Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160346 - 01/14/12 01:56 AM The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look
Hikin Jim Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
I got a little something in the mail this week from RingTail (THANK you!!).

The FeatherFire alcohol stove! Cool! smile

Part of what's cool about it is this cable that you see here.

That cable controls this screw.

And that screw opens up or constricts the metal band that encircles the stove. Underneath the band are ventilation ports. Open up the band, more air. Close the band, less air.

OK, so here's the really cool thing: You can run the cable through a gap in your windscreen and control things on the fly. NICE! With a Trangia, for example, you have to pull the pot off, manually emplace the simmer ring (without burning yourself), and open the simmer ring with a knife (or whatever). No need on the FeatherFire. Just turn the knob. Clockwise reduces air and the flame. Counter-clockwise opens things up and increases the flame. Start the stove on full open.

Speaking of full open, it gets a plenty good boil on full open.

And a darned good simmer on full closed.

Would you look at that simmer? That is a nice simmer. Just barely bubbling. Best control I've seen on any alcohol stove anywhere. Period.

Couple of more shots for now. High flame.

Low flame.

It'll take me a couple of weeks to get a real sense of the stove. I've only fired it twice so far. "Only." Ha, ha. I've had it two days. "Only" fired it twice. lol. Nice stove, Ringtail.

The stove came from TLB, so TLB gets an exclusive advance look. Nothing ready for the blog just yet. Got a burn a few more rounds of alcohol, etc.

HJ

#160348 - 01/14/12 04:59 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
How compact is it when folded up ready for travel?

#160349 - 01/14/12 08:48 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Didn't know RingTail made stoves. Throttling the air supply makes sense and by your pics, looks effective.
Folds down how small?

#160350 - 01/14/12 09:08 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Inspired by the crew on this forum, I have made 3 different alcohol stoves for "backpacking". I have learned a lot in the process, but I have been less than thrilled with my results. There is always something I am not happy with. Stumbled into the featherfire about 4 to 6 months ago and was immediately interested (but as usual, very slow to pull the trigger). The thing looks put together very smartly! I am definitely looking forward to a full accounting of how it works.

sK

#160352 - 01/14/12 09:33 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: skcreidc]
BradMT Offline

VERY interesting stove...

http://packafeather.com/stove.html

#160354 - 01/14/12 11:03 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: oldranger]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
How compact is it when folded up ready for travel?
It's not quite as compact as a Trangia or typical Coke can type stove, but the legs do fold in.

Here's a photo. I'm using a 1 liter Snow Peak pot. In the pot are a windscreen, a Ti Sierra Cup, and the FeatherFire. There's room for a lighter and maybe a spoon. I had it packed with a bandana to prevent rattling, but I removed the bandana for the photo.

HJ

#160355 - 01/14/12 11:07 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Thanks for the link Brad. $32.97 for the stove, then add on $$ for windscreen and/or reflector if wanted, not bad. Going off of their numbers, pretty impressive times without the bulk of the Caldera Cone setup. HJ, you're not helping with my budget.

Duane

#160356 - 01/14/12 11:07 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Dryer]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
Didn't know RingTail made stoves. Throttling the air supply makes sense and by your pics, looks effective.
Folds down how small?
The stove is made by PackaFeather.com. I have no affiliation with PackaFeather.com and neither does RingTail that I know about. RingTail knew I had been interested in this stove for some time and sent me his for testing. THANK YOU, RingTail.

Hopefully, you can see how compact it is in the above photo.

One thing to note is that the legs swivel inward and nest underneath the stove for transport.

HJ

#160357 - 01/14/12 11:11 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: skcreidc]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By skcreidc
Inspired by the crew on this forum, I have made 3 different alcohol stoves for "backpacking". I have learned a lot in the process, but I have been less than thrilled with my results. There is always something I am not happy with. Stumbled into the featherfire about 4 to 6 months ago and was immediately interested (but as usual, very slow to pull the trigger). The thing looks put together very smartly! I am definitely looking forward to a full accounting of how it works.

sK
I have a post on DIY Alcohol Stove Design if you're interested.

The build quality is excellent. I haven't played with it enough to form an opinion, but I'm very impressed by its ability to simmer, not just a low flame, really simmer. I worry a little about the long term durability of the pot supports, but I haven't used it enough yet to have something solid to say there.

HJ

#160358 - 01/14/12 11:16 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: hikerduane]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Thanks for the link Brad. $32.97 for the stove, then add on $$ for windscreen and/or reflector if wanted, not bad. Going off of their numbers, pretty impressive times without the bulk of the Caldera Cone setup.
The PackaFeather cap is excellent too. I'd like to get one of their windscreens, but I'm out of work right now, so spending $$'s is not in the plan.

HJ, you're not helping with my budget.
This is just part of my master plan to stimulate the US economy. wink

HJ

#160359 - 01/14/12 12:05 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
oldranger Offline

But wait, there's more! I notice they feature the FeatherFire XL, which seems like the same stove (same price), perhaps just a bit more compact....

Such a feast of riches. My traditional Trangia may become a museum piece.

#160360 - 01/14/12 01:41 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: oldranger]
skcreidc Offline

What??? No Ginsu knives? The XL looks a touch more resilient as it doesn't have those spindly supports; and its 0.2 oz lighter.

HJ Thanks! Checked out your blog on alcohol stove design. Packed with good info.

#160362 - 01/14/12 01:56 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: skcreidc]
BradMT Offline

Guys, if I may ask, what do you view as the pro's/con's of an alcohol stove?

PS Jim, I'm the one that posted your MSR link at 24hour.

Thanks!

#160368 - 01/14/12 02:47 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: skcreidc]
oldranger Offline

I am willing to be that it includes an MP3 player, rither that or a solar calendar...

#160373 - 01/14/12 04:42 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By BradMT
Guys, if I may ask, what do you view as the pro's/con's of an alcohol stove?

PS Jim, I'm the one that posted your MSR link at 24hour.

Thanks!

Pros:

0) CHEAP - you can make a very effective stove out of a discarded cat food can or a few pop cans, with some ingenuity.

1) Lightest (by max weight carried) option I have for me, with my cooking style (one boil in morning and one boil in evening)
for me for up to 5 person days, short of esbit tabs, which the smell bothers me and are hard to get here

2) really easy to find fuel, once you know the right stuff to get, as many gas stations have it. I can be assured to find methyl hydrate at almost any gas station in canada, not so with the other stuff - so nice if you are resupplying in the middle of nowhere

3) smallest package for tea in a daybag, with fuel in a pocket - I do this even in the dead of winter here.

4) fuel isn't incredibly volatile, so won't "flare up" easily. but still have to be cautious.

6) Quiet - no hissing and roaring. You can hear the world around you while your stove is on.

Cons:

1) Fuel is the least "btu" dense compared to canister or white gas. You have to carry more to boil the same amount of water.

2) stove a little more wind sensitive than others (but this can be mitigated well with experience

3) if the fuel and stove are very cold, it can be hard to light and keep the stove going well - only matters in really cold temps.

4) almost invisible flame can be a bit treacherous when it's bright out.

5) Tricky to simmer, best suited to boil it up style, rather than a lot of real "cooking" - this does not mean it is impossible to simmer, by no means. it's just a lot easier to
"cook" on the other style of stoves which have better flame control.

---------------------------------------------------------

Really, I use one for the majority of my solo trips.

I will resort to a canister stove in normal weather if I am
out for more than 5 person-days (as by that time the fuel difference makes it heavier, for me, at least at the max weight).

Winter daytrips I take it, with a small bottle of fuel kept warm in my pocket, to make tea. Winter camping I'm melting snow for water so usually take white gas, as it works no matter how cold it is and is more energy dense than just about anything
else I can take..

Browse my pictures

#160381 - 01/14/12 07:38 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
hikerduane Offline

HJ, you're not helping with my budget.
This is just part of my master plan to stimulate the US economy. wink

HJ [/quote]

I spent at least one month of income last year on old stoves, I have done my part for the economy. smile

Duane

#160395 - 01/14/12 10:29 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: phat]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By phat

Pros:

0) CHEAP - you can make a very effective stove out of a discarded cat food can or a few pop cans, with some ingenuity.

1) Lightest (by max weight carried) option I have for me, with my cooking style (one boil in morning and one boil in evening)
for me for up to 5 person days, short of esbit tabs, which the smell bothers me and are hard to get here

2) really easy to find fuel, once you know the right stuff to get, as many gas stations have it. I can be assured to find methyl hydrate at almost any gas station in canada, not so with the other stuff - so nice if you are resupplying in the middle of nowhere

3) smallest package for tea in a daybag, with fuel in a pocket - I do this even in the dead of winter here.

4) fuel isn't incredibly volatile, so won't "flare up" easily. but still have to be cautious.

6) Quiet - no hissing and roaring. You can hear the world around you while your stove is on.

Cons:

1) Fuel is the least "btu" dense compared to canister or white gas. You have to carry more to boil the same amount of water.

2) stove a little more wind sensitive than others (but this can be mitigated well with experience

3) if the fuel and stove are very cold, it can be hard to light and keep the stove going well - only matters in really cold temps.

5) Tricky to simmer, best suited to boil it up style, rather than a lot of real "cooking" - this does not mean it is impossible to simmer, by no means. it's just a lot easier to

---------------------------------------------------------

Really, I use one for the majority of my solo trips.

I will resort to a canister stove in normal weather if I am
out for more than 5 person-days (as by that time the fuel difference makes it heavier, for me, at least at the max weight).

Winter daytrips I take it, with a small bottle of fuel kept warm in my pocket, to make tea. Winter camping I'm melting snow for water so usually take white gas, as it works no matter how cold it is and is more energy dense than just about anything else I can take..

Perfect explanation... thanks.

I think I can see one having a very narrow corridor of usefulness for me.

#160407 - 01/15/12 01:53 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: skcreidc]
Hikin Jim Offline

What??? No Ginsu knives? The XL looks a touch more resilient as it doesn't have those spindly supports; and its 0.2 oz lighter.
Yeah, you noticed the pot supports too? I'm wondering how they'll do.

Still, I'm freaking impressed by the simmer capability. I think as good as a Trangia but WAY more convenient. You don't have to remove the pot let alone drop a simmer ring on to a burning stove. The XL might be the better stove. As I'm unemployed that has to wait unless someone wants to loan me one.

HJ Thanks! Checked out your blog on alcohol stove design. Packed with good info.
Cool. Glad it's helpful. There's tons of stuff on there if there's ever the need.

HJ

#160408 - 01/15/12 01:55 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
Hikin Jim Offline

Jim, I'm the one that posted your MSR link at 24hour.
Hi, Brad,

Thanks for posting that link. Hope my site is of some use to them over there on 24Hour.

Hey, so you live in MT? How cold does it get there? I'm working on some ideas for severe cold weather gas stoves. Stoves that should operate down to -40F or so.

HJ

#160416 - 01/15/12 10:02 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By Hikin Jim
Jim, I'm the one that posted your MSR link at 24hour.
Hi, Brad,

Thanks for posting that link. Hope my site is of some use to them over there on 24Hour.

Hey, so you live in MT? How cold does it get there? I'm working on some ideas for severe cold weather gas stoves. Stoves that should operate down to -40F or so.

HJ

Hi Jim, first I'd like to encourage you to do a post over there (like this one) of the FeatherFire... I really think this stove has merit. I'd do it, but I think, having used it and being more familiar with alcohol stoves, you're in a better position to do so.

I think the guys over there liked your MSR PR post.

I do live in Montana. Yes, it does get cold here. Most of my backpacking is in summer/fall anymore, but I am planning to get back to full-on winter trips in the future.

The coldest I've been out and cooked w/ stove in is -30*F, though -40 or even -50*F, while not the norm, certainly can happen, especially just south of where I live in Yellowstone.

I have an inordinate amount of stoves from GAZ, Bluet, Jetboil and Snowpeak canister stoves, to Svea and MSR WG stoves, and even a Russian Military Kerosene stove.

I bought my Svea 123 new in 1975 (pre-regulator model) and it's still going strong and is still one of my favorites for REAL cold...

#160437 - 01/15/12 03:12 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
hikerduane Offline

HJ, looks like we found a Stovie in Brad. He is in trouble already though it sounds like with all the stoves. smile

Duane

#160446 - 01/15/12 05:07 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: oldranger]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
oldranger, I am not giving up my Trangia, but I did send HJ the FeatherFire. I got the FeatherFire so that I could simmer the Knorr's side dishes. It does that very well.

#160449 - 01/15/12 06:07 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: hikerduane]
BradMT Offline

HJ, looks like we found a Stovie in Brad. He is in trouble already though it sounds like with all the stoves. smile

Duane

My problem is I'm a gear-head in general... especially a pack nut.

Here's what came out of the closet this past spring...

#160450 - 01/15/12 06:17 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: ringtail]
BradMT Offline

Here's a few of my stoves... the GAZ, Bluet, Russian Kerosene and Jetboil Ti are missing...

#160451 - 01/15/12 06:27 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
Hikin Jim Offline

Quote:
Pros:

Cons:

Pretty nice summary, Phat.

HJ

#160453 - 01/15/12 06:29 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
Hikin Jim Offline

Here's a few of my stoves... the GAZ, Bluet, Russian Kerosene and Jetboil Ti are missing...

NICE stuff, Brad. Are those old pots Sigg pots?

HJ

#160454 - 01/15/12 06:32 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
Hikin Jim Offline

Hi Jim, first I'd like to encourage you to do a post over there (like this one) of the FeatherFire... I really think this stove has merit. I'd do it, but I think, having used it and being more familiar with alcohol stoves, you're in a better position to do so.
Hi, Brad,

I probably will post something, but I need to play with the stove a bit more. Right now I don't have a good feel for the stove.

HJ

#160455 - 01/15/12 06:41 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
BradMT Offline

NICE stuff, Brad. Are those old pots Sigg pots?

HJ

They are old Sigg spun aluminum pots... all from the 70's when I bought them new.

#160457 - 01/15/12 06:58 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
Hikin Jim Offline

NICE. And this Russian kero stove, what does that look like? Is it a Primus knock off?

HJ

#160460 - 01/15/12 07:13 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
hikerduane Offline

Brad, that's a lot of packs. I have only had 4 packs my whole bp life, still have two. I gave away the old Camp Trails pack I started with from the early '70's and sold my scraped up Golite Gust a few years ago.

Duane

#160461 - 01/15/12 07:16 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: ringtail]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By ringtail
oldranger, I am not giving up my Trangia, but I did send HJ the FeatherFire. I got the FeatherFire so that I could simmer the Knorr's side dishes. It does that very well.

I do like the look of the featherfire.. how "fiddly" is it?
Browse my pictures

#160465 - 01/15/12 09:03 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
BradMT Offline

NICE. And this Russian kero stove, what does that look like? Is it a Primus knock off?

HJ

Exactly. Was a gift from a friend that got it in E. Germany right after the fall of communism.

#160466 - 01/15/12 09:04 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: hikerduane]
BradMT Offline

Brad, that's a lot of packs. I have only had 4 packs my whole bp life, still have two. I gave away the old Camp Trails pack I started with from the early '70's and sold my scraped up Golite Gust a few years ago.

Duane

I suppose I've had well in excess of 30 packs or more since I first started backpacking. I'm always fiddling and experimenting with packs, though I pretty well know what I like these days.

BTW, here's my all-time favorite stove...

#160488 - 01/16/12 02:08 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: hikerduane]
Hikin Jim Offline

I'm not quite as bad as Brad on packs, but close. I need to get rid of some of my old ones.

HJ

#160489 - 01/16/12 02:10 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: phat]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By ringtail

I do like the look of the featherfire.. how "fiddly" is it?
Well, that's why I'm not rushing to "publish" on my blog. I want to get a sense of how "fiddly" it is and whether or not it holds up on the trail. I want to use the stove some, see how it feels over time, and how it performs in different conditions.

The stove itself seems pretty good. Even if the air supply control failed for some reason, you'd still have a decent chimney type alcohol stove similar to a Caldera Cone type 12-10 stove or a Brasslite stove.

It's the pot supports that maybe are an issue. Haven't made up my mind yet.

HJ

#160490 - 01/16/12 04:37 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Hikin Jim]
oldranger Offline

One gets the impression that the XL provides better pot supports - amazing how much one can observe just by looking....

#160497 - 01/16/12 10:16 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: oldranger]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
OK oldranger, I kept my XL and sent the other stove to HJ.

Neither of the stoves are as stable and fuel efficient at the Caldera Cone. However, for a thru hike when you are resupplying at convenience stores the ability to simmer become very important.

As always - match your tool to the job.

#160504 - 01/16/12 01:59 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: ringtail]
skcreidc Offline

Quote:
OK oldranger, I kept my XL and sent the other stove to HJ.

So ringtail, what do you like better about the XL? I am guessing of course....

I am jealous that BradMT can find all his stoves. So far all I have found is an unused replacement cap to my SVEA. I am going to tear everthing out of the attic to find my older stoves.

#160509 - 01/16/12 02:56 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I just showed this picture to my wife. She now understands that I am not alone... smile

#160510 - 01/16/12 02:58 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: skcreidc]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You might want to tear your kids' attics apart, too. Somehow, when they both moved their stuff out of my attic, some of my stuff mysteriously stowed away in their boxes.

#160517 - 01/16/12 07:27 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Glenn]
Hikin Jim Offline

Well, I thought I'd put the FeatherFire to the test today: The Omelet Test. I mean, just how controllable is that flame anyway?

Starting the test.

Adding ingredients.

Turning the finished product. A little sticking, but not bad.

Nice fluffy eggs.

I gotta say, that's pretty darned good for an alcohol stove. And that was in an el cheapo lightweight pan.

HJ

#160522 - 01/16/12 08:13 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: BradMT]
hikerduane Offline

Brad, I invited a few from the group I bp with on a trip into the Thousand Lakes Wilderness a few hours north of where I live in mid Sept. The one young lady gear tester had a JetBoil. That thing was scary fast on boiling water. I want to try my brand new Coleman Power Boost stove, it has 14,900 btu's. If I can rig up a good windscreen, it should be real fast.
Duane

#160764 - 01/21/12 03:50 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: Glenn]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
I just showed this picture to my wife. She now understands that I am not alone... smile

laugh

#160765 - 01/21/12 03:52 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- Preliminary Look [Re: hikerduane]
BradMT Offline

Brad, I invited a few from the group I bp with on a trip into the Thousand Lakes Wilderness a few hours north of where I live in mid Sept. The one young lady gear tester had a JetBoil. That thing was scary fast on boiling water. I want to try my brand new Coleman Power Boost stove, it has 14,900 btu's. If I can rig up a good windscreen, it should be real fast.
Duane

The Jetboil Titanium has relegated all my 3-season stoves to the "never used" gear storage bin.

It boils even faster than the 1st Gen Jetboil's, and those were really good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum