Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160586 - 01/18/12 03:08 AM A neo-pad choice
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
So what would you do?

I bought another Big Agnes bag recently, and since it has a sleeve and no down on the bottom, of course I need a pad. My wife’s had an original yellow, crinkly Thermarest Neoair for two years and I like the feel of the perpendicular tube design, but want to opt for a newer version. So the choices are this for a Large (20”x77”x2.5”) one:

A new, still-in-box Neoair Trekker from an individual on craigslist, $65, probably get it for $60. It's the second version, less noisy, heavier but much less likely to puncture. Specs: Weight: 1#8oz., R value: 2, rolled 13”x4.5”.

Or

A new Neoair All Season, $169.00 from most online outfitters, free shipping. Third version and marketed as a 4-season pad. Specs: Weight 1#9oz., R value of 4.9, rolled size: 11”x4.8”

Or

The newest Neoair XTherm, $219.00 when it becomes available in April. Fourth version, and a pad that breaks the $200 barrier for a Large. Specs: Weight: 1#6oz., has an R-value of 5.7. I was not able to find what will be its rolled size but probably similar to the All Season, although one gear tester said it rolled up to the “size of an orange.” Reviews are that it is incredibly warm.

So, what to do . . . Wait (and get a second job to pay for it?) Go cheap and haul along a closed-cell pad to put under the Trekker on cold nights, Or hope they start discounting the already outdated All Season?

(Or none of the above?)

(Note, I sleep cold and usually camp in mtns. with temps in the 30s.)

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#160587 - 01/18/12 03:54 AM Re: A neo-pad choice [Re: kevonionia]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Does any pad fit equally well in a B.A. sleeve? No personal experience, but I would have guessed that the sleeve is designed to fit a Big Agnes inflatable pad ... ?

No idea on the neo-pad choice; I've been happy with the original crinkly yellow neo-air, FWIW. I don't know how or if you can find any objective comparison data.

#160588 - 01/18/12 06:56 AM Re: A neo-pad choice [Re: kevonionia]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've used my "old" yellow NeoAir in temps down to zero. Used by itself, I found that it started feeling cold in the 25-30 degree range (and I'm not a particularly cold sleeper.) With a Z-Lite pad under it, it was fine down to 10 or lower. My experience at zero was unintentional (temps dropped a bit lower than predicted); I was using the Z-lite and NeoAir with a 20 degree WM bag and wearing WM Flash pants and jacket in the bag, but started to feel cold underneath around 5am (I'd estimate temp was 0 - 5 at that point.) I also had a nylon footprint under the Hubba tent.

I recently took my NeoAir All-Season into 20-degree temperatures (it may have gotten into the mid to lower teens one night.) I was using the same bag, without the down pants or jacket, inside a Carbon Reflex tent, with a footprint. Not only did I never feel cold, I could definitely feel heat radiating back to me. When you first lay down, or when you shift position, you'll feel a cold spot for about 30 seconds, until that part of the pad "warms up." Then it's positively toasty.

If I were choosing one NeoAir pad to fit all my trips (Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana, very little snow camping, a couple of cold-weather one or two night trips each year) it would be the NeoAir All Season. It seems a very good compromise between weight and warmth - there's only a 4-ounce difference between the 66" regular and All-Season. Remember, I said I'm a "normal" sleeper, not a "cold" sleeper. (My second choice would be an Exped Downmat 7, especially if I was regularly camping in 0 - 20 temps. Much higher R-rating, but it also weighs nearly 2 pounds. The NeoAir replaced it for my own winter use.)

Edited by Glenn (01/18/12 07:01 AM)

#160602 - 01/18/12 11:24 AM Re: A neo-pad choice [Re: kevonionia]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Some Big Agnes bags need a mummy pad and others use a rectangular pad. Is that a consideration?

It sounds like you are wanting new gear, but why not use the NeoAir and supplement with a ccf pad? The ccf pad is a great sit pad around camp.

#160603 - 01/18/12 12:12 PM Re: A neo-pad choice [Re: kevonionia]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Don't consider the Trekker another moment. It's strictly a fairweather mattress and will conduct heat away from you like a freight train.

I'd proably focus on the AllSeason and if that for some reason falls short (approaching zero F) plan on adding a simple, thin (1/8 inch?) foam pad underneath.

Cheers,

#160604 - 01/18/12 12:28 PM Re: A neo-pad choice [Re: Glenn]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Forgot to mention: I'm about 5'10", and the 66" pad is effectively a full-length pad for me (my pack, crosswise in the tent, is a pillow base; my shoulders end at the top of the pad, and my head is on the pack/pillow. That means I've only got to have about 5' of me actually on a pad.

Just a quick thought; it might save you a few bucks and 3 or 4 ounces.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum