Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161340 - 01/27/12 11:04 PM Miniworks direct connection to Camelbak?
Rooster Boy Offline

Loc: Burlington, Vermont
Hello all! Hopefully there's snow where at you're locale, and you're fully enjoying some epic snow shoeing... not much luck for me sad to say :-\

This last year I carried 2-4 nalgenes depending on distance/weather. Extra weight, but verrry rugged, more freeze proof than a camel hose, and attaches to my miniworks filter with minimal exposure to cross contamination. I know there's lighter ways of cleaning water, but the miniworks is what I have for now so I'm looking at going back to a Camelbak to shed weight. At 5.5 oz I think I could drop almost a pound if I made the switch. My only hang-up is being able to treat water while backpacking, and avoiding that cross contamination bit. (if there are other hang-ups please enlighten me!)

But I think I have an idea...

The new camelbak system has a detachable hose that utilizes a "quick link" locking mechanism to keep it attached. It makes it easier to swap hoses for different applications.

What if I attached a 1-2" length of hose fitted with a male quick link connector on the end to the outlet fitting on my miniworks? I could remove the drinking hose from the camel, snap on the filter via the 2" hose and adapter, and pump filtered water in to the bladder through the outlet instead of the filling port. The hose attachment on the miniworks might be small enough to fit under the outlet cap, which would help to keep it muck free when no in use...

I realize MSR makes a bladder that screws right on to the miniworks, but I heard they're prone to leaking. If its going in my pack, its gotta be dry...

Any ideas? I'm not planning on trying this till things get above freezing in the Green Mntns, but if some one in the South gave it a go I'd love to hear about it :-D

THANKS!!!

Rooster Boy

GO GMC!

Edited by Rooster Boy (01/27/12 11:05 PM)

#161342 - 01/27/12 11:17 PM Re: Miniworks direct connection to Camelbak? [Re: Rooster Boy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've used the Dromlites for many years, and they've never leaked. I've used them inside my pack to transport water to a dry camp. About 10 years ago, I used one with the "hydration kit" attachment for a summer, and never had any problem (I gave it up because I just don't like hose systems.) I used a Dromlite with a retrofit kit, not the "Hydromedary" version they also sell - but the Hydromedary looks to be about the same, and have a screw-on top that will mate to the Miniworks directly.

As with any bladder, when you first get it, you want to fill it at home and let it sit in an empty bucket overnight, just to be sure there are no leaks.

By the way, based on my own personal, decidedly unscientific, experience the Miniworks may not be the lightest, but it's the most functional and reliable. There are some things that are worth a bit of extra weight. (Don't tell the rest of the folks on the forums I said that. smile )

#161385 - 01/28/12 07:25 PM Re: Miniworks direct connection to Camelbak? [Re: Glenn]
Rooster Boy Offline

Loc: Burlington, Vermont
3 L Hydromedary = 7.1oz
3 L Camelbak = 5.5 oz, miniworks hose adapter 0.1 oz.
thats 1.5 oz less for the Camel.

I guess this could turn into a durability thread...

#161390 - 01/28/12 08:43 PM Re: Miniworks direct connection to Camelbak? [Re: Rooster Boy]
lori Offline

That might work if there is a way to also let air out while you are pumping to filter into the bladder.

If you use a pump filter with a bladder in this manner you will also be pumping air in, and it needs somewhere to escape.

Let's just say I know how really awfully strong a Platypus Big Zip is... it stretches quite a lot, and survives being blown up like a balloon to three times its size without issues. Thank goodness. Still doesn't leak, for all that torture.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum