagate much more quickly if a nice "fuel ladder" is available. Of course, it propagates even quicker if you just crack the valve on your canister and apply a match - I am getting lazy in my old age....

#161990 - 02/11/12 01:59 PM Re: Firestarting Tips Techniques? [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I thought dryer lint was supposed to be soaked in paraffin (the kind used to seal jelly jars).

If you want to use it as a lots of heat sort of firestarter that you light with a match or lighter, sure. then it's just acting as a wick for the paraffin. At that point, carry a few birthday candles.

I don't use it as that, I use it as the thing to catch a spark from a ferrocium rod firestarter (i.e. a "light my fire"). It's ususally then the target in the middle of a "bird's nest" of dry grass, twigs, birchbark, etc.

I don't use it normally in the summer, I do in the winter (along with the striker) because I can make a fire in 20 below zero without taking my gloves off.. Can't do that with a bic lighter or matches. not enough dexterity.

Quote:

As I remember from my years back east, birch bark is the perfect fire starter. Unfortunately, it doesn't grow out here.

We do have it here, although sporadically. so it really depends where you are as to whether or not you have it available.

Edited by phat (02/11/12 01:59 PM)
Browse my pictures

#162003 - 02/11/12 03:48 PM Re: Firestarting Tips Techniques? [Re: phat]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Old Ranger, your comment about harvesting dryer lint! Too Funny thanks for making my day!

#165878 - 05/14/12 12:33 PM Re: Firestarting Tips Techniques? [Re: Kent W]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Finding tinder is the toughest part. I think of tinder as an extension of the match. It can be dry leaves, grass, very tiny dead pine twigs. The function of tinder is to light the very small kindling above it.

The next level is kindling. Pencil lead size at first and building up to pencil size. Twigs laying on the ground in a campsite are almost always wet. If possible, think gray without bark. Often next to a stream is a good place to find dead gray wood. Stomp a bigger piece if it's wet to expose the dry inside. I make a teepee over the tinder with the open side towards a light breeze or 90 degrees to a stronger wind.

Finally, I make a cabin around the teepee with gray sticks.

Personally, I like to build the whole structure before lighting anything.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum