Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160975 - 01/23/12 05:29 PM Gear suggestions...
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
First let me say I am pretty new to backpacking, I went on a BP trip with a church group as a kid and remember how awesome it was. Since then I have spent many nights outside(Army)and also car camped and a few BP trips with the kids with questionable gear.

My sons ages 8 and 16 have enjoyed our recent jaunts into the woods in our area for over-nighters. So now I am trying to gear us up for a 2-3 night trip into the UNF (Uwharrie) in central NC.

Our current set up is: my Army external frame rucksack, a REI youth size external frame pack for my 16yr old, and basic school type backpack for the 8yr old. The youngest pretty much just packs his sleeping bag and some extra clothes. We got some lightweight sleeping bags for Christmas.I have a MSR rocket stove and a cook set on the way from campmor.

As for a tent we have been using a cheap dome tent but it's wayyy too heavy. We do have a lightweight youth dome tent (@3.5lbs) that could fit the kids and I could fit in another one OK. Otherwise it seems like we will have to spend alot on a 3 person relatively lightweight tent. Suggestions?

As for packs, what would you suggest? I could pass the youth size REI pack down to the 8yr old and get something for my 16yr old son. I also feel like the Army rucksack is way heavy, but it's functional, so I could use it for a trip or two.

Suggestions for a reasonably priced pack for my 16yr old son? Thanks for any advice!

#160990 - 01/23/12 08:33 PM Re: Gear suggestions... [Re: Cranman]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
If the youth pack will fit the 8 year old I'd say hand it down. As for you and your teen, you might want to start looking at craigslist and eBay to see what you can find there.

There's nothing wrong with grabbing an old Kelty or other pack to get started off with. In fact, I have an old Coleman Peak1 pack I'll send you if you want it. It's still in good shape and I'd love to see it get some more use. It should work for either you or your teen.

As far as a tent goes, you might find one or two of those on craigslist and eBay too. You might look into using hammocks and tarps instead of a tent. I've made tarps out of disposable plastic table clothes and used a $30 hammock and that works darn pretty good. If you like the tarp/hammock setup you can get a good silnylon tarp and a quality hammock for about the same price as a good tent.

If you're going for new stuff we'd need a budget to try and recommend anything, but the general rule of thumb is to spend as much as you can on a good sleeping bag and when you have all the gear you're going to carry and know how much room it will take, then go look at packs.

Uwharrie huh? Looks like a great spot. My wife just watched a "Finding Bigfoot" episode made there. I watched a bit of it because they have a big Suzuki Samurai 4x4 gathering there every year and I'd love to attend that. Of course getting a good picture of a Bigfoot would be fun too smile

"You want to go where?"

#161005 - 01/24/12 07:32 AM Re: Gear suggestions... [Re: Cranman]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'd probably go with two tents, a one-person and a two-person, because it gives you more flexibility. If any of you want to take a solo trip, you take the one person (this would be you, or maybe your older son, for now.) If only one of the boys can go, you can take the two-person tent (this might be you and your younger son - I know that as my son started driving and got older, his own life took up more of his time, and our trips got fewer.)

It also gives you a little more flexibility on campsites. With a three-person tent, you've got to have a clear, hopefully flat, space big enough for the whole tent - that can be a little hard to find sometimes. However, it's usually easy to find a spot that has a couple flat spots that would fit a smaller tent.

I sent you a PM (private mail) with a couple of other thoughts; it's that little flashing envelope at the top of the forum. Just click on it (or on the little pointer by My Stuff, then select "messages.")

#161062 - 01/24/12 05:44 PM Re: Gear suggestions... [Re: Cranman]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
I'd agree with Glenn on the tent issues. 2 would give you more flexibility than one larger one.

You may find the paper I wrote to be of use. It was written with Scouts in mind.

#161063 - 01/24/12 05:49 PM Re: Gear suggestions... [Re: Cranman]
Cranman Offline

Thanks for the replies guys..the advice is much appreciated. Also thanks for the info on how to check PM's Glen, I hadn't noticed the little "pm" icon up at the top until you mentioned it! I like the idea of two smaller tents instead of the 3 man, makes sense.

Edited by Cranman (01/24/12 05:52 PM)

#161072 - 01/24/12 07:14 PM Re: Gear suggestions... [Re: Cranman]
Cranman Offline

Bill-forgot to respond about Uwharrie, I have been up there when there were Jeep and also Land Rover rallies, very cool stuff. Have also seen some vehicles damaged pretty badly, makes you cringe to see a nice truck scrape along a tree or big rock!

Topshot- very interesting paper, looking forward to reading. Who knew there was a doctorate program for Scouts? smile

#161073 - 01/24/12 07:42 PM Re: Gear suggestions... [Re: Cranman]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You will find a lot of good info in the articles listed in the left column on the home page of this site.

#161076 - 01/24/12 09:19 PM Re: Gear suggestions... [Re: Cranman]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By Cranman
Topshot- very interesting paper, looking forward to reading. Who knew there was a doctorate program for Scouts? smile
Doctorate in name only, of course. I don't know how many councils have such a program or even do a University of Scouting.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum